Interview clothing

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Principle.*

SORRY EVERYONE.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    MF has noted your faux pas above and he is slowly shaking his head in disappointment.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I know, right?

cheaney-harry-tassel-loafer-in-black-calf-leather-p84-1647_medium.jpg
    black leather tasslled loafers.

I refuse on principal.
    Are you not supposed to wear those will a pair of Levi staypress, check button down Ben Sherman shirt and a Harrington jacket and be in 1972.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I know, right?

I refuse on principal.

Any chance you can get all the owners of same said loafers together in one room and set fire to them?

MF would approve of that course of action.

Sorry, is that the loafers or the owners of the loafers you wish to burn? The latter seems extreme if understandable.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Matthewfalle
    Rolf F wrote:
    I know, right?

I refuse on principal.

Any chance you can get all the owners of same said loafers together in one room and set fire to them?

MF would approve of that course of action.

Sorry, is that the loafers or the owners of the loafers you wish to burn? The latter seems extreme if understandable.....

MF says that the incineration should cover both the owners and the loafers. Expunge the entirety of filth in one hit.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    edited May 2018
    Webboo wrote:
    I know, right?

I refuse on principal.
    Are you not supposed to wear those will a pair of Levi staypress, check button down Ben Sherman shirt and a Harrington jacket and be in 1972.

No. You are meant to wear a pair of DM's with that outfit.

MF says that the outfit to match those looks Akers is a white boiler suit with "I am a nonce" written all over it.

Please note that it is the owner of the loafers and not MF who is the nonce. MF is the bloke that burds want to shag and blokes want to buy beer.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Webboo wrote:
    I know, right?

I refuse on principal.

No. You are meant to wear a pair of DM's with that outfit.

Not in 1972 Doc’s with rolled up Levi jeans. Can’t you remember :lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    Memorable colleagues' sartorial choices include a "Selfish C**t" t-shirt (bit strong considering our open plan office with client meetings that day) and leather shorts (different people at different times. Us creative types, eh?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    A good interview tip is to avoid third-personitis
  • Matthewfalle
    TheBigBean wrote:

MF says that is tripe. MF is Right. M F says that you obey Smithy.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Tell that to "The Donald"
  • Matthewfalle
    edited May 2018
    The MF says The Donald is a cretin.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    rjsterry wrote:
    Memorable colleagues' sartorial choices include a "Selfish C**t" t-shirt (bit strong considering our open plan office with client meetings that day) and leather shorts (different people at different times. Us creative types, eh?
    I've worked in 'creative' businesses before so I know what you mean.

We have dress down Friday in the current place but you still keep it sensible.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Accountants/bankers dressing down days uniforms:

Jeans or chinos, brown shoes, shirt, blue blazer. One button too many undone of the shirts.

Hundreds of Jeremy Clarksons all trying to out fwaarrr fwaarr each other.

The MF says that they are all sartorially ignorant.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    More unnecessary snobbery: Professional services = shirts with no pocket.

You only wear a shirt with pockets if you are emergency services.

And none of this "no iron" rubbish. Iron it.
    I iron all my clothes slowly at 37 Celsius.

And if Formaldehyde is good enough to stop Lenin from wrinkling, its good enough to treat my cotton shirts.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Jeans or chinos, brown shoes, shirt, blue blazer. One button too many undone of the shirts.

Lucky I don't conform to the stereotype then :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Lucky I don't conform to the stereotype then :wink:

The MF reckons that is the understatement of the day :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Craphat.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Rolf F wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I work in a casual office environment (I'm wearing jeans and a cycling t-shirt right now). I was administering a test for an interview earlier this week, and I wore a suit (no tie - I'd have worn one if I'd been on the formal panel or I was the interviewee).

Suit and no tie? How is it going these days David Cameron. Note, no matter what you think current fashion allows, a suit without a tie looks terrible. There is something very wrong when people think it doesn't.

Couldn't agree less. A length of cloth dangling from a collar - it looks ridiculous.

Suits only crap on most people because they look like sh1t in anything and a suit exacerbates that.

A suit with no tie looks like you are either on the way home from the pub or on the way to the bookie/loan shark.

Suit, tie, polished shoes, haircut.

I think if you wear a suit you must wear a tie, otherwise why not wear Trousers and Blazer?

from the Guardian:- Consider the kind of man who adopts this look: Simon Cowell, Roman Abramovich, Hugh Grant. All believe they look like debonair Euro-smoothies, when in reality they look like hedge funders who've fallen asleep in the sun.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Working in Cheltenham the standard uniform for professional services is a checked shirt, chinos (preferably those sorts of shades you only see in provincial independent gents outfitters) and brown brogues. A gilet is a usual addition except on the colder days where those quilted Barbour jackets are on show. Lots of tweed when things are more formal and Superdry is a must when dressing casually in case you bump into Julia Dunkerton in one of his bars.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    see you guys have it easy just chuck on a suit, shirt and tie, and you are instantly considered smartly attired.

for women there is no such universal combo goto item of clothing like that. trouser suits can make you look quite frumpy, with skirts & dresses you have to worry about, is it above or below the knee,for tops are my shoulders/arms/bra strap on show, do i look like Im going to a wedding, or a night club, is the print too busy/garish on the eye, whilst I can day to day wear some of my retro vintage inspired choices, age appropriateness comes into it too, I cant turn up wearing something my mid 20s niece could choose to wear for instance to the same interview, because Im older obviously, equally I cant look as though Ive just transported in from the 90s etc

as trust me if theres a woman on the interview panel she will be making those instant critical judgements on your clothing choices and what it means about you as a person, because we do all do that.

and thats before you worry about, so what kind of shoes go with this outfit,how comfortable are they, how far will I have to walk in them, ok back to square one.

this is why it takes us so long to get ready sometimes
  • Stevo_666
    FatTed wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I work in a casual office environment (I'm wearing jeans and a cycling t-shirt right now). I was administering a test for an interview earlier this week, and I wore a suit (no tie - I'd have worn one if I'd been on the formal panel or I was the interviewee).

Suit and no tie? How is it going these days David Cameron. Note, no matter what you think current fashion allows, a suit without a tie looks terrible. There is something very wrong when people think it doesn't.

Couldn't agree less. A length of cloth dangling from a collar - it looks ridiculous.

Suits only crap on most people because they look like sh1t in anything and a suit exacerbates that.

A suit with no tie looks like you are either on the way home from the pub or on the way to the bookie/loan shark.

Suit, tie, polished shoes, haircut.

I think if you wear a suit you must wear a tie, otherwise why not wear Trousers and Blazer?

from the Guardian:- Consider the kind of man who adopts this look: Simon Cowell, Roman Abramovich, Hugh Grant. All believe they look like debonair Euro-smoothies, when in reality they look like hedge funders who've fallen asleep in the sun.
    MF is in the military which is why his idea of what's right here is a bit odd in some respects compared to the 99.5% of the world that is 'civvy street'.
  • Stevo_666
    awavey wrote:
    see you guys have it easy just chuck on a suit, shirt and tie, and you are instantly considered smartly attired.

for women there is no such universal combo goto item of clothing like that. trouser suits can make you look quite frumpy, with skirts & dresses you have to worry about, is it above or below the knee,for tops are my shoulders/arms/bra strap on show, do i look like Im going to a wedding, or a night club, is the print too busy/garish on the eye, whilst I can day to day wear some of my retro vintage inspired choices, age appropriateness comes into it too, I cant turn up wearing something my mid 20s niece could choose to wear for instance to the same interview, because Im older obviously, equally I cant look as though Ive just transported in from the 90s etc

as trust me if theres a woman on the interview panel she will be making those instant critical judgements on your clothing choices and what it means about you as a person, because we do all do that.

and thats before you worry about, so what kind of shoes go with this outfit,how comfortable are they, how far will I have to walk in them, ok back to square one.

True, we have it easy as really the only bits of attire where there is a real choice for us blokes are ties and cufflinks.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    awavey wrote:

True, we have it easy as really the only bits of attire where there is a real choice for us blokes are ties and cufflinks.

MRFP solved half of that problem by going sleeveless
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Short sleeves, not sleeveless.

I'm now wondering if a bow tie would have been better. After all, regular ties in a clinical environment are a known hazard, but bow ties are much neater. But then I might get mistaken for an eccentric consultant.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    awavey wrote:

I still think the best option is to wear a suit - it doesn't matter whether it is a dress, skirt or trousers as they all look bland and professional which is the point of a suit.

Shoes are a bit harder for women I will give you.
  • Matthewfalle
    mrfpb wrote:
    Short sleeves, not sleeveless.

I'm now wondering if a bow tie would have been better. After all, regular ties in a clinical environment are a known hazard, but bow ties are much neater. But then I might get mistaken for an eccentric consultant.

An utterly brilliant and really lovely orthopaedic surgeon MF knows always wore a bow tie. Very very cool onhim but maybe not so much on other people.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    awavey wrote:

Not at all:

a131a6349abcef61873d6454cfcdeaa9--salwar-suits--mens-shalwar-kameez.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    awavey wrote:

Not at all:

a131a6349abcef61873d6454cfcdeaa9--salwar-suits--mens-shalwar-kameez.jpg
    Goes without saying that one option is not to wear a tie or cufflinks...