Interview clothing

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Rolf F wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I work in a casual office environment (I'm wearing jeans and a cycling t-shirt right now). I was administering a test for an interview earlier this week, and I wore a suit (no tie - I'd have worn one if I'd been on the formal panel or I was the interviewee).

Suit and no tie? How is it going these days David Cameron. Note, no matter what you think current fashion allows, a suit without a tie looks terrible. There is something very wrong when people think it doesn't.

Couldn't agree less. A length of cloth dangling from a collar - it looks ridiculous.

Suits only crap on most people because they look like sh1t in anything and a suit exacerbates that.

A suit with no tie looks like you are either on the way home from the pub or on the way to the bookie/loan shark.

Suit, tie, polished shoes, haircut.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I work in a casual office environment (I'm wearing jeans and a cycling t-shirt right now). I was administering a test for an interview earlier this week, and I wore a suit (no tie - I'd have worn one if I'd been on the formal panel or I was the interviewee).

Suit and no tie? How is it going these days David Cameron. Note, no matter what you think current fashion allows, a suit without a tie looks terrible. There is something very wrong when people think it doesn't.
    I can take the sartorial criticism, but the DC comparison cuts real deep! :cry:

I have to hurt you to cure you. It's for your own good. Everytime you put a suit on, and look at yourself in the mirror, tie-less, you will see David Cameron looking back at you! He'll go away as soon as you put the tie on!

You'll thank me in the long run........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Matthewfalle
    Prhymeate wrote:
    I've never worn a suit and tie to an interview. Black trousers and smart shirt usually. I've never really worked in a typical office environment either though, mainly design/pr agencies. If people are going to decide whether or not to give me a job based on wearing a suit over trousers and a shirt, I feel like it's not really the place for me. I get it if it's a big corporate/client facing role and that'd be your normal workwear though.

Black trousers and shirt?

Do you collect glasses in a pub?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I work in professional environment, but wear jeans & polo shirt, unless meeting externals.

I would never consider attending interview for a job in my field unless in a suit and tie.

The attire for interview depends on the type of job. You wouldn't turn up for a job as a refuse operative in a suit and tie
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,722
    Tbh people who wear ties when they’re not in external meetings and just in the office I tend to group with the Rees-Moggs of this world. Rather affected.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,022
    drlodge wrote:
    Suit and tie is the worst possible clothing for bagging a job. Tight shirt, short skirt and high heels for the win.

I'm guessing that's what you wear then?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • rick_chasey
    More importantly, don’t be a footballer; wear a half Windsor...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    If it’s an office job, suited and booted.

Can always take a tie off in between meetings but it’s much harder to put one on.

People in the U.K. don’t mind people being overdressed anywhere near as much as under dressed.

On the note of suits; 2 piece, single breasted.

Anything else and you look like a tw@t in an interview.

100% all this.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Matthewfalle
    edited May 2018
    And don't turn up in a tweed suit. You'll look a khunt and they will laugh at you behind your back.

Grey/blue suit: brown shoes, socks and belt. Not black shoes. You will look working class and/or poor.

Plain tie, crisp white shirt. Cufflinks.

Have a shave.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey

Grey/blue suit: brown shoes, socks and belt. Not black shoes. You will look working class and/or poor.

Haha. Got that the wrong way around.

No brown in town.

https://sartorialnotes.com/2016/09/02/n ... n-in-town/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/work/ ... class-sno/

Not familiar with the stories of grads being sent home until they can come back with proper shoes?

In fairness, this is a City specific affliction, but you can normally spot the dodgy brokers by their over-tight petrol blue suits and brown shoes.
  • rick_chasey
    And if we're going down the snob factor for a minute here, belt= bought off the peg.

adjusters = made to measure.

Belt is fine if you're a lawyer - you don't want your clients to think they're paying you too much - but otherwise....

(not that this is relevant for an interview).
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    And don't turn up in a tweed suit. You'll look a khunt and they will laugh at you behind your back.

Have a shave.
    You're fine apart from that. And blue shirts are OK if you're not American.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,630
    Some controversial statements there Rick
    Tbh people who wear ties when they’re not in external meetings and just in the office I tend to group with the Rees-Moggs of this world. Rather affected.

Suits and ties go together. It's either suit and tie or jeans and a t-shirt. I realise I am losing this battle with the masses though.

What about those who like a bit of symmetry?
  • Stevo_666

Can always take a tie off in between meetings but it’s much harder to put one on.

People in the U.K. don’t mind people being overdressed anywhere near as much as under dressed.

Single/double breasted suit thing is a matter of taste as far as I'm concerned. Pretty sure that double breasters haven't done me any harm.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Have a shave.

If anyone says black shoes I will kick them in the gonads. If you go black shoes you as well wear white terry towelling socks and pretend you are one of the hard lads off the school bus.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Single/double breasted suit thing is a matter of taste as far as I'm concerned. Pretty sure that double breasters haven't done me any harm.

Unless you are a fat Mafioso/Russian gangsta there is no reason to wear double breasted.

Single breasted tight fit, bit looser if doing CP.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Some controversial statements there Rick

Suits and ties go together. It's either suit and tie or jeans and a t-shirt. I realise I am losing this battle with the masses though.

What about those who like a bit of symmetry?

1) hence my feel that it's quite affected.

2) tie your knot better.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,567
    Why do some people seem to revel in being scruffy these days? Day to day I'll dress casually but when representing the company externally it's a suit and tie and the same when I want to make a personal impression. That said, I've been in a meeting where the client told me to take my tie off but that's fine it's better than having the client comment on how scruffy you look which another client did to an architect who turned up in jeans and grubby polo shirt.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Have a shave.

If anyone says black shoes I will kick them in the gonads. If you go black shoes you as well wear white terry towelling socks and pretend you are one of the hard lads off the school bus.
    Black Shoes..dress for success my son. I wouldn't be where I am if I'd worn brown shoes to interviews and I don't fancy looking like a teacher/uni professor. You'll be saying we have to grow a beard next.
  • Matthewfalle

No brown in town.

Not familiar with the stories of grads being sent home until they can come back with proper shoes?

In fairness, this is a City specific affliction, but you can normally spot the dodgy brokers by their over-tight petrol blue suits and brown shoes.

The minute I take sartorial advice from an english man/website is the minute I burn my wardrobe and go and live in a car park in an old dozzer that smells of Special Brew, pee and sperm.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2018

Hahaha it's amazing how wrong you are on this.

All it means is you don't know the rulez.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Unless you are a fat Mafioso/Russian gangsta there is no reason to wear double breasted.

Nah, double breasted just looks better. Get them tailor made.
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Have a shave.

Black Shoes..dress for success my son. I wouldn't be where I am if I'd worn brown shoes to interviews and I don't fancy looking like a teacher/uni professor. You'll be saying we have to grow a beard next.

If you are a pioneer, in La Legion or in the Navy then beards rock. If you are Richard then you will just end looking like Mr Claypole.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Pross wrote:
    That said, I've been in a meeting where the client told me to take my tie off but that's fine it's better than having the client comment on how scruffy you look which another client did to an architect who turned up in jeans and grubby polo shirt.

Most of the senior directors of the company I'm looking to go and see are architects. Not that I'm one myself, I'd like to point out!
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:

revelations-about-a-young-jacob-rees-mogg-make-the-grown-up-jacob-rees-mogg-make-sense-1200x800.jpg?w=1200&h=1&fit=max&auto=format%2Ccompress
  • Stevo_666

No brown in town.

The minute I take sartorial advice from an english man/website is the minute I burn my wardrobe and go and live in a car park in an old dozzer that smells of Special Brew, pee and sperm.
    In that case you'll be recommending pointy brown shoes and waistcoats if my Milan lot are anything to go by. and even they can't carry it off.
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

No. Second hand car salesmen wear double breasted. Ian Beale wears double breasted. Rolf Harris and Dotard wear double breasted.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

revelations-about-a-young-jacob-rees-mogg-make-the-grown-up-jacob-rees-mogg-make-sense-1200x800.jpg?w=1200&h=1&fit=max&auto=format%2Ccompress
    I'll agree with you on the black shoes point but on the double breasters, it depends who's wearing it :) Rees Mogg would not look good in anything, would he?
  • Matthewfalle
    Pross wrote:
    That said, I've been in a meeting where the client told me to take my tie off but that's fine it's better than having the client comment on how scruffy you look which another client did to an architect who turned up in jeans and grubby polo shirt.

Most of the senior directors of the company I'm looking to go and see are architects. Not that I'm one myself, I'd like to point out!

Suit, tie, etc etc as above then. Totes obvs innit.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I decided to forego the jacket at a recent round of interviews. Navy trousers and socks, white shirt, light blue floral tie, black shoes. From three interviews I got two offers and, from a fourth an invitation to return for a more senior post that hadn't been advertised, then I got offered that job as well. I actually had to wear a short sleeved shirt to one interview due to poor turnaround on the laundry. I still got the job, though.