2018 Ronde van Vlaanderen 1UWT. Antwerpen › Oudenaarde (266.5k) *Spoilers*

1171819202123»

Comments

• M.R.M. wrote:
    I hated seeing the spitting in the general vicinity of Nibali, but I understand how that kind of life and struggle can change a person.

Did that definitely happen? When it was on live, Carlton Kirby latched on to that, and Sean Kelly didn't disagree. I didn't see anything, not even when watching the recording later on. Maybe my eyes are even worse than I thought!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,238
    Kirby sees what he wants to see and it usually bears little relation to what is actually going on.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,093
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Him dropping Nibali on a gentle hill was a highlight of the Spring so far. The latter was made to look silly and has received not nearly enough mocking.

It's not that gentle.

Nibali, the rider who only two weeks ago we were celebrating as the rider with one of the most complete palmares in modern cycling.... :lol:

Power to weight met power?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    M.R.M. wrote:
    I hated seeing the spitting in the general vicinity of Nibali, but I understand how that kind of life and struggle can change a person.

Did that definitely happen? When it was on live, Carlton Kirby latched on to that, and Sean Kelly didn't disagree. I didn't see anything, not even when watching the recording later on. Maybe my eyes are even worse than I thought!

I didnt see anything either,but at worst Tersptra was just a bit mucusy having chased to the front and when he flicked his head round to see where nibbles were, gravity did the rest

as has been said Kirby often seems to be watching a completely different race to the one he is commentating on
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    awavey wrote:
    I didnt see anything either,but at worst Tersptra was just a bit mucusy having chased to the front and when he flicked his head round to see where nibbles were, gravity did the rest
    Maybe it’s a Dutch thing? That Laurens Ten Dam is always spitting at people!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,787
    What are you lot on about?

DZ4y2qgWsAAI8TG?format=jpg&name=large

Look at that face.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,374
    M.R.M. wrote:

It happened. Terpstra caught Nibali and then pulled through. Flicked his elbow for Nibali's turn. Nibali declined the turn. Terpstra then spat once possibly twice in a way that Nibali would/could ride into it. He could have turned and spat on the other side towards the edge of the road, but it looked rather deliberate.

However, I'm not going to say it was. There is no way of knowing and I much prefer the level headedness here compared to the hysteria of social justice warriors on social media. Maybe it was frustration, maybe it was fatigue, maybe it was nothing. Ideally he should feel remorse and possibly apologize to Nibali and not do it again. Only he will really know if that is even necessary.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,093
    UK Cycling Expert

@ukcyclingexpert
    Apr 1
    More
    Hearing rumours that Luke Rowe has been shown the red card by the referee!! Brave decision to send off the only Welshman in the Rhondda!!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,444
    For what it's worth the Dutch are ecstatic about Terpstra's win.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    For what it's worth the Dutch are ecstatic about Terpstra's win.

Sticking it to them solo in their own backyard ;)
  • rick_chasey
    No-one has attacked on the section Terpstra dropped Nibali and not made it onto the podium, says Nick Nuyens.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    No-one has attacked on the section Terpstra dropped Nibali and not made it onto the podium, says Nick Nuyens.

Is that by any chance because you'd only attack there if you had team mates behind and weren't the only hope of getting a result?
  • rick_chasey
    ShutupJens wrote:

Is that by any chance because you'd only attack there if you had team mates behind and weren't the only hope of getting a result?

What, like Sagan did?
  • No-one has attacked on the section Terpstra dropped Nibali and not made it onto the podium, says Nick Nuyens.

Apparently Anna Van Der Breggen went from pretty much the same spot in the women's race earlier the same day as well.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,188
    Nibali didn't make the podium. He attacked on that section.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Take it up with Nuyens.

though I'd suggest the insight is probably more enlightening than the nitpicking
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,212
    That was the 7th edition since the finish moved from Meerbeke to Oudenaarde - there have been two successful attacks there in that time.

It's a small data set.
  • rick_chasey
    Sagan went there too and finished it off on the Pater didn’t he?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,212

They went earlier I think, before the Kruisberg.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,188
    andyp wrote:

They went earlier I think, before the Kruisberg.
    Yeah. Kwiatkowski attacked, Sagan followed, Vanmarcke later bridged.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    What are you lot on about?

DZ4y2qgWsAAI8TG?format=jpg&name=large

Look at that face.

Fabulous photo - sums up Belgian classics for me. .... Huge effort, cobbles, proper fans.
    So much better than the nonsense that is football.