2018 Ronde van Vlaanderen 1UWT. Antwerpen › Oudenaarde (266.5k) *Spoilers*

Comments

• ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Doesnt look good on the bike!!???

Yeah I don't know what it is, just doesn't look quite right.

Mostly the negative feelings towards Niki though are because of watching him riding away to win and willing, in vain, another rider to close the gap and get the win
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,907
    QS don’t think they fit right now. In a couple of years maybe.

Where were benoots teammates

At home, injured.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,599
    QS don’t think they fit right now. In a couple of years maybe.

Where were benoots teammates

He hasn't really got any. That's the problem.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    Highlight was hi Nibali bye Nibali.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Highlight was hi Nibali bye Nibali.

Was quite amusing, though I'll give him credit, he lasted far longer than I thought he would and gave it a go.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Also Gilbert is riding PR next Sunday....

Could take a step closer to collecting all the monuments.

Also if I was van Aert I'd go to Trek

Gilbert does look bigger this year, really fancy him for PR.

Treks a good shout. QS has got to be the aim but can’t help thinking he needs a bigger he currently has but remaining the top boy
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • rick_chasey
    Eddy Planckaert blown away by Terpstra’s erop en erover on the Kwaremont.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Rolf Sørensen blown away by the fact that Mads Pedersen nearly held his wheel.
  • rick_chasey

Rolf Sørensen blown away by the fact that Mads Pedersen nearly held his wheel.

Fair.

I thought Terpstra was about to nuke at that point.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    ShutupJens wrote:

Treks a good shout. QS has got to be the aim but can’t help thinking he needs a bigger he currently has but remaining the top boy

Exactly my thoughts, Trek need the big name that they've not had since Fabs retired. They'd throw the full weight of their resources behind the road and cyclocross surely
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,577
    Sure I read that Boonen considered Terpstra the best team mate he ever had. By a mile.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • When do the favourites cease to be favourites by virtue of them being favourites?
  • Women s race Dutch 1st 2nd 3 rd 5th 7th
    Men's WINNER
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,142
    ShutupJens wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

Exactly my thoughts, Trek need the big name that they've not had since Fabs retired. They'd throw the full weight of their resources behind the road and cyclocross surely

Good shout! Trek are big on Cross, having their own CX World Cup at Waterloo; and he also has shoes sponsored by Bontrager.
    van Aert and Pedersen is a pretty strong and young duo; the same Pedersen who was an outstanding junior, who was only beaten by a certain van der Poel in the World Junior Road Race.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,242

Gilbert looked very strong today. Must be one of the favourites for P-R.
  • why all the Terpstra hate?

You can count the strop that he threw minutes after winning E3 as being amongst my reasons.
  • rick_chasey
    Gweeds wrote:
    Sure I read that Boonen considered Terpstra the best team mate he ever had. By a mile.

True story.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    why all the Terpstra hate?

You can count the strop that he threw minutes after winning E3 as being amongst my reasons.

He was shaggwd after the race and then was being dragged around by someone. I'd be annoyed too
  • rick_chasey
    Studio sounds surprised that Gilbert will ride Liege.

Gilbert counters “it’s only once a week guys”.
  • rick_chasey
    Lots of riders compliant how tired they are and how fast quick step rode the first 2/3rds.

That hard race blunted the punchier riders and suited the stronger guys like Terpstra.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    why all the Terpstra hate?

He's a bit of a knobmoomin. Top rider, obviously, but a bit arrogant and not always a team player. Remember when Stanndard beat 3 QS riders to win OHN? It was Terpstra that closed the gap on a teammate.

We met him with Gilbert, Lampaert and others at the Quickstep ‘pop up shop’ in Kortrijk over the Ghent Wevelgem weekend. Seeing the team interact both there, and after the E3 race which he also won, I’d say he’s with a team that are flying and are very relaxed with each other. They seem to want to share the spoils equally so they get my vote for being a great group and Terpstra is core to that.

I witnessed the security guard incident after the E3 and quite frankly I’d have head butted him after I finished GV if he’d pulled me around like that and I wasn’t racing !!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Lots of riders compliant how tired they are and how fast quick step rode the first 2/3rds.

That hard race blunted the punchier riders and suited the stronger guys like Terpstra.

QS tried on multiple occasions to get a man in the break, which obviously lead to the break being pulled back. Took ages to get an actual break away. They were a few minutes ahead of the 45km/h schedule for the first third of the race - until the break eventually went. Mass slowdown for a snack an pee break and then QS came to the front for the first cobbled section. They lead for a little while, then disappeared into the bunch to regroup before the final hellingen.
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    So, a select group towards the end with all four of QS's potential winners in, and other teams were still pulling. An excellent display by QS, who did pretty much what you would expect, and an inept response from the other big teams.

Pedersen and Van Aert were astonishing, and Nibali continues to amaze.
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393

Uhm - ' I was riding in a race, and these other guys were going, like, way tooooo fast'

I've limited sympathy with them.
  • Inspiring ride from Oliver Naesen for 11 th
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,509
    Unfortunately lunch over ran so I missed the race but I have to say, what a performance by My Man (that I'd never heard of an hour ago) Oliviero Troia. If it hadn't been for lack of team mates he'd have torn Terpstra a new one.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,190
    Pross wrote:
    Unfortunately lunch over ran so I missed the race but I have to say, what a performance by My Man (that I'd never heard of an hour ago) Oliviero Troia. If it hadn't been for lack of team mates he'd have torn Terpstra a new one.
    But my man outsprinted your man for 65th place showing that in fact he would have won had be not been a Movistar rider.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    But my man outsprinted your man for 65th place showing that in fact he would have won had be not been a Movistar rider.

My Man Luka came in in 85th, a clear sign of the hard work he did to get his teammate in the break. Chapeau, Luka.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,271
    People talk about Flanders being hard but it’s almost nothing compared to efforts of the thousands of armchair fans right now doing their utmost to not seem as p!ssed as they are to the in-laws over Easter dinner...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    People talk about Flanders being hard but it’s almost nothing compared to efforts of the thousands of armchair fans right now doing their utmost to not seem as p!ssed as they are to the in-laws over Easter dinner...

I'm the fan equivalent of wheelsucking then.

Home alone and barely managed to get out of my dressing gown today.

We've still not heard back from emadden.

I hope he's alright.