YESSS!!!!!!! CK is going away for a bit

Since then, nothing.
    R.I.P. emadden.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Unfortunately lunch over ran so I missed the race but I have to say, what a performance by My Man (that I'd never heard of an hour ago) Oliviero Troia. If it hadn't been for lack of team mates he'd have torn Terpstra a new one.
    But my man outsprinted your man for 65th place showing that in fact he would have won had be not been a Movistar rider.

Your man beat my man into 66th.

My man would clearly have won if he wasn't basically named after a rather strong beverage.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Unfortunately lunch over ran so I missed the race but I have to say, what a performance by My Man (that I'd never heard of an hour ago) Oliviero Troia. If it hadn't been for lack of team mates he'd have torn Terpstra a new one.
    But my man outsprinted your man for 65th place showing that in fact he would have won had be not been a Movistar rider.

My Man Luka came in in 85th, a clear sign of the hard work he did to get his teammate in the break. Chapeau, Luka.

Are you sure that was your Luka? Only a quick look at the results reveals a Luka in 84th too.

Are you sure you've got the right Luka, the clumsy one who lives on the second floor?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    People talk about Flanders being hard but it’s almost nothing compared to efforts of the thousands of armchair fans right now doing their utmost to not seem as p!ssed as they are to the in-laws over Easter dinner...

I'm the fan equivalent of wheelsucking then.

Home alone and barely managed to get out of my dressing gown today.

We've still not heard back from emadden.

I hope he's alright.

The lack of decent Flanders Reds in the bottle shop has led me to be more sober than expected.

Last time we had the in laws over I got my father in law (to be) extremely drunk on 13% stouts and he was in big trouble with my mother in law to be. This time he is refusing all alcohol offers...
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Sagan just isn’t as good as made out. He’s is still amazing however but people make him out to be a god. Plus I think he’s a bit of a whopper

People on this forum or cycling fans in general?
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    .... just woke up... what did I miss? :lol::lol::lol:

Thank fook I recorded it :lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    emadden wrote:
    .... just woke up... what did I miss? :lol::lol::lol:

Thank fook I recorded it :lol::lol::lol:

Resurrection!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    why all the Terpstra hate?

You can count the strop that he threw minutes after winning E3 as being amongst my reasons.

He was shaggwd after the race and then was being dragged around by someone. I'd be annoyed too

Nah he was a bell end
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,796
    Gweeds wrote:
    Sure I read that Boonen considered Terpstra the best team mate he ever had. By a mile.

True story.

the number of race winning(perhaps?) positions he was in previously he sacrificed is too many to count.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Milton50 wrote:
    Sagan just isn’t as good as made out. He’s is still amazing however but people make him out to be a god. Plus I think he’s a bit of a whopper

People on this forum or cycling fans in general?

In general
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Don’t want to bring too much politics into it but EU is stopping georestricting within the EU which is why some of us have found it so easy to get Sporza coverage.

:cry:
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Don’t want to bring too much politics into it but EU is stopping georestricting within the EU which is why some of us have found it so easy to get Sporza coverage.

Politics or not it was quite a thing to be able to see the race from the flag dropping. I hardly watch any cycling but maybe I'll start
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    The more I think about it, the better Mads Pedersen's ride becomes.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Milton50 wrote:

It was an epic ride hanging on in there, actually to my mind better than the winners in some ways.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,796

virgin made a big thing of this when you log in. shame it won't last.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,457
    M.R.M. wrote:
    My man Niki priming up the attack to make the decisive split. Just wait and see. Has the race exactly where he wants it! Pure team player. #striveforfive #vengaboys
    MY MAN! Called it! :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Women s race Dutch 1st 2nd 3 rd 5th 7th
    Men's WINNER

I think i've fallen voor Annemiek, such a powerhouse at 35 an a looker to boot.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Milton50 wrote:

Getting due credit from Cosmo for 84km off the front of the bunch.

http://cyclocosm.com/2018/04/how-the-ra ... ders-2018/

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • rick_chasey
    Great ride by Nikki.

Still basking tbh.
  • rick_chasey
    Some more colour on Terpstra's background, for anyone who wants to know.

He was rejected by Rabobank as a junior for not having the numbers.

Clawed his way up through to get a ride on Milram on virtually no money as a bottle carrier.

He used to ask when he could do anything other than support other riders and was refused, so he started to attack at really annoying moments; made a name for himself in the peloton for being a pain in the ass for his attacks (I remember a rather long solo one in Amstel).

He's also got a training group in North Holland (just like the Belgians do) which he's the boss of; he decides who comes in and who doesn't, and has fairly strict criteria. Must be pro, must be local, must ride hard, must be liked by Terpstra. Apparently a lot of junior trainers ban their riders from trying to ride with Terpstra; he rides too hard for them and they end up broken. He also has a habit of half-wheeling people he doesn't like when training, before dropping them.
  • rick_chasey
    He also revealed last year the coaches said if he lost 4 kilos he'd win the Ronde, so he did.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,315
    Some more colour on Terpstra's background, for anyone who wants to know.

He was rejected by Rabobank as a junior for not having the numbers.

Clawed his way up through to get a ride on Milram on virtually no money as a bottle carrier.

He used to ask when he could do anything other than support other riders and was refused, so he started to attack at really annoying moments; made a name for himself in the peloton for being a pain in the ass for his attacks (I remember a rather long solo one in Amstel).

He's also got a training group in North Holland (just like the Belgians do) which he's the boss of; he decides who comes in and who doesn't, and has fairly strict criteria. Must be pro, must be local, must ride hard, must be liked by Terpstra. Apparently a lot of junior trainers ban their riders from trying to ride with Terpstra; he rides too hard for them and they end up broken. He also has a habit of half-wheeling people he doesn't like when training, before dropping them.

I wasn’t particularly fond of him before, but now it turns out he’s genuinely a bit of a tosser he’s gone up in my estimation.
    Him dropping Nibali on a gentle hill was a highlight of the Spring so far. The latter was made to look silly and has received not nearly enough mocking.
  • rick_chasey
    Agreed.

I think he gets a bad rep because most of us read the Belgian press over the Dutch and he's everything the Belgians don't like. Too Dutch, too self-assured, too calculating, too cynical.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Beatmaker wrote:

It's not specific to this article but these articles summarising Twitter arguments are always so lazy and rubbish.

The format is to embed the tweet, then repeat what the tweet says, then add some supporting tweets, and repeat what they say as well.

Doesn't add anything apart from annoying repetition, why not just stick with embedding the tweets (for people who can't follow a Twitter thread, presumably) - or better still, write some copy which actually adds something to the story (heaven forbid).
  • FDJ riders don't 'alf whinge, it has to be said
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,315
    Agreed.

I think he gets a bad rep because most of us read the Belgian press over the Dutch and he's everything the Belgians don't like. Too Dutch, too self-assured, too calculating, too cynical.
    Next door neighbours, innit.
    Those are all traits us Brits have been told admire for the last 40 years.
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    Agreed.

And beating Boonen in Roubaix a few years back didn't go down too well with some of our Belgian friends :D

I see him (and his group) occasionally round here, not all pro's, but fair to say that they don't hang around....
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,457
    I think someone who wasn't the golden child like Sagan or Boonen and had to claw his way up tooth and nail and had to nurture the chip on his shoulder deserves the benefit of the doubt. I hated seeing the spitting in the general vicinity of Nibali, but I understand how that kind of life and struggle can change a person.
    It's so much easier when blessed with talent and having the numbers early and just dominating races like Sagan or Van der Poel. Having to persevere can enforce negative character traits, but not everyone is able to shut it off outside of the job.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Him dropping Nibali on a gentle hill was a highlight of the Spring so far. The latter was made to look silly and has received not nearly enough mocking.

It's not that gentle.

Nibali, the rider who only two weeks ago we were celebrating as the rider with one of the most complete palmares in modern cycling.... :lol: