Has the bottom fallen out of Elite racing in the UK?

RayParker
RayParker Posts: 15
edited February 2018 in Pro race
Very interesting and concerning news about lack of an Elite calendar for both men and women, lack of confirmation of events and no definite news on National Champs.

Have the events/scandals of 2017 seen sponsorship drop to the extent that races will be less.

Is external funding really required to bankroll the National Champs?

https://www.velouk.net/2018/01/17/news- ... r-two-day/

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Policing costs I suppose. That's pretty much what did for Tour of the Peak - think the police used to cover the event for free and when that stopped it was always on borrowed time despite the efforts of I think Planet X to keep it going. Shame really, I enjoy the highlights of the UK road races on TV, crits seem to get pushed because of the practicalities but for me they aren't the real thing.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    But which is arguably where a well organised governing body,and especially one who insists on name dropping their latest sponsor at every opportunity, should step in and ensure such races are funded so they continue, because ultimately it's meant to be in their flipping interest to do so to give that step to aim for the next generation of TeamGB cyclists.
  • So is the feeling that the Varnish and Froome stories and the general widespread criticism of BCF and subsquent funding cut and departure of a large number of the coaching team down to a real lack of cash/budget at HQ?

Or that sponsors that have bankrolled events post London 2012 have grown weary of the bad press and gone elsewhere?
  • RayParker wrote:
    So is the feeling that the Varnish and Froome stories and the general widespread criticism of BCF and subsquent funding cut and departure of a large number of the coaching team down to a real lack of cash/budget at HQ?

Or that sponsors that have bankrolled events post London 2012 have grown weary of the bad press and gone elsewhere?

OR that neither are key factors, and local and regional councils are having to deal with drastically slashed budgets, private companies are reducing their sponsorship budgets, and police numbers are being hammered so badly that they cant provide security that races organisers require to be able to run events on public roads
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    IMHO RR on UK roads will soon disappear aside from a few Pro events, even DIv champs are nt always happening.

The increase in traffic, poor road surfaces plus all the reasons given above.

There does seem to a dislike of cyclists in the general population, the like of which i ve never witnessed before, probably rather ironically, because so many cyclists are on our crowded roads and drivers intolerance.
  • +1 to that.

It feels a much more hostile environment.
  • RayParker
    RayParker Posts: 15
    edited January 2018
    Interestingly BC have now confirmed the locations of the Cyclocross National Trophy and National Champs for 2018/19.

So perhaps the need is to find more private closed road venues that negate the need for police, road closures and local authority costs to be an issue.

It doesn't appear to be an issue in Yorkshire but clearly elsewhere problems are mounting.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Interesting first posts Mr Parker.

As hs been said - it's nothing to do with scandals - its costs.
  • Thank you.

However BCF are surely sufficiently wealthy to fund centrally?

Membership and race levies are higher than ever so the requirement for sponsorship suggests that BCF are less than willing to fund races themselves?

And if this is due to BCF funding being cut this year then it could well be down to the other factors.

Or have BC never been liable to fund the Elite Road Series and the equivalents?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Lookyhere wrote:
    IMHO RR on UK roads will soon disappear aside from a few Pro events, even DIv champs are nt always happening.

I don't know there seems to be as many open road races now as 15-20 years ago. Local road race leagues have acted as a catalyst for clubs and teams to organise events. Div Champs have suffered because organising is more of a pain than it used to be so if you already put on a race you are less likely to stick your hand up to run the Divs and the tradition that the winner's club organise the next one is long gone.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Too
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    There are a few Elite racers in the club I ride with now and again, they’ve made the same observation. I think the 2012 ‘bunk up’ effect has dulled, and the focus of the ‘limelight’ has turned away, so local authorities are not as interested in co operating to the extent they were, in recent years. It’s not good news, but running / triathlon are the new ‘thing’ apparently, so that’s where you need to be, to stay with the ‘cool kids’ now.
  • milemuncher1
    edited January 2018
    Being ( albeit a small ) part of the ‘national body’ for cycling in the U.K. I can make a song and dance about this ( and other issues ). I fear that so much is going on at the political end of the organisation, that they may not be exactly ‘all ears’ at present.
  • The Tour of the Peak disappeared in 2005?

I think we said all this , then
  • milemuncher1
    The Tour of the Peak disappeared in 2005?

I think we said all this , then

True, but that was a mere tremor, I think we’re seeing the ‘10 on the Richter scale’ quake now.
  • I think Parkrun is a very interesting illustration of that increase in demand. Their model (free) seems to work but clearly that is due to that fact they use facilities that don't need paying for.

Darts is also seeing a significant step up in interest, with huge numbers of the 'hipster set' playing!!
  • milemuncher1
    RayParker wrote:
    I think Parkrun is a very interesting illustration of that increase in demand. Their model (free) seems to work but clearly that is due to that fact they use facilities that don't need paying for.

Darts is also seeing a significant step up in interest, with huge numbers of the 'hipster set' playing!!

By jingo, I think he’s got it :D
  • Do I?

My main objective is to try and understand why a governing body that's cash rich cannot use some of its own funds to help support Elite races and the National Champs.

Drops in membership will follow if the profile of the sport drops.

The lack of The Revolution series on TV this year was another interesting development, have Eurosport dropped their interest in the domestic scene?

Another trend?
  • milemuncher1
    RayParker wrote:
    Do I?

My main objective is to try and understand why a governing body that's cash rich cannot use some of its own funds to help support Elite races and the National Champs.

Drops in membership will follow if the profile of the sport drops.

The lack of The Revolution series on TV this year was another interesting development, have Eurosport dropped their interest in the domestic scene?

Another trend?

Cycling, is about to regress to the default ‘quirky / slightly difficult ‘ status that it’s traditionally had ( from the viewpoint of the general population). We need another ‘2012’ or the average joe, is going to go and find pastures new. That’s just human nature. It’s down to the ‘cash rich’ national body, to start reaping the rewards they’ve been cultivating over the last few years, to keep the momentum that’s built. I doubt it will happen though. They’re all to busy forming a circle jerk, and they’re massively taking their eye off the ball. It’s a hopeless task to try and shout at the people who count to wake up. They’re too busy trying to get a knighthood, before the heat’s gone.
  • Something that mustn’t be underestimated is the re-jig in how Sport England are allocating funding going forward. There is a greater emphasis on “holistic” sport and how sport can be used as a mechanism for greater change in individuals and communities (rather than elite performance as used to be key). This places BC’s strategy further towards community sport and recreation rather than the elite end.

This has been coupled with reduced funding being allocated due to less people playing the lottery, meaning that BC are looking to make the organisation more self-sufficient by changing the way that revenue is generated (sponsorship and membership).

I organise a National B road race and with the support of the region (mainly volunteers with some BC staff and contractors contributing) it is not too much to make a race happen. Stepping up to the levels we are used to for National A level events is where the costs become prohibitive.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    I think there'll also be a number on long time organisers who have just had enough and, unfortunately the new generation of cyclists have no interest is giving anything back.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Granted and that is sadly a generational thing. In local football leagues are folding as players are not willing to give anything back and help run things once they have stopped playing.

But we are talking about Elite level cycling here, teams that at present have sponsors and riders.

At this level are we relying on older volunteers to support BCF, why on earth don't they they pay a staff to help do this?

What do BCF use their income for otherwise?
  • gsk82
    RayParker wrote:
    Granted and that is sadly a generational thing. In local football leagues are folding as players are not willing to give anything back and help run things once they have stopped playing.

But we are talking about Elite level cycling here, teams that at present have sponsors and riders.

At this level are we relying on older volunteers to support BCF, why on earth don't they they pay a staff to help do this?

No one knows. BC won't pay to put on a race. Races are only there to make money for them. They're a leach on the sport.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    gsk82 wrote:
    RayParker wrote:
    Granted and that is sadly a generational thing. In local football leagues are folding as players are not willing to give anything back and help run things once they have stopped playing.

No one knows. BC won't pay to put on a race. Races are only there to make money for them. They're a leach on the sport.

BC publish their accounts, in summary form, in their annual report each year.

They are the governing body of the sport, not a promoter. You can't do both, as you create a conflict of interest.
  • gsk82
    andyp wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    RayParker wrote:

They are the governing body of the sport, not a promoter. You can't do both, as you create a conflict of interest.

What about the fa cup, rugby league challenge cup, uci cross among lads of other races and many more?
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    In the 1990s I was involved in the three day Tour of Lancashire. It was a great event, but the police had to pull out due to the costs involved as they received no funding from the organisers, or anyone else, for policing it. They calculated that the police were effectively the biggest financial contributors to the event and that became unsustainable. The head of the organisers (race director) was a bloke called Brian Cookson, as I recall. I wonder whatever happened to him?
  • awavey
    RayParker wrote:
    I think Parkrun is a very interesting illustration of that increase in demand. Their model (free) seems to work but clearly that is due to that fact they use facilities that don't need paying for.

I was going to say parkrun seems to be where local authorities are at in terms of current focus on physical activity rather than cycling, but I know from some of the local runs near me, they are increasingly doing the volunteers holding buckets expecting donations thing now
  • awavey
    andyp wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    RayParker wrote:

but their aim surely has to be to promote cycling as the sport that they govern, because if they dont, there wont be a sport for them to govern anymore, I mean Im not saying these are great examples of sports bodies, but the FA, the ECB, rugby, hockey, rowing,basketball, motorsport etc etc have no problem stepping in to try to promote their sport from grass roots levels and up through their structure to the elite level because they know thats how you create your elite level talent pool that go on to international success.

BC shouldnt be able to sit there and go well its not our problem that no-one can arrange an elite road series anymore because it costs too much to put on, while name checking one of the worlds largest banks everytime they open their mouths, I mean they even put the damn logo on my membership card now, so why cant HSBC fund the shortfall, thats the deal they have isnt it ?? its crazy to think last year it was called the HSBC road series, their logos were everywhere on the coverage and yet it seems like they or BC didnt provide any useful contribution or assistance for it at all.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    awavey wrote:
    but their aim surely has to be to promote cycling as the sport that they govern, because if they dont, there wont be a sport for them to govern anymore, I mean Im not saying these are great examples of sports bodies, but the FA, the ECB, rugby, hockey, rowing,basketball, motorsport etc etc have no problem stepping in to try to promote their sport from grass roots levels and up through their structure to the elite level because they know thats how you create your elite level talent pool that go on to international success.
    I'd say from my reasonably extensive experience with hockey the priority of the national governing bodies has been to promote the sport rather than govern it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tbh I'd rather see local councils put their money into things like Parkrun to get people of all ages active.
    Elite cycling well really only caters to the elite...

As it is Parkrun doesn't cost the council anything and will save money for everyone in the long run.

I've not heard of any runs with Collections apart from local charity cases ? We had a whip round to get a defib machine. I think all Park runs have them now ?