Froome Vuelta salbutamol problem

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    What's the interaction between UKAD and UCI's anti doping, Froome doesn't get tested by UKAD does he?

UKAD have to actually deal with the case. Any AAF is passed to the national AD.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    What's the interaction between UKAD and UCI's anti doping, Froome doesn't get tested by UKAD does he?

That’s not true in cycling anymore. It gets passed on to an independent group called LADS - Legal Anti-Doping Services. I think the UCI got fed up with appealling national AD decisions.

Also with the UKAD stats. 1. Very small data set and 2. all were likely small time sportsmen who were unable to offer a proper defence. One of them - a footballer for Brentford actually escaped with just a warning having admitted he took too much.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

That’s not true in cycling anymore. It gets passed on to an independent group called LADS - Legal Anti-Doping Services. I think the UCI got fed up with appealling national AD decisions.

Also with the UKAD stats. 1. Very small data set and 2. all were likely small time sportsmen who were unable to offer a proper defence. One of them - a footballer for Brentford actually escaped with just a warning having admitted he took too much.

Cheers. I haven't been keeping up clearly.

It'll still be down to British cycling to suspect his licence I assume?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Isn't the small data set relevant though? - If everyone is on it and the urine level is too low then it should be popping up every week.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Isn't the small data set relevant though? - If everyone is on it and the urine level is too low then it should be popping up every week.

I'd have thought so, it makes Froome's double the limit a huge outlier and therefore much harder to explain other than by him having taken too much salbutamol.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Imagine the uproar if the drink drive limit was set at two pints of wife-beater but the test was blood/urine /whatever. I don't think it would last longer than the first lawyer to get pulled. In the same vein, I would of thought the test is invalid as a measure of injestation and any well funded sports team would get out of it.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    It's mentioned by Inrng here http://inrng.com/2018/03/thursday-shorts-24/
    Cyclingnews headlines “UK Anti-Doping data a blow to Chris Froome’s salbutamol defence” but it’s not really the case. It is a small blow to Sky’s media comments that these cases happen and are resolved in private and therefore by implication Froome’s case is just one of many only it got leaked. But we’ve known this, the stats exist on the WADA website too. But Froome’s case is not about others, statistics or the law of large numbers, it’s still about him proving he took a permitted amount as the reason behind the reported high quantity in the sample.

Also very interesting just above that:
    Talking of BMC Racing, remember Samuel Sanchez? He had an A-sample positive for GHRP-2, a kind of growth hormone. 196 days later he’s still provisionally suspended. Long but there’s also André Cardoso’s positive A-sample for EPO just before the Tour de France. He’s still provisionally suspended some 248 days later. These things can’t be rushed… but still.

So people who think Froome's case is being dragged out by Sky are ignoring other examples of cases taking much longer to resolve (admittedly, they are both provisionally suspended - but they both had positives for banned substances)
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    It's mentioned by Inrng here http://inrng.com/2018/03/thursday-shorts-24/
    Cyclingnews headlines “UK Anti-Doping data a blow to Chris Froome’s salbutamol defence” but it’s not really the case. It is a small blow to Sky’s media comments that these cases happen and are resolved in private and therefore by implication Froome’s case is just one of many only it got leaked. But we’ve known this, the stats exist on the WADA website too.

Are the number of sally cases flagged & prosecuted known? (I appreciate that you are quoting Bob, I'm not having a pop)

C'mon guys, we've almost made the century
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Must be a freedom of information thing flying around.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • RichN95.
    One point at comparing Froome with other cases. How many of those other athletes were tested almost every day before and after the fateful test. My guess is none. Froome's defence team will have data that was not available to the others and that may hold the key to the case.
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95 wrote:
    One point at comparing Froome with other cases. How many of those other athletes were tested almost every day before and after the fateful test. My guess is none. Froome's defence team will have data that was not available to the others and that may hold the key to the case.
    I went to the cycling podcast live thing in Salford last night, and Richard Moore said exactly that, apparently from what he has heard speaking to people in the team Froome's excreted salbutamol over the Vuelta shows some very unexpected trends compared to his dosages, and that will be part of their defence. However he did say he still thought Froome would cop a ban.
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I went to the cycling podcast live thing in Salford last night, and Richard Moore said exactly that, apparently from what he has heard speaking to people in the team Froome's excreted salbutamol over the Vuelta shows some very unexpected trends compared to his dosages, and that will be part of their defence. However he did say he still thought Froome would cop a ban.
    I'd agree with him regarding ban. Particularly as this is public. I think that it is has certainly prejudiced the process.

I also think that using past statistics to make some judgement on Froome's chances of success is a bit like using the murder conviction rate of black men in Los Angeles to make an assessment on OJ Simpson's chances of being found not guilty. They're different levels. (That OJ was almost certainly guilty emphasises my point)

As an aside, was the event any good? We're quite discerning in Wales so we don't let any old act into town until they've proved themselves - hence why no Welsh dates. Ned Boulting had to do a small tour first and even then we only let him into Newport.
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95 wrote:

As an aside, was the event any good? We're quite discerning in Wales so we don't let any old act into town until they've proved themselves - hence why no Welsh dates. Ned Boulting had to do a small tour first and even then we only let him into Newport.
    Yes, the event itself was good. My girlfriend enjoyed it too and she's not really a cycling fan.

However it was rather expensive for what was essentially a promotional event for their book. It was organised by Penguin books live and waterstones, and if you go to a normal promotional event/reading at waterstones it's usually free/nominal price, this was £16 plus booking fee. Admittedly the Lowry probably costs more than waterstones' event space, but still.
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Yes, the event itself was good. My girlfriend enjoyed it too and she's not really a cycling fan.

However it was rather expensive for what was essentially a promotional event for their book. It was organised by Penguin books live and waterstones, and if you go to a normal promotional event/reading at waterstones it's usually free/nominal price, this was £16 plus booking fee. Admittedly the Lowry probably costs more than waterstones' event space, but still.
    I guess Ned Boulting was a lot different. He has a background in performance comedy (he was in Cambridge Footlights with Sue Perkins and Al Murray)
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Good discussion on radio five. Usual drum Banging but also Steve Redgrave saying you take the drugs your medical condition requires. He was saying he was taking insulin through the last three years of competition etc....
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    The inhaler fiasco is a grey area whereas, there's not a hope in hell that someone with type 1 diabetes could compete at that sort of level.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Can I be the last post on page 99 perhaps ?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Another 10 posts on here yet, nervous nineties still
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    So, round two of "who will get the 100 page post", after BikeRadar buggered up their databases....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    What's happened? I thought I'd got the first post on page 100 a couple of days ago? :(
    Where have those posts gone?
    Have those pesky Russians attacked this thread and eliminated a number of posts?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Second bite at the cherry to take it to 100 pages!
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    What's happened? I thought I'd got the first post on page 100 a couple of days ago? :(
    Have those pesky Russians attacked this thread and eliminated a number of posts?

Its the retribution Putin threatened for expelling their diplomats.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    apropos of nothing I was listening to a bit of Courtney Barnett last night and wondered if Froomedog is a fan of "Avant Gardener" (available on Youtube and all good streaming services):

Should've stayed in bed today, I much prefer the mundane
    I take a hit from an asthma puffer
    I do it wrong, I was never good at smoking bongs

[Chorus]
    I'm not that good at breathing in
    FCN = 4
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

Its the retribution Putin threatened for expelling their diplomats.

Nah, PInno hacked the forum to get another chance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    100?
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • What's the latest on this?
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    I'll have another go..................
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • mtb-idle