Froome Vuelta salbutamol problem

Comments

• And now the official Sky response
    https://www.teamsky.com/article/ts-statement

Has the Clinic exploded yet?
  • Ruh roh
  • UCI statement:

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci-sta ... er-froome/

No automatic ban even though both A and B samples are positive.
  • Meltdown
  • Inrng mentioning that Ulissi was busted for a smaller dose and ate a 9 month ban.....

I use Salbutamol and I cycle. I can’t cycle without it when my asthma flares up but then again I choose not to cycle when I’m not well.

Shite From sky as well. Releasing a presser because of likely media interest even though they’ve known for two months yet they only release it twenty minutes before the UCI break the news.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    The BBC love this. Fuller report on radio 4 at 8.30
  • Extra packs of man size tissues for Dan Roan

Oh and I do believe I hear robust chuckles emanating from a house in Chorley
  • inseine
    goodbye to the SPOTY
  • inseine wrote:
    goodbye to the SPOTY

Was he in with a real chance? Even if he rocked up and won all 3 grand tours next year he'd come 3rd behind a tennisist and a boxer. (He's not an Olympian, even though he actually is, but in the eyes of the popular press he isn't. He's one of those bl**dy lycra louts holding up car drivers, what pay road tax and therefore own the road.)
  • inseine
    inseine wrote:
    goodbye to the SPOTY

Was he in with a real chance? Even if he rocked up and won all 3 grand tours next year he'd come 3rd behind a tennisist and a boxer. (He's not an Olympian, even though he actually is, but in the eyes of the popular press he isn't. He's one of those bl**dy lycra louts holding up car drivers, what pay road tax and therefore own the road.)

I don't really care, but I thought he had a chance since Murray has had a rubbish year and Hamilton (who would normally get it) is embroiled in that tax thing with his plane.
  • inseine
    So, if 1600 is the absolute max, even with a TUE, surely he's in trouble?
  • oxoman wrote:
    I know a few ex pro racers and current lower cat riders that suffer from asthma especially when pushing really hard and they have to use something to allow them to relax the airways to breath properly. Why shouldn't they compete, we don't stop living because of illness we keep going in normal life so why not athletes.

It’s fine to take but within limits. These samples show that Froome was twice the limit.
  • Toast for breakfast, then.
    Surprise Christmas presents huh?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    so froome says they are right to ask questions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/42335916

so does he think he'll get off??
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    inseine wrote:
    goodbye to the SPOTY
    More to the point is he’ll lose the Vuelta. Unlikely to be at the Giro either.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Lionel Birnie‏ @lionelbirnie · 9m

I was going to do my Christmas shopping this morning.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    giphy.gif
  • rick_chasey
    There is precedent that you get done for this too.

Petacchi tested over the limit for salbutamol, had it absolved by the italian fed, and then that was overruled by CAS.

IIRC.

Edit: from WIki
    After a non-negative result for the asthma drug salbutamol, which Petacchi had clearance to use, he was placed on non-active status and missed the 2007 Tour de France.[10] Petacchi was absolved when the Italian Cycling Federation ruled that overuse of Salbutamol was human error.[11]
    On 6 May 2008, the Court of Arbitration for Sport banned Petacchi until the end of August, applied retroactively from November. It said all competitive results obtained during the 2007 Giro d'Italia shall be disqualified with all of the resulting consequences including forfeiture of any medals, points and prizes. Results after 31 October 2007 and during his ban were disqualified including five Giro d'Italia stage wins. The court said Petacchi had not intended to cheat and that it was likely that he had inadvertently consumed too much medication, but he had not exercised "utmost caution."[12] The case was considered controversial,[13] as it kept Petacchi from starting the Tour de France as he had planned[14] and for the court ruling that he should be suspended despite acknowledging that he had not cheated. Petacchi maintained that he had done no wrong.[15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandr ... llegations
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    oh FFS
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited December 2017
    There is precedent that you get done for this too.

Petacchi tested over the limit for salbutamol, had it absolved by the italian fed, and then that was overruled by CAS.
    A better precedent is Ulissi - more recent and under current rules. He got a nine month ban. I’d expect similar here.

I may be wrong but I think Petaccho would have been cleared under current rules.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    That man constantly evades my memory.
  • gsk82
    Who will he ride for in 2019 after he gets banned and Sky sack him?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    gsk82 wrote:
    Who will he ride for in 2019 after he gets banned and Sky sack him?
    Astana ;).
  • If he got a 9 month ban backdated to 20th September he'd be OK to ride the Tour as his comeback race.
  • rick_chasey
    If he got a 9 month ban backdated to 20th September he'd be OK to ride the Tour as his comeback race.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Shite From sky as well. Releasing a presser because of likely media interest even though they’ve known for two months yet they only release it twenty minutes before the UCI break the news.

Due process means it should be confidential until B samples tested, investigation is completed, etc. They've only come out with that as it's been leaked and they want to try and control the narrative. Standard behaviour from a media-savvy organisation.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:

Due process means it should be confidential until B samples tested, investigation is completed, etc. They've only come out with that as it's been leaked and they want to try and control the narrative. Standard behaviour from a media-savvy organisation.

Hang on.

If they've known for two months, why play all the silly buggers with the Giro?
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:

thought both a & b samples were positive, or have I mis read that
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    edited December 2017
    Anyway else read this and just think

FFS here we go again.

I have been a a big admirer of Froome but this looks sloppy and the armchair critic wont make much distinction between salbutamol EPO or any other PED...they just see 'cheat'

Sky and Froome have let everyone down here :?

VENTOLIN ABUSE - FFS
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • gsk82
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:

The UCI president is once again making himself look like a twitter account. Basically saying it's secret and there's rules that he doesn't want to break, but yes he'll confirm the rumours anyway.