Harry. Is it ok...?

Comments

• Ballysmate wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Anyway Harry. Good luck mate. But I don't want to hear anything more about your private life. It just isn't important.
    This.

Very much this.

Don't give the Royal Family much thought at all but to all the republicans on here, how would I materially benefit from the abolition of the monarchy?

well the Queen is the richest person in the world so if we sold off all of her land, houses and valuables then it would pay for a fair few new hospitals or reducing the national debt.

or their wealth could be shared equally and you would be approx £1k better off

I can't believe a single tourist would cease to come here because we don't have a monarch that they will never see anyway
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Ballysmate wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Anyway Harry. Good luck mate. But I don't want to hear anything more about your private life. It just isn't important.
    This.

Very much this.

Don't give the Royal Family much thought at all but to all the republicans on here, how would I materially benefit from the abolition of the monarchy?

well the Queen is the richest person in the world so if we sold off all of her land, houses and valuables then it would pay for a fair few new hospitals or reducing the national debt.

I can't believe a single tourist would cease to come here because we don't have a monarch that they will never see anyway

£340 million apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33253411
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    This.

Very much this.

£340 million apparently.

The same article says the Crown Estate is worth just shy of £12b...
  • dinyull
    Still, not the richest person but not short of a bob or two.

And in touch with the peoples - https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/sep ... ham-palace
  • ballysmate
    Dinyull wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    This.

Very much this.

£340 million apparently.

The same article says the Crown Estate is worth just shy of £12b...

The same article also says that the treasury gets 85% of the profits from the Crown Estate.
  • ballysmate
    Two issues are getting conflated. namely the Queen's wealth and the Monarchy.
    I can see how sharing The Queen's wealth would net me a fiver, but how would abolishing the monarchy and becoming a republic net me anything?
  • dinyull
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I can see how sharing The Queen's wealth would net me a fiver, but how would abolishing the monarchy and becoming a republic net me anything?

I can see £20bn the county would benefit from in that BBC article alone.

And as SC says, people wouldn't stop coming because they are no more. See France.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ballysmate wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    This.

Very much this.

Really? I mean, I don't get it myself either (I think Harry seems like a decent enough bloke so I wish him well but otherwise have zero interest in it all and can't see why anyone else would but never mind) but surely you can see, to take one example, that there are vast numbers of deranged Americans who will love this and will come over and spend money. And they do it all the time with or without weddings.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ballysmate
    Dinyull wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

And as SC says, people wouldn't stop coming because they are no more. See France.

I will type slowly so that people can understand. :wink:
    How does becoming a republic benefit me?
    Not how does selling the Crown Estates benefit me.
  • dinyull
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Sh*t, sorry.

I forgot that public services weren't getting cut to shreds. Schools aren't begging parents to pay for luxuries likes pens and pencils. Another another winter hospital crisis isn't looming.

I know I'd prefer £20b tied up in land and diamonds instead.
  • ballysmate
    Dinyull wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Sh*t, sorry.

I forgot that public services weren't getting cut to shreds. Schools aren't begging parents to pay for luxuries likes pens and pencils. Another another winter hospital crisis isn't looming.

Typing even more slowly now for you.
    Sell the estates (85% of the return on which now go to the treasury anyway apparently), sell the crown jewels and divvy up the money if that is your wont. But you are still left with the Monarch as head of state..
    All I asked is how does abolishing the Monarchy benefit me?
  • Dinyull wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

my first number was a branding agency making numbers up. Seems their wealth is nearer £30bn which would net you £500 plus asaving of about a quid a year in not funding them.

Write that on the side of a bus and they would be gonners
  • ballysmate
    Have you a link to the £30 bn figure?

So having netted me £501 (less tax at the appropriate rate) I would still have a monarch. How does moving to a republic net me any more?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    Rolf F wrote:
    ..there are vast numbers of deranged Americans who will love this and will come over and spend money.
    Wot? Vast numbers of deranged Yanquis will brave the no go areas of Londonistan? Has Covfefe-man taught them nothing?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Sh*t, sorry.

Sell the estates (85% of the return on which now go to the treasury anyway apparently), sell the crown jewels and divvy up the money if that is your wont. But you are still left with the Monarch as head of state..

There's a lot of ranting about how awful it is that the head of state is chosen by hereditary principle. Given the last year or so, I'd have to say that my faith in the, err, wisdom of the masses has been somewhat shaken. Would we really want someone who puts themselves forward for the post?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

You'll get that lovely warm satisfied feeling knowing that Andrew won't be using tax payer helicopters to go and play golf and that fergie and the kids can't buy any more ski chalets in France (bet she voted Brexit as well)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Sh*t, sorry.

There's a lot of ranting about how awful it is that the head of state is chosen by hereditary principle. Given the last year or so, I'd have to say that my faith in the, err, wisdom of the masses has been somewhat shaken. Would we really want someone who puts themselves forward for the post?
    shirley, even voting for a head is better than having it sexually transmitted
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Have you a link to the £30 bn figure?

So having netted me £501 (less tax at the appropriate rate) I would still have a monarch. How does moving to a republic net me any more?
    me me me :wink:
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    edited November 2017
    Ballysmate,

How would we benefit? It's the principle.

That institution is stuck in the dark ages, there's no place in the 21st century for an unelected hereditary monarch who is forced upon us and lives a wealthy privileged lifestyle while we all live in austerity.
    Is Britain multi-cultural? Because we are not allowed to have a head of state from our other cultures. Not even Catholicism is allowed.

We don't truely know the cost of the monarchy, as for some reason their finances are the only thing excempt from the Freedom Of Information Act, ask yourself why is this ? Would they admit to being poor value for money ?
    Then there's other budgets that have to pay for them, such as Police security, travel, state visits, renovation of their many homes, etc

Here's something for you to think about... all those other countries that have became a republic haven't gone back to being a monarchy. Surely that tells you something. (Spain went back to a Monarchy through violent force, when General Franco overthrew the democratically elected republic)
    If we were to colonise a new planet today, would we have a monarchy? Where one person is unelected, never has to work (or contribute), yet gets to live a wealthier and more privileged lifestyle than everyone else ?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Bet Harry's stag do will be fun. I wonder if it will involve fancy dress?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Bet Harry's stag do will be fun. I wonder if it will involve fancy dress?

Stag do in the Cayman Islands. Shooting swans and peasants
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    Bet Harry's stag do will be fun. I wonder if it will involve fancy dress?
    I was thinking the Saxe-Coburg Germanic side of his genetics would influence his choice of dress (again), but then I remembered...
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    edited November 2017
    ben@31 wrote:
    If we were to colonise a new planet today, would we have a monarchy? Where one person is unelected, never has to work (or contribute), yet gets to live a wealthier and more privileged lifestyle than everyone else ?

I'm no Royalist, but they do work... I bet you're not still working at 95.
  • bianchimoon
    joe2008 wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

I think your definition of work differs somewhat from mine
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    joe2008 wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

Not every job is 9 to 5 down the pits. So by your definition, does a footballer 'work', or a cyclist for that matter.

"The Queen, who will be 90 in April, carried out 306 engagements in the UK and 35 abroad in 2015."

that sounds like hard work to me at 90.
  • dinyull
    joe2008 wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

Out of interest, what work do they do?

Other than putting their names to charities? https://www.theguardian.com/voluntary-s ... -labour-mp
  • bianchimoon
    joe2008 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

Not every job is 9 to 5 down the pits. So by your definition, does a footballer 'work', or a cyclist for that matter.

"The Queen, who will be 90 in April, carried out 306 engagements in the UK and 35 abroad in 2015."

that sounds like hard work to me at 90.

so do tell, if it's such hard work why hasn't she passed the baton to younger fitter members of the exclusive club? could it possibly be that it's perhaps not such hard work after all?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Excellent news everyone. .......

IT'S A WINDSOR WEDDING !

Anyhow. What the f**k is Harry doing marrying Markel. I thought she was Chancellor of Germany, and possibly married. Does her husband know? And is this a stealthy, fiendish German plot to subvert Brexit.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,738

a very short piece of research would reveal that Harry does not want people hearing about his private life

His family's PR people obviously didn't get that memo
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bianchimoon
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Excellent news everyone. .......

IT'S A WINDSOR WEDDING !

Anyhow. What the f**k is Harry doing marrying Markel. I thought she was Chancellor of Germany, and possibly married. Does her husband know? And is this a stealthy, fiendish German plot to subvert Brexit.

Jermans in the monarchaicy.. whatever next!