Anyone planning a ski or snowboard trip this winter?

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

We are booked 1st 3 weeks of Feb to LAX. (ex SYD)

The loose plan is straight to Vegas, for a night or so, then grand canyon, then up to Salt Lake. Ski a bit of the SLC resorts and hire a car and maybe do Crested Butte then up the other way. Few days in each place.

Nice.

Lake Tahoe is worth a mention. Haven’t been there myself but my brother has a few times and really likes it. Plus they’ve had a ton of snow already.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,902
    edited January 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

The PITA of all the testing etc is enough to put me off - I want to go on holiday to relax and unwind etc. That said, the decision is already made for me as I've torn a tendon in my upper leg which will probably only be finishing healing towards the end of the season and I'm not going to risk it.

No return testing now, other than D2 lateral flow, and no quarantine. So only the outward test to worry about now, depending on destination.

Bad luck about the tendon, BTW.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Cases/100,000 in France ≈ UK now so....maybe....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

Even with Macron's spite, I can't see any way they will be able to justify continuing the discriminatory travel ban.
  • Two trips booked, Corvara (Sella Ronda) at the end of Jan and Tignes on the 12th of Feb.
    Everything is crossed that common sense will prevail and this weaker strain will allow the world to reopen once more.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • kingstonian

ddraver said:

Even with Macron's spite, I can't see any way they will be able to justify continuing the discriminatory travel ban.
    Here’s hoping sense prevails.....
  • ddraver
    but Boris it's cold outside...
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,922
    Sounds like there's a meeting on 12 Jan in France that MAY see a relaxation on the ban for tourism from the UK.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,494

Stevo_666 said:

The PITA of all the testing etc is enough to put me off - I want to go on holiday to relax and unwind etc. That said, the decision is already made for me as I've torn a tendon in my upper leg which will probably only be finishing healing towards the end of the season and I'm not going to risk it.

No return testing now, other than D2 lateral flow, and no quarantine. So only the outward test to worry about now, depending on destination.

Thanks. By time I get to go, hopefully it will be even less involved. Worst part is that it has kept me off the bike for a couple of months and counting - and I now live in a pretty good area for cycling.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver

Sounds like there's a meeting on 12 Jan in France that MAY see a relaxation on the ban for tourism from the UK.

The current ban runs until Jan 15 so that is the meeting to discuss if it is extended or not.

Feelings are hopeful but not expectant it seems. Tour Companies beginning to cancel holidays for the rest of January now as 3 days isn't enough notice either way.

But nobody really knows...
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Thanks. By time I get to go, hopefully it will be even less involved. Worst part is that it has kept me off the bike for a couple of months and counting - and I now live in a pretty good area for cycling.

Perfect torture... that sucks :(
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,494
    edited January 2022

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Perfect torture... that sucks :(
    Yep - just have to be patient.

I'm at least doing a bit on my OH's exercise bike now to ease back in gently (per the physios advice).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Dorset_Boy
    edited January 2022
    ddraver said:

The current ban runs until Jan 15 so that is the meeting to discuss if it is extended or not.

Feelings are hopeful but not expectant it seems. Tour Companies beginning to cancel holidays for the rest of January now as 3 days isn't enough notice either way.

But nobody really knows...
    i believe Crystal have been cancelling holidays 2 weeks ahead.
    The resorts will no doubt be lobbying hard to have their half term visitors, but will Macron listen?

I think they might allow visits to second homes and to visit relatives, but suspect tourism will continue to be screwed.
  • ddraver
    Dunno...

About to head out on a tour in the sun before (hopefully) we get some snow at the weekend. Must admit there are some benefits to you lot not being able to come 😏
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian
    ddraver said:

Dunno...

About to head out on a tour in the sun before (hopefully) we get some snow at the weekend. Must admit there are some benefits to you lot not being able to come 😏

Damn you !!!!!
  • ddraver
    Town gossip is that tomorrows announcements will see the lifting of restrictions tomorrow, just a question of exactly when. Gossip is for next weekend rather than immediately

Fingers crossed!
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

Town gossip is that tomorrows announcements will see the lifting of restrictions tomorrow, just a question of exactly when. Gossip is for next weekend rather than immediately

Fingers crossed!

I saw that the Telegraph had heard something on the grapevine too. 🤞
  • kingstonian
    Here’s hoping.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Whispers and secrets...

You might be wondering where our earlier shared post from the Mairie de Morzine-Avoriaz regarding the borders opening this weekend has gone… here’s some background to that post. (Spoiler alert - it’s still good news).
    Most of us can agree that these border restrictions are political. But as time went on and they became even more ridiculous, they also became dangerous. Today in Morzine, the slopes are almost empty (you can even get a space in the Pleney car park - shocker!). The streets are quiet, businesses are struggling and the anxiety felt by local business owners is horrible. It’s difficult for me to exaggerate how significant these restrictions are to your favourite ski resorts.
    At the same time the French government have been dropping tiny hints of easing these restrictions. We understand that a decision was made this morning to open the borders this Saturday, this news was communicated to the elected officials in ski resorts across the Alps earlier today. Amazing! The Brits will be back this weekend! Hurrah! A further pause, the absence of any new information or any follow-up statement… it’s all very well opening the borders for this weekend, but if that announcement comes too late, then another vitally important week of the ski season will be lost. There’ll be no time for any required tests, the uncertainty will cause more cancellations…
    So the Mairie de Morzine-Avoriaz, in a bold attempt to keep the Winter 22 season alive, published an update for British skiers - “we’ll see you this weekend”. It’s frustrating for everyone involved to wait for an government update so they wanted to send a clear message to you; Morzine-Avoriaz is waiting for you. We’re expecting you THIS weekend.
    As always, we’re here to share info, updates and answer your questions. Keep the faith, your favourite ski resorts need you!
    #LoveMorzine
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

Whispers and secrets...

You might be wondering where our earlier shared post from the Mairie de Morzine-Avoriaz regarding the borders opening this weekend has gone… here’s some background to that post. (Spoiler alert - it’s still good news).
    Most of us can agree that these border restrictions are political. But as time went on and they became even more ridiculous, they also became dangerous. Today in Morzine, the slopes are almost empty (you can even get a space in the Pleney car park - shocker!). The streets are quiet, businesses are struggling and the anxiety felt by local business owners is horrible. It’s difficult for me to exaggerate how significant these restrictions are to your favourite ski resorts.
    At the same time the French government have been dropping tiny hints of easing these restrictions. We understand that a decision was made this morning to open the borders this Saturday, this news was communicated to the elected officials in ski resorts across the Alps earlier today. Amazing! The Brits will be back this weekend! Hurrah! A further pause, the absence of any new information or any follow-up statement… it’s all very well opening the borders for this weekend, but if that announcement comes too late, then another vitally important week of the ski season will be lost. There’ll be no time for any required tests, the uncertainty will cause more cancellations…
    So the Mairie de Morzine-Avoriaz, in a bold attempt to keep the Winter 22 season alive, published an update for British skiers - “we’ll see you this weekend”. It’s frustrating for everyone involved to wait for an government update so they wanted to send a clear message to you; Morzine-Avoriaz is waiting for you. We’re expecting you THIS weekend.
    As always, we’re here to share info, updates and answer your questions. Keep the faith, your favourite ski resorts need you!
    #LoveMorzine

My hunch on getting Feb half-term tickets early looks like paying off. It'll go nuts, I suspect.
  • ddraver
    Yeah I think February is a cert.

I'm thinking of next week for the benefit of my bank balance of nothing else...
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    The Swiss will probably close their border with France at the weekend just as France opens up!
    (Hopefully that won't happen, and heard nothing to suggest it will).
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,619
    Is there any snow?
  • ddraver
    Knee deep powder yesterday and plenty of it still. Finally got some faceshots

Bit sharky at the bottom tho

(Needs another snow thanks to the December Canacule melting all the base)
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

Knee deep powder yesterday and plenty of it still. Finally got some faceshots

Bit sharky at the bottom tho

(Needs another snow thanks to the December Canacule melting all the base)

Was it as cold there last night as it was on Vercors? -30C!! Most of their snow had gone with the few very warm days, but then they had a good couple of days of dumpage followed by a very cold Mistral, so the 'resorts' are open again.
  • ddraver
    It's pretty nippy. But warmer today but I'm not up the hill.

Looks like another dry spell for a while yet tho. Time to swap the big skis for the light skis again...
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian
    Can’t tell you how pleased I am with this change. Excellent news and the right decision. My kids will be delighted when I tell them this evening.
  • Dorset_Boy
    ddraver said:

It's pretty nippy. But warmer today but I'm not up the hill.

Looks like another dry spell for a while yet tho. Time to swap the big skis for the light skis again...

Today's youff, unable to ski the pow unless they are on massively wide skis eh?!!!!
    Should be able to ski the pow well on anything! B):D

Glad to see sense has finally prevailed and the resorts will get their much needed British visitors again.