Las Vegas

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    My wife's done a community role (visiting people in their homes) in the NHS. I can fairly confidently say that she never wished she could legally carry a gun while doing so. This is the point Rick's making. Isn't it better to live somewhere you don't feel so scared that you want to arm yourself?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Trying to think in the mindset of a gun owner in a country where it is so easy to buy a gun, a place that has a different culture and daily media portrayal of situations that you should fear, might sound like it is easy. It isn't.

It is no more easy than understanding why Americans find any of their sitcoms funny when they are plainly not, why they think they should have a sing of the national anthem before taking a sh1t, or why they don't scream the country down at having a complete air-headed berk standing for president let alone being one.

There's not much that can be done or needs discussing, they either get on with some proper gun control or it stays about the same.

As for moving somewhere where there are no guns, people tend to stay where they are familiar, people don't even move out of run down small towns in the UK where there are no jobs when all they've got to do is naff off and claim somewhere else until they get a job. Risk becomes normal where bad things continually happen.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Graeme_S wrote:
    My wife's done a community role (visiting people in their homes) in the NHS. I can fairly confidently say that she never wished she could legally carry a gun while doing so. This is the point Rick's making. Isn't it better to live somewhere you don't feel so scared that you want to arm yourself?
    They do double up though for certain visits.
    That way there is at least help, or a witness. And it is becoming more prevalent...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    And as an aside and for the record, as everyone on BB knows - I actually detest gats and all associated with them. Freaking hate them and would love never to see any again.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    In fairness, if guns were banned, and the ban well enforced she wouldn't need to carry the gun in the first place.

Which is the whole argument, you numpty.

Andy anyway, my argument was, it's all very well waving a gun at someone, but if they pull one out themselves, you better be prepared to shoot them.

Hence, my point about 'if you're gonna be armed, you need to be prepared to use it'.

Otherwise you're better off just letting the guy take your stuff and you not be shot.

Yup - I can see all the bad people handing in their guns straight away - rapists, dealers, robbers - sheeesh: there would be hundreds of them lining up down the street to hand in their pieces.

Ridiculous statement.

Cloud bloody cuckoo land.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Graeme_S wrote:

Yes it is but sometimes you can't.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Graeme_S wrote:

I worked in the NHS and frequently had to call the Feds to help out on jobs. If she's never felt threatened then I wish I had her job.

And I'm not a particularly small, naïve or wall flower type of bloke.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    In fairness, if guns were banned, and the ban well enforced she wouldn't need to carry the gun in the first place.

Andy anyway, my argument was, it's all very well waving a gun at someone, but if they pull one out themselves, you better be prepared to shoot them.

Hence, my point about 'if you're gonna be armed, you need to be prepared to use it'.

Otherwise you're better off just letting the guy take your stuff and you not be shot.

Yup - I can see all the bad people handing in their guns straight away - rapists, dealers, robbers - sheeesh: there would be hundreds of them lining up down the street to hand in their pieces.

Ridiculous statement.

I don't think you're really reading what I'm writing.

It's fine, but don't get arse-ache when you don't get the logic.

There's a reason, presumably, you don't walk around England holding a gun, right?
  • rick_chasey

I worked in the NHS and frequently had to call the Feds

Bahaha, which film was this in?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I worked in the NHS and frequently had to call the Feds to help out on jobs. If she's never felt threatened then I wish I had her job.
    She doesn't work in the community anymore, but it would have been mainly elderly people she would have been visiting. She's a physiotherapist, I think it was stroke rehab she was doing last time she worked in the community. She's doing heart failure and cardiac rehab in a hospital based role now.
    And I'm not a particularly small, naïve or wall flower type
    Neither's Mrs S ;) (she's 5'11")
  • Matthewfalle

Sorry - I'll translate into Rick speak - her majesty's constabulary - you know, the Peelers. Those who deal with those people outside of the gates of the rented south London apartment block.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mfin

Sorry - I'll translate into Rick speak - her majesty's constabulary - you know, the Peelers. Those who deal with those people outside of the gates of the rented south London apartment block.

I think you'll find that's normal language, not Rick speak. The only people who call the Police the Feds in this country are wannabe rapper chavs.
  • Matthewfalle

Ridiculous statement.

There's a reason, presumably, you don't walk around England holding a gun, right?

I'm reading what you're writing and it's utter fairy tale nonsense. Dreamer stuff.

When was the last time you visited the real world?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    mfin wrote:

I think you'll find that's normal language, not Rick speak. The only people who call the Police the Feds in this country are wannabe rapper chavs.

And anyone under 25 or isn't Rick.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey

Mate, I don’t live in South London.

Who wants to live South of the river?

I don’t think you really understand the argument but it’s fine.

I feel pretty safe walking around the U.K. without a gun.

Most police seem to do it too, and they go looking for trouble.

Why d’ya think that is?
  • Matthewfalle
    Graeme_S wrote:
    She doesn't work in the community anymore, but it would have been mainly elderly people she would have been visiting. She's a physiotherapist, I think it was stroke rehab she was doing last time she worked in the community. She's doing heart failure and cardiac rehab in a hospital based role now.
    And I'm not a particularly small, naïve or wall flower type
    Neither's Mrs S ;) (she's 5'11")

Old people with strokes to do some physio or kicking down the doors to get the overdosed smack head out of the shooting gallery to fill them full of Narcan.

There may be a slight difference in clientele. You should check with her.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mfin
    And anyone under 25 or isn't Rick.

No, you are actually doing a disservice to anyone under 25 there, they are not all street talking dimwits who use american style phrases.
  • rick_chasey

Ridiculous statement.

I'm reading what you're writing and it's utter fairy tale nonsense. Dreamer stuff.

When was the last time you visited the real world?

Yeah you’re right.

I just sit in a chair. My life is entirely fictional.

Do you walk around the U.K. carrying a gun then?
  • Matthewfalle

Mate, I don’t live in South London.

Who wants to live South of the river?

I don’t think you really understand the argument but it’s fine.

I feel pretty safe walking around the U.K. without a gun.

Most police seem to do it too, and they go looking for trouble.

Why d’ya think that is?

Most bobbies don't which is why there has been has massive increase in recruitment for armed busies/busies with Issued Tasers.

I don't think you quite understand the real world but it's fine.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure.

It doesn’t answer my question though, does it?
  • mfin
    Most bobbies don't which is why there has been has massive increase in recruitment for armed busies/busies with Issued Tasers.

Why are you saying most don't feel safe because they don't have guns. The ones I know personally have never said anything to that affect. Maybe it is true, I don't know. Where are you getting that information from? (That most don't feel safe)
  • rick_chasey
    Who here walks around the U.K. with a gun?

If not, why not?
  • Matthewfalle
    edited October 2017
    mfin wrote:

Why are you saying most don't feel safe because they don't have guns. The ones I know personally have never said anything to that affect. Maybe it is true, I don't know. Where are you getting that information from? (That most don't feel safe)

One. Now that's the results of a survey we can all trust..............

Where was he working out of interest?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

If not, why not?

Depends on your job, Richard. Mostly you wouldn't recognize those who do because they are slightly cleverer than you which is why their job allows them.

Oh - and bad people.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Sure.

It doesn’t answer my question though, does it?

What doesn't?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mfin wrote:

One. Now that's the results of a survey we can all trust..............

Where was he working out of interest?

Oh dear!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    Haha so do you?

TBH, if you carry it on your way to the shops on your free time, you might want to re-evaluate a few life choices.
  • Matthewfalle
    Haha so do you?

TBH, if you carry it on your way to the shops on your free time, you might want to re-evaluate a few life choices.

God no, I hate the frickin' things, although I do carry them for work. They are massively inconvenient if you really want to know.

And why would I want to re-evaluate a few life choices?

I take it you're not a risk taker or like serving your country then?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628

If not, why not?

Nope. Not even in a slightly scruffy bit of south London.

Clearly we're all oblivious to the ever-present danger. Last I heard the police were struggling to find firearms officers, but I'll concede it's not something I follow closely. Got any actual figures MF?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    mfin wrote:

Maybe of some interest: http://metfed.org.uk/news?id=7185