Diesel or petrol

124»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,797
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Straying from the OP subject but anyway. My JLR source tells me that from 2020 all new models announced will be either hybrid or electric. That's new models not existing ranges. Also that they are Tesla obsessed, lots of cross comparing going on with Model X.
    Sod that, I'm going to get myself a big **** off v8 before they ban them :)
    Or petrol stations die out. At some point - probably much sooner than 2040 - it will become uneconomic to run a petrol station (it seems to barely scrape through now without a mini supermarket attached).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,743
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Straying from the OP subject but anyway. My JLR source tells me that from 2020 all new models announced will be either hybrid or electric. That's new models not existing ranges. Also that they are Tesla obsessed, lots of cross comparing going on with Model X.
    Sod that, I'm going to get myself a big **** off v8 before they ban them :)
    Or petrol stations die out. At some point - probably much sooner than 2040 - it will become uneconomic to run a petrol station (it seems to barely scrape through now without a mini supermarket attached).
    All the more reason to get that v8. You only live once.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Buy a decent 2-3 year old car and let some other sucker take the big hit on depreciation. That's what I'll be going when I replace my current cars.
    Unless an employer is "giving" you a car and if you need a car, this has been the best solution for many a year.

Under 500 still gets you a decent car. If anything expensive goes then no great loss.

Make your mind up, in your previous post you were worried about lives lost due to emissions to save a few quid. I doubt the emissions from a £500 banger are better than they are from a modern vehicle.
    Very low emissions if it's outside of the house waiting for parts.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Manufacturing emissions from a new car especially one with a bunch of batteries aren't going to be negligible...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    Jez mon wrote:
    Manufacturing emissions from a new car especially one with a bunch of batteries aren't going to be negligible...
    This is the point that a lot of people conveniently forget. I was once told by someone in the trade that the brake pads used on the DLR trains are some special material that leaves absolutely no harmful dust and are completely environmentally friendly in use. But the manufacturing process is significantly more toxic than for standard brake pads. The people commissioning them didn't care as they just wanted to be able to claim running the trains was 100% green, environmental cost of manufacturing is conveniently swept under the carpet.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    This is the point that a lot of people conveniently forget. I was once told by someone in the trade that the brake pads used on the DLR trains are some special material that leaves absolutely no harmful dust and are completely environmentally friendly in use. But the manufacturing process is significantly more toxic than for standard brake pads. The people commissioning them didn't care as they just wanted to be able to claim running the trains was 100% green, environmental cost of manufacturing is conveniently swept under the carpet.
    Electric cars don't scale up to a vehicle population of 2bn.
    There is no magic lithium mine, nor lanthanum, neodynium, cobalt etc.
    Autonomous vehicles will at least reduce the number on the roads by a factor so less "stuff" tied up sat on the drive.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

I seem to remember the very same point being made about the factory that made Catalytic Converters, apparently it through out more harmful stuff during the manufacturing process than it ever saved on cars.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,833
    orraloon wrote:

I don't get the Tesla obsession. I understand that they do electric cars well and built a specific electric car rather than adapting an existing car to run on electricity but I think the (interior) styling of them is hideous. It looks like the sort of design a primary school kid would come up with after watching too much sci-fi.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

I heard somewhere that the tin needed for Toyota Prius hybrid system is mined in the US/Canada, shipped over to Japan and then shipped back to US/Canada/Europe for sale.

Said in the lifetime of the car a V8 Land Rover was better for the environment.

It could be absolute bull$hit like....
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Had a diesel Jaguar X-Type once, couldn't stand it and got rid of it within a year. Never had a diesel before or since and never will again.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,797
    Dinyull wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

I heard somewhere that the tin needed for Toyota Prius hybrid system is mined in the US/Canada, shipped over to Japan and then shipped back to US/Canada/Europe for sale.

Said in the lifetime of the car a V8 Land Rover was better for the environment.

It could be absolute bull$hit like....
    As a lot of people stand to lose a lot of money in the switch away from petrol/diesel, there are a lot of 'stories' doing the rounds. For starters they tend to forget that oil requires energy to extract it from the ground, refine it and ship it around the world before you even think about putting it in your fuel tank.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,740
    WTf?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41399497

A Dyson electric car? I.e. Some piece of sh1tty overpriced plastic that breaks within a few months? Sinclair C5? Stick to the hand driers pal.
  • orraloon wrote:
    WTf?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41399497

A Dyson electric car? I.e. Some piece of sh1tty overpriced plastic that breaks within a few months? Sinclair C5? Stick to the hand driers pal.
    The forst version will be really good. Then the "improved" versions will each get worse as they cock up more and more of the basics in the vain attempt to dress up design differentiation as engineering.