Diesel or petrol

Comments

• seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/buying/what-is-care-by-volvo

Slightly OT but a bold move from Volvo. That's a wodge per month but it's a premium car and probably works out fairly close to a PCP deal.
    Mobile phone type contracts for cars is the future.

at £629 a month, it isn't for me!
    A bit of competition in this market and some competitive pricing will make it more attractive...... one day.

It's not actually, relatively speaking, all that bad. In that market an Audi Q2 would be about £420 a month with a £1.5k deposit on a lease. Factor in tax, insurance, servicing, concierge and the ability to swap up to a V60 or V90 for the weekend and it's pretty good. If that kind of model filters down, not a bad thing at all.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Slightly OT but a bold move from Volvo. That's a wodge per month but it's a premium car and probably works out fairly close to a PCP deal.

A bit of competition in this market and some competitive pricing will make it more attractive...... one day.

It's not actually, relatively speaking, all that bad. In that market an Audi Q2 would be about £420 a month with a £1.5k deposit on a lease. Factor in tax, insurance, servicing, concierge and the ability to swap up to a V60 or V90 for the weekend and it's pretty good. If that kind of model filters down, not a bad thing at all.

maybe if you were going to buy a new car anyway but if you were going to buy 2-3 years old with very low mileage then it is an insane way to spend money
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

maybe if you were going to buy a new car anyway but if you were going to buy 2-3 years old with very low mileage then it is an insane way to spend money

Utterly insane.

Get a loan for £15k over 2 years, buy a low mileage nearly new car for £12k and keep back £3k for insurance, tax, servicing, etc.

After 2 years sell the fugger and recoup £6k+/-.
  • It's insane if you rationalise the way you buy a car. It's not insane if that's the way you buy a car. That bubble is, I am afraid to say, likely to cause issues soon.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Dinyull wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Utterly insane.

Get a loan for £15k over 2 years, buy a low mileage nearly new car for £12k and keep back £3k for insurance, tax, servicing, etc.

After 2 years sell the fugger and recoup £6k+/-.

Keep it for ten years in total and you will have £60k in the bank.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    It's insane if you rationalise the way you buy a car. It's not insane if that's the way you buy a car. That bubble is, I am afraid to say, likely to cause issues soon.

^ car/car finance boom likey will pop very soon.

A lot of these deals look ludicdious. I have had no interest in owning a car but have recently been looking.

Can't believe how little colleagues are paying for really quite expensive high end cars.

"Oh it's OK. It's all on finance! The deals are so cheap nowadays! They don't mind because although the cars depreciate the second hand market is so strong!"

Hmmmm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    I have had no interest in owning a car but have recently been looking.
    Surely the Zip car type club deals are perfect for you.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Zip, Co-wheels and the like work if you live in the bigger cities. We live too far out of Oxford to take advantage. We do benefit from having a train station, but a training it in to pick up a car and then reverse that faff doesn't work.

Been rolling this subject around since start of the year when missus gave up the company A5; how to replace and for what purpose and at what cost? As head into winter weather, more likely to need something other than my work truck, our bikes and the train.

Sort of settling on the small cheap runaround for local uses, and hire a bigger vehicle for the Belgian trips. But, how feasible is it to get bike racks onto a random choice supplied hire car for these biking holidays? Oh, I dunno, round we go again...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Buy a decent 2-3 year old car and let some other sucker take the big hit on depreciation. That's what I'll be going when I replace my current cars.

Unless you have to have the car speed 'just so', or plan to keep it for donkeys years, probably the best way to go if you don't want to waste money. And don't use finance unless you have to.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Veronese68 wrote:

Moving outa town.
  • Veronese68 wrote:

Moving outa town.

Putney?
  • Run out models are usually good value.
  • 40000 deaths a year from emissions. Just to save a couple of quid on the commute.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Buy a decent 2-3 year old car and let some other sucker take the big hit on depreciation. That's what I'll be going when I replace my current cars.
    Unless an employer is "giving" you a car and if you need a car, this has been the best solution for many a year.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Unless an employer is "giving" you a car and if you need a car, this has been the best solution for many a year.

Under 500 still gets you a decent car. If anything expensive goes then no great loss.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Under 500 still gets you a decent car. If anything expensive goes then no great loss.
    True. But I do over 20k/year, want something reliable, and my days of stripping engines and pottering are over. Modern tech engines etc doesn't help.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I am sorry but doing 20K a year in a £500 car is generally not feasible, hence you probably see barely anyone else doing it.

Odds are the costs of maintenance/scrapping and inconvenience of numerous breakdowns are a no go. Then if you are customer facing. Rolling up to a potential client in a £500 banger is hardly giving off an impressions for the most part of a decent company to work with.

I bet there are threads on Car forums when people ask about bikes and people say just buy a £200 bike. It is horses for courses. If you can afford the said car and understand it is burning money, then I don't see the issue.

I have had Bangers and a few very expensive cars. I know have middle of the road cars. But last time I checked I earnt my money and therefore am free to spend it how I see fit. Same goes for anyone regardless if it is a bike, car, trip to Disneyland for a family of 4 +.
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:

Moving outa town.

Putney?
    Wow! I was thinking Clapham is the sticks to Rick.
    Where are you going? There is a Zip car just round the corner from us in Kingston so I would have thought there would be even going out to Walton/Epsom type distances.
  • veronese68
    twist83 wrote:
    I am sorry but doing 20K a year in a £500 car is generally not feasible, hence you probably see barely anyone else doing it.
    For that kind of mileage I agree. For occasional use and non-essential mileage it's fine. I used to do 12k a year in old bangers but now I'm used to a bit more comfort. I do think a lot of the electrics that have been added to cars over the last 10-15 years are completely unnecessary and over complicate matters as the cars get older. If someone were to pick up a decent mid-range 10 year old car with low mileage that's been properly serviced there is no reason it can't be reliable for that kind of annual mileage, but that would be rather more than a £500 banger.
  • orraloon wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Zip, Co-wheels and the like work if you live in the bigger cities. We live too far out of Oxford to take advantage. We do benefit from having a train station, but a training it in to pick up a car and then reverse that faff doesn't work.

Been rolling this subject around since start of the year when missus gave up the company A5; how to replace and for what purpose and at what cost? As head into winter weather, more likely to need something other than my work truck, our bikes and the train.

Sort of settling on the small cheap runaround for local uses, and hire a bigger vehicle for the Belgian trips. But, how feasible is it to get bike racks onto a random choice supplied hire car for these biking holidays? Oh, I dunno, round we go again...
    Hire a van. Bikes go in the back and do not attract the attention of thieves if you stop. And you can take full advantage of the space for Belgian beer.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

That always used to be my approach but in the last 15 years or so I've found a fairly cheap car bought at maybe a year old and kept for a decent number of years is just as cheap and you have greater peace of mind that you will get there and back doing European trips etc. Also your kids don't moan quite so much that you are embarassing them though apparently a Fiat Doblo is a bit infra dig for a 15 year old.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Moving outa town.

Putney?
    Where are you going? There is a Zip car just round the corner from us in Kingston so I would have thought there would be even going out to Walton/Epsom type distances.

Oh, out of London entirely.
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Moving outa town.

Putney?

Are you going a long way out for work and home or doing a silly commute? A colleague moved to Ramsgate and has a 5 bed house with sea view. But It's Farage country and he has to get a train into London, then tube across town and a train out to Whitton before riding the last couple of miles on a Brompton. Sod that for a game of soldiers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Make your mind up, in your previous post you were worried about lives lost due to emissions to save a few quid. I doubt the emissions from a £500 banger are better than they are from a modern vehicle.
  • rick_chasey
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Moving outa town.

Putney?

Are you going a long way out for work and home or doing a silly commute? A colleague moved to Ramsgate and has a 5 bed house with sea view. But It's Farage country and he has to get a train into London, then tube across town and a train out to Whitton before riding the last couple of miles on a Brompton. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

Only as long time wise as it'd take me to commute from somewhere I could afford (and want to live in) within London.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Straying from the OP subject but anyway. My JLR source tells me that from 2020 all new models announced will be either hybrid or electric. That's new models not existing ranges. Also that they are Tesla obsessed, lots of cross comparing going on with Model X.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    Straying from the OP subject but anyway. My JLR source tells me that from 2020 all new models announced will be either hybrid or electric. That's new models not existing ranges. Also that they are Tesla obsessed, lots of cross comparing going on with Model X.
    Sod that, I'm going to get myself a big **** off v8 before they ban them :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Hasn't China legislated by 2020 cars sold there would be electric?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I saw an F-type prototype on my way to work this morning (in Coventry near JLR HQ). It had a very shiny exhaust mounted sideways across the back of the rear bumper along with a couple of electronicy boxes. Might have just been a test rig for a new exhaust system, but I did wonder it was some hybrid prototype or something.
  • Stevo_666
    Hasn't China legislated by 2020 cars sold there would be electric?
    No date set. 2020 not feasible as they could never get the infrastructure sorted in time.