Diesel or petrol

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    I was seriously considering a used VW touran as I need a little space for the kiddies. But I'm not sure now :( Is the such a thing as a decent petrol MVP?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    5000 miles pa - with a couple of big trips abroad ... hmm - sounds like the sorts of miles my campervan does. I've got a little peugeot 207 with a 1.9 diesel in it - it doesn't go far often now, but it's absolutely solid on reliability.

fuel cost abroad - when we went in the summer, diesel was cheaper than petrol.

Particle filter - just floor it once in a while and it'll sort itself out - our diesel cars do...

If you're keeping the car 10 years then depreciation isn't going to figure much in your calcs - but purchase price will - I've just done a quick search on Ford Focus - 2015 with 20-25k miles on - petrol and diesel are about the same price (forgetting bells and whilstles) - so tbh, I'd probably go for petrol - purely because diesel is being targeted in the UK.
    If there was a significant difference in price - ie petrol car far more expensive (as diesel used to be) then I'd go for diesel - as the savings you'd make in purchase price would be worth it.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    the difference is hardly worth poisoning people... unless you drive 30K miles per year, then it might make a difference to your wallet.
    So it's only worth it if you're poisoning a lot of people? ;)
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    the difference is hardly worth poisoning people... unless you drive 30K miles per year, then it might make a difference to your wallet.

In 2017 there is no reason in the world to buy a diesel car. Maybe if you carry a heavy trailer you can benefit from the added torque, but that's the only reason I can see

BTW: the particulate filter was an absolute PITA for me
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    seanoconn wrote:
    I was seriously considering a used VW touran as I need a little space for the kiddies. But I'm not sure now :( Is the such a thing as a decent petrol MVP?
    Quite happy with my Smax, it's a big old thing and comfy. Too complicated in my opinion, but most modern cars are. My sister has a petrol Touran with LPG and loves it, but she's in Italy where there is a lot more LPG.
  • graeme_s-2
    Graeme_S wrote:

In 2017 there is no reason in the world to buy a diesel car. Maybe if you carry a heavy trailer you can benefit from the added torque, but that's the only reason I can see

BTW: the particulate filter was an absolute PITA for me
    We bought our last car just as the VAG scandal was breaking. We'd been thinking we might go for a diesel and we were looking at estates. Ended up going for a Toyota Auris estate hybrid. There were loads nearly new that looked to have been ex-company cars that were pretty reasonably priced.

We decided we didn't want the risk of being stuck with a diesel if legislation suddenly changed (thinking we might get hit with sudden, unpredictable depreciation). Fuel economy on the Auris hybrid is good, but not amazing. It gets better mileage than the 1.4 litre petrol VW Polo it replaced under all conditions. There's something very pleasing about the hybrid system on it though, and for our uses I don't think we'd go back to petrol only in future.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Quite happy with my Smax, it's a big old thing and comfy. Too complicated in my opinion, but most modern cars are. My sister has a petrol Touran with LPG and loves it, but she's in Italy where there is a lot more LPG.
    I though about suggesting LPG as I have it on my camper which has taken me and my bikes around Europe for the past five years.

My only concern with the future of LPG is, as I saw in Norway this year, with ambitious national and Eurpoean transportation plans to move towards widespread electric and hybrid uptake LPG could quickly fall victim to the new alternatives to petrol and diesel.

I won't be getting rid of my camper any time soon and I don't expect it's availability to decline immediately, particularly on the continent where it's use is so widespread, but thinking five years ahead I'd be looking at a hybrid camper.
  • I recently bought a hybrid to replace a diesel and a petrol car, lots of short relatively slow driving means pretty decent economy and importantly it's an auto box, whether it will be cost effective over it's lifetime will be interesting to see!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Veronese68 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Seano,

Veronese speaks the truth. The closest you will get to a MPV that drives more like a car than a van is the S Max. Get the old 2.5 turbo 5 pot if you can, nice and torquey although it is quite thirsty. Fits seemingly infinite amounts of kids and luggage into it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Seano,

Veronese speaks the truth. The closest you will get to a MPV that drives more like a car than a van is the S Max. Get the old 2.5 turbo 5 pot if you can, nice and torquey although it is quite thirsty. Fits seemingly infinite amounts of kids and luggage into it.
    That's for the advice. I was hoping for frugal sips but that's probably not going to happen with petrol.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Are there no 1.4T MPV's about?

We changed car last year from a 1.2 Pug 208 to 1.4T Astra. Was expecting it to be a bit thirsty as it's a hoot to drive - not the fastest thing in the world but will shift if you put your foot down - but in the 18 months we've had it it doesn't cost any more than the 1.2.

The new small turbo charged petrol's are really good!
  • veronese68
    seanoconn wrote:
    That's for the advice. I was hoping for frugal sips but that's probably not going to happen with petrol.
    You can clamber around ours and see what you think some time if you fancy.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688
    Dinyull wrote:
    Are there no 1.4T MPV's about?

We changed car last year from a 1.2 Pug 208 to 1.4T Astra. Was expecting it to be a bit thirsty as it's a hoot to drive - not the fastest thing in the world but will shift if you put your foot down - but in the 18 months we've had it it doesn't cost any more than the 1.2.

I think the Vauxhall Zafira Tourer comes in a 1.4T if that counts.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Dinyull wrote:
    True, but the large turbocharged petrols are better :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Bit of a tangent but how will hybrid/electric cars work for people that don't have their own off street parking ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Bit of a tangent but how will hybrid/electric cars work for people that don't have their own off street parking ?
    Hybrid is no problem.
    There are a multitude of infrastructure issues if everyone went 100% electric.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Bit of a tangent but how will hybrid/electric cars work for people that don't have their own off street parking ?

They'll take themselves off to their parking garage, then come back to pick you up in the morning.
  • Stevo_666
    Bit of a tangent but how will hybrid/electric cars work for people that don't have their own off street parking ?
    Time to invest in companies that supply long extension leads?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692

They'll take themselves off to their parking garage, then come back to pick you up in the morning.
    Take them themselves off to their Uber (or whatever the autonomous equivalent is by then, Total Recall stylee) duties, then come back.... If cars become autonomous then why would we need to buy / own one?
  • https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/buying/ ... e-by-volvo

Slightly OT but a bold move from Volvo. That's a wodge per month but it's a premium car and probably works out fairly close to a PCP deal.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • seanoconn
    https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/buying/what-is-care-by-volvo

Slightly OT but a bold move from Volvo. That's a wodge per month but it's a premium car and probably works out fairly close to a PCP deal.
    Mobile phone type contracts for cars is the future.
  • seanoconn
    Veronese68 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    You can clamber around ours and see what you think some time if you fancy.
    Cheers for the offer V. I'm a bit rusty at present, 10 years or so with no driving (I wasn't banned) so currently having a bit of practise in a mates car before I'm unleashed on the roads again.
  • seanoconn wrote:

at £629 a month, it isn't for me!
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    TLW1 wrote:
    Hybrid makes sense for company car drivers because of the tax

Buying privately and doing low miles - go big petrol engine and enjoy yourself

Amen to this!! All this talk of Hybrid, MPG, Diesel, People carriers. It makes me die a little inside on this sunny friday morning :lol: But then I don't have children.

The recent changes in BIK tax punish pretty much anything bar a hybrid. I get an allowance. Which I am now going to take and take the tax hit on. As the BIK per month on most cars is nearly triple in some instances what it was a few years back.

Looking at my work portal. It is the same outright cost per month for a BMW 330i Hybrid that it is for a A1 TDI SE :roll:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn wrote:

A bit of competition in this market and some competitive pricing will make it more attractive...... one day.
  • twist83 wrote:
    Amen to this!! All this talk of Hybrid, MPG, Diesel, People carriers. It makes me die a little inside on this sunny friday morning :lol: But then I don't have children.

Oops, sorry about that. But then I'm not really that interested in cars. I'd rather spend my money on bikes!
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    You should be sorry ;) Thank you for the apology.

I spend on bikes as well. But again that goes back to zero kids.

Enjoying cars is an expensive hobby and one at times I wish I didn't have.
  • graeme_s-2
    We only own 1 car, and I've just hit a new record since I passed my test a few years ago. Haven't driven the car at all in a year :D
  • veronese68
    seanoconn wrote:

:shock: I've bought cars outright for less than that.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

:shock: I've bought cars outright for less than that.
    :lol: My last car cost me £500. That was about 3 years ago, and it still works fine. Last MOT it needed a headlamp adjusting.
    Ecrasez l’infame