Vuelta 2017:Stage 20: Corvera de Asturias - Alto de l'Angliru 117.5KM *Spoilers*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Tomorrow Mikel Nieve will finish his 14th GT in 16th place. He has finished all 14 and his worst GC position is 25th. Has anyone with 10+ GTs had a better worst result.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Not a fan of either Contador or Froome but I was really happy for both today. Just a pity the weather was so bad in wonderful Asturias.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    How to calm down...........
    Mmmm, I know, I'll watch some Tour of Britain.

Post of the Vuelta right there!
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Tomorrow Mikel Nieve will finish his 14th GT in 16th place. He has finished all 14 and his worst GC position is 25th. Has anyone with 10+ GTs had a better worst result.

Hinault?

ETA>Nope - 1 DNF
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    Seems like a young woman was killed today, descending over la Cueña les Cabres.

dear oh dear.. thats terrible...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    mfin wrote:
    Carlton K is an absolute f-ing idiot.

Hopefully that's the end of Contador as promised.

Froome's getting older and was looking a bit more beatable this year, certainly this win wouldn't have been anywhere near guaranteed without him having the strongest team.

It's such a cold win though, as good as he is on the bike he's lacks any charm and warmth off it, this and being the face of a soulless corporate winning machine only loved by people equally void of personality doesn't help.

The achievement feels like nothing more than a passing statistic as far as emotional engagement goes.

Glad he did it though, and such a cool thing that Contador will be off the screens at least here in the UK. Cheat.
    I take it you had a bad day yesterday?

I'd say all your comments are way off, but just to waste time on just one, Froome looking weaker when he planned his season to span to GT's and win them both? When exactly was he looking weaker considering a combined 6 weeks of GT contender and leader pressure being attacked every day...? Would Aru, LRP or Uran Uran last a moment under that pressure?
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    For what it's worth I've supported SKY from the start and I like Froome. Mind you. Apparently I'm devoid of personality.
    Great double by Froome. I think it took a lot more strength, mental a well as physical, than some give him credit for.
    I've finally grown to love Contador too! Bit late.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Froome's getting older and was looking a bit more beatable this year, certainly this win wouldn't have been anywhere near guaranteed without him having the strongest team.

It's such a cold win though, as good as he is on the bike he's lacks any charm and warmth off it, this and being the face of a soulless corporate winning machine only loved by people equally void of personality doesn't help.

The achievement feels like nothing more than a passing statistic as far as emotional engagement goes.

Glad he did it though, and such a cool thing that Contador will be off the screens at least here in the UK. Cheat.

Nice to see someone enjoy their sport so much :lol:

That's exactly what I was thinking haha. Ok so Froome is a bit bland in front of the camera, but he's polite, gracious in defeat and doesn't crave the limelight. I like that about him.
  • Bo Duke wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I'd say all your comments are way off, but just to waste time on just one, Froome looking weaker when he planned his season to span to GT's and win them both? When exactly was he looking weaker considering a combined 6 weeks of GT contender and leader pressure being attacked every day...? Would Aru, LRP or Uran Uran last a moment under that pressure?

Well put, to win the tour and then maintain the mental and physical focus to win a rac elite this Vuelta is serially impressive.
  • Nibs is fine..
    "Hi everyone,” he wrote. “Wanted to let you know about my condition after the crash. I've got some cuts and bruises and a rib hurts! But i'm going to dig in, suffer tomorrow (to make it to the finish in Madrid)."
  • mfin wrote:

Presumably you like the cheating turd millar better? In fact why even watch a sport where there are cheats?

What does him taking EPO have to do with the quality of his commentary and punditry? Seriously.

Nothing.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Bo Duke wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Spot-on Bo.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    mfin wrote:

So the fact he was pretty much in tears at the end of the stage yesterday says you're completely wrong there.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    mfin wrote:

Presumably you like the cheating turd millar better? In fact why even watch a sport where there are cheats?

What does him taking EPO have to do with the quality of his commentary and punditry? Seriously.

Nothing.

Not sure what's being picked up on here. Contador is cycling and a cheat. Millar is not. I have no problem with Millar commentating. (On a side point, he's also open at least to the fact he's cheated, Contador isn't).

On to some other points to respond to...

I've really enjoyed watching the Vuelta, weird that someone else has assumed I haven't. Dull personalities like Froome can be appreciated on the bike at the same time as not being appreciated off it.

Sky have delivered for him too, does anyone think he could have achieved this double with any other team. I'm not anti-Sky, they just come across like a machine, and it's difficult to connect with that emotionally, especially with a dull figurehead like Froome.
  • mfin
    iainf72 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

So the fact he was pretty much in tears at the end of the stage yesterday says you're completely wrong there.

But he doesn't even do emotions like that like a normal person, did you not think it looks a bit odd, when he talks and says "its an amazing feeling" for example... if you heard it without seeing his face you'd struggle to think he wasn't half asleep talking at a business conference.
  • Bo Duke wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Well put, to win the tour and then maintain the mental and physical focus to win a rac elite this Vuelta is serially impressive.

This house believes that to win a double, you need to be far enough ahead of the opposition to win each at significantly less than your best form.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72
    mfin wrote:

But he doesn't even do emotions like that like a normal person, did you not think it looks a bit odd, when he talks and says "its an amazing feeling" for example... if you heard it without seeing his face you'd struggle to think he wasn't half asleep talking at a business conference.

No, I just think he's a bit shy. Having a camera shoved in your face and having to say something is an odd situation at the best of times.
  • iainf72
    On the topic of the double - What's impressive is that the first one of the 2 was probably the hardest race of the season. All previous doubles have had the easier race first.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    On the topic of the double - What's impressive is that the first one of the 2 was probably the hardest race of the season. All previous doubles have had the easier race first.

Contador 2008?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mfin
    iainf72 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

No, I just think he's a bit shy. Having a camera shoved in your face and having to say something is an odd situation at the best of times.

I think you could be right, maybe he is simply fear struck. But if he is then he is like that all the time really. Either way it doesn't leave you anything to connect with which is a shame as his riding on occasion is very dynamic, sort of the opposite.

To dull drab people maybe it doesn't matter, a saving grace if you like because Sky fans are generally like that.
  • iainf72 wrote:

Not sure that's right. Yes, it's the Tour, so it's always going to be competitive, but the parcours made it very safe. Hardly any MTFs, a decent sized 3rd week TT, there were few places where much damage could be done. Even the places where a few seconds could be won played to Froome's strengths - a team as disciplined and strong as Sky will always be favourites there and Froome has previous for picking up a handful here and there. Sky will have looked at the route and realised Froome could coast it just by being alert, with few big efforts, and without burning out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    edited September 2017
    Not worth it.
  • I find it amusing that mfin dislikes Cav so intensely yet berates Froome for being unemotional. Froome is the product of corporate-sports interview technique; never say anything controversial, always speak with good grace even if you aren't feeling it, never say anything interesting. You see it all over sports nowadays.

Cav is pretty much the diametrical opposite.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72
    mfin wrote:

I think you could be right, maybe he is simply fear struck. But if he is then he is like that all the time really. Either way it doesn't leave you anything to connect with which is a shame as his riding on occasion is very dynamic, sort of the opposite.

To dull drab people maybe it doesn't matter, a saving grace if you like because Sky fans are generally like that.

I think it was Ned Boulting who said when you know him, off the bike, he's charming and engaging and tries to be funny. Also, think he tries very hard to be well mannered due to his upbringing.

But yes, there is a difference between on the bike version and off the bike. But I'd rather have an interesting on the bike guy TBH.

Contador and Nibali aren't that interesting off the bike either to be fair. But as most of the time you're hearing them via a bad translation it's not so obvious.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Contador 2008?

Yes, possible. But different as months between them rather than 4 weeks. I think that's what makes it remarkable.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I get the feeling if people dont appreciate or understand Froome by now, they probably never will. I dont think its shyness, I think he shows classic signs of having an introverted personality, whilst it seems most fans of cycling prefer their riding heroes to be extroverts
  • I don't really care what he's like off the bike. On it he's one of the best riders of all time. That'll do for me.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    mfin wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Reading through your recent posts on this thread I get the distinct impression that you are just a weirdo. It's strange how people come across isn't it?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    To me, Froome just comes across as a normal, decent bloke, probably a really nice guy. Maybe not totally comfortable having a microphone thrust in his face after he's turned himself inside out on the bike for 6 hours, but how many of us would be.
  • mfin
    iainf72 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I think it was Ned Boulting who said when you know him, off the bike, he's charming and engaging and tries to be funny. Also, think he tries very hard to be well mannered due to his upbringing.

But yes, there is a difference between on the bike version and off the bike. But I'd rather have an interesting on the bike guy TBH.

Contador and Nibali aren't that interesting off the bike either to be fair. But as most of the time you're hearing them via a bad translation it's not so obvious.

Oh I would too. No doubt about that, I respect him as a rider a lot.