2017 worlds

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    My prediction - Bond will not trouble the top 10 and rower63 has just saved some money.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Probably correct.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    What is this bike change station nonsense? I thought the whole point was another bike needed to come from the rider's support car which needed to be behind the rider, hence it took a while to change bikes.

I'm not impressed.

It is boIIocks. Even red-carpeted. 4FS

It looks like a triathlon.

We are unanimous in this
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited September 2017
    Pross wrote:
    My prediction - Bond will not trouble the top 10 and rower63 has just saved some money.
    If he makes the top 20 it will be a great result for him. I predict somewhere nearer 30th.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • the fans are going to go beresk when Biggles goes by
  • Wow, Lampaert lost the best part of 1min up that evil climb, he was provisional leader by ~15secs at the base at the time IIRC.

But he looked a significantly larger rider than someone like Froome, it wouldn't surprise me if Lampaert was 15-20Kg heavier.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • okgo
    Wow, Lampaert lost the best part of 1min up that evil climb, he was provisional leader by ~15secs at the base at the time IIRC.

But he looked a significantly larger rider than someone like Froome, it wouldn't surprise me if Lampaert was 15-20Kg heavier.

Specsavers for you I think.

There is not a single rider in the pro peloton 20kg more than CF.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    okgo wrote:
    rower63 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    ...I actually raced against one of today's competitors - Hamish Bond of NZ - in a hilly TT in June. He only beat me by 16 minutes over a 20 mile course! In fairness he beat 2nd place by 5 minutes. https://www.strava.com/segments/12461960
    ... arguably the best rower ever, quicker in a single scull than than the reigning single scull Olympic Champion (Mahe Drysdale) and not a heavy guy. He's won the last 2-3 Olympics in coxless pair, easily, and all the world championships in between. Unbeaten in that boat since he and Eric Murray got together. Huge amount of power. It'll be VERY interesting to see what he does today. I tried to put money on him when I saw him on the start list but the first starters had already started.

He is about to find out just how good someone like Chris Froome is I think. Hamish is quick (about 25 odd seconds per 10 miles faster than me if our rides on a certain TT course are comparable), but those guys are in another level. Froome has the same power but weighs over 10kg less... That all said, I think he will certainly not embarrass himself and I hope he gets up in the top 20 or better.
    Seems like he's loosing time after a good first split. Just about hanging on to a top 20 place. That's going to change.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Kirby still going on about Surströmming :D
  • okgo
    inseine wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    rower63 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    ...I actually raced against one of today's competitors - Hamish Bond of NZ - in a hilly TT in June. He only beat me by 16 minutes over a 20 mile course! In fairness he beat 2nd place by 5 minutes. https://www.strava.com/segments/12461960
    ... arguably the best rower ever, quicker in a single scull than than the reigning single scull Olympic Champion (Mahe Drysdale) and not a heavy guy. He's won the last 2-3 Olympics in coxless pair, easily, and all the world championships in between. Unbeaten in that boat since he and Eric Murray got together. Huge amount of power. It'll be VERY interesting to see what he does today. I tried to put money on him when I saw him on the start list but the first starters had already started.

He is about to find out just how good someone like Chris Froome is I think. Hamish is quick (about 25 odd seconds per 10 miles faster than me if our rides on a certain TT course are comparable), but those guys are in another level. Froome has the same power but weighs over 10kg less... That all said, I think he will certainly not embarrass himself and I hope he gets up in the top 20 or better.
    Seems like he's loosing time after a good first split. Just about hanging on to a top 20 place. That's going to change.

Yeh, not sure the hill will do him many favours, sadly.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Kelderman could set a good time here. Pantano leaving himself with too much to do on the climb.
  • okgo wrote:
    Wow, Lampaert lost the best part of 1min up that evil climb, he was provisional leader by ~15secs at the base at the time IIRC.

Specsavers for you I think.

There is not a single rider in the pro peloton 20kg more than CF.

Since posting that estimated weight difference, I've seen wiki claims Lampaert is just 75Kg... His legs looked like tree trunks, fairly well built torso too!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • inseine
    I often wonder when watching the worlds TT if I, as a very average club rider, could manage not to be last? The guy propping up the leader board at the moment averaged 32KPH. Mind you Tratnik only averaged 40
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Is Froome going to switch bikes?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    FocusZing wrote:
    Is Froome going to switch bikes?
    Unknown. But I think he's the least likely of the favourites to do so.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZing
    Cheers Rich. I like this ITT lots going on, climbs, fans, scenery, bike changes good stuff.
  • okgo
    inseine wrote:
    I often wonder when watching the worlds TT if I, as a very average club rider, could manage not to be last? The guy propping up the leader board at the moment averaged 32KPH. Mind you Tratnik only averaged 40

Some of the entries are really quite under equipped so it is possible without doubt.
  • FocusZing
    Tunnel!
  • “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jaysus, Kirby has a Moscon crush innit
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    jaysus, Kirby has a Moscon crush innit

Why listen to Kirby when you could listen to Brotherton/Boardman/Gilmore?
  • inseine
    Faster guys coming now, though currently the leaders had slow first splits;
  • Kirby has clearly forgotten that Kiry has won on Peña Cabarga

Idiot
  • Sky showing how royally they fucked up the TTT.
  • r0bh wrote:
    jaysus, Kirby has a Moscon crush innit

Why listen to Kirby when you could listen to Brotherton/Boardman/Gilmore?

A-ha!
  • r0bh
    A-ha!

No, Alan Partridge isn't on comms today sadly
  • This is a fun TT.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • r0bh
    Textbook bike change for Jan Barta
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    What is this bike change station nonsense? I thought the whole point was another bike needed to come from the rider's support car which needed to be behind the rider, hence it took a while to change bikes.

I'm not impressed.

It is boIIocks. Even red-carpeted. 4FS

Like it.

I think the rider can be pushed on the red carpet area.
    I may be making that up
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No love lost in throwing that Bianchi to the ground at the bike swap! :lol:

And Olivera has probably lost any gains from the swap with that mess.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo