Comments

• Interesting quote from the non profit US cycling organization:

"Club Jerseys. In competition, no rider shall wear the
    emblem, inscription, or uniform of any club or team which
    the rider is not eligible to represent, nor may a club/team
    create a jersey, design or emblems that might be confused
    with the US National Team or National Champion jersey."

Guess that means no pro kits in amateur races. :mrgreen:

I get that, in a competition no FPKW allowed. However, would they still allow a wobbly Sportive type rider to struggle over a speed bump, wearing a Polka Dot jersey? That's just comedy entertainment, and should be encouraged.

I'd be horrified to ever try to wear a sprinter's green or climber's polka dot just to have pretty much any real racer see me out riding and decide to vaporize me on the spot.

In the US though, the Maglia Rosa could be forgiven. There are several cancer charities that use pink as their colors, and any run race or bike ride in support.......every bit of run or ride kit imaginable is in pink.
  • Brakeless wrote:

Talking of FPKW.
    36874879552_7ebf31f752_b.jpgmilemuncher by Bobin Noggs, on Flickr

Disappoint not to see house number hand painted on wheelie bin
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Faint resemblance to.........Freddie Couples???? Something about the face/smile that made me think that.

enhanced-buzz-31678-1365810161-26.jpg
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As a yoof I cycled thousands of miles in everyday clothes and school shoes, jeans tucked into socks to stop the cotter pins shredding them.
    When I took up cycling again in middle age I ventured out in trainers, tracksuit bottoms and an Aston Villa away kit goalkeepers jersey from the Mark Bosnich era. I don't support Aston Villa, I just liked the colour (and I did play 5-a-side in goal) Would that kind of replica kit be allowed by the cycling fashion police?
    Anyhoo, as I got fitter and faster, and graduated to proper road bikes, I started to buy cycling specific kit and ever tighter fitting lycra because it was simply more comfortable and practical to ride in. I never really worried what I looked like, and I clearly amused the rest of the family, but it was a photo of me in lycra that made me realise I needed to lose weight. Not nearly as rotund as the chap in sandals, but I was still shocked.

Spurred into action I shifted 18 pounds, mainly from round my middle, and I've never felt fitter. Although I say so myself, I do actually look good in lycra.

So I think anyone who wants to should wear lycra; it can have unintended benefits for the well upholstered.

Team kit I occasionally buy if it's going cheap, but to be honest, most of it I find pretty hideous. It's interesting to see most of the roadies I've seen in France and Italy are wearing either full club kit or replica team gear. The only thing I think should be banned is white shorts or any that are so worn that you're treated to an uninterrupted view of the rider's @rse-crack.
  • Brakeless wrote:

Talking of FPKW.

It's Pearl Izumi Kit ( some of the nicest kit, fit and function wise I've ever bought) and it was dirt cheap from their outlet store in Gunwharf Quays, near Pompey, so I really don't care about the BMC team branding.
  • Faint resemblance to.........Freddie Couples???? Something about the face/smile that made me think that.

enhanced-buzz-31678-1365810161-26.jpg

Oddly, you're not the first person to say that. Although I had to google the name, the first time I heard it, I'm not a golf-ist, so I'm not familiar with him.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

It's Pearl Izumi Kit ( some of the nicest kit, fit and function wise I've ever bought) and it was dirt cheap from their outlet store in Gunwharf Quays, near Pompey, so I really don't care about the BMC team branding.

Still a FPKW though, by your own definition sadly. "Hoisted by your own petard" an' all that....
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Team kit should be used on a turbo only.

FTKW's need to be pro's, then they're just FTKP's.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Ryan_W wrote:
    Team kit should be used on a turbo only.

FTKW's need to be pro's, then they're just FTKP's.

Turbo :shock:
  • I've loads of team kit but very really wear it.
    Ryan - how about guys who are sponsored by a manufacturer so get free pro team kit. Are they FTKAW?

If you were given free kit from a sponsor (who help you out considerably) - would you wear their team kit? For example, if you had a sponsorship deal with Canyon and they gave bikes at a silly price plus free Katusha Aplecin team kit?

I'm sure there are a lot of sponsored riders on here who are given kit and wouldn't consider themselves FPKW.

Most of the guys I ride with only ride in full team kit. They are sponsored after all and its the sponsorship which helps the team. I do agree that most of the kits are hideous, but we do need the sponsorship.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    If you're sponsored, wear what you want, you're good enough to do so.

Just don't be some middle aged portly man wearing full Team Sky stash....
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    w00dster wrote:
    For example, if you had a sponsorship deal with Canyon and they gave bikes at a silly price plus free Katusha Aplecin team kit?

Why would they do that? I would imagine they would give the guy Canyon kit, not pro tour trade team kit with some Canyon logos on it.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Ryan_W wrote:
    If you're sponsored, wear what you want, you're good enough to do so.

Just don't be some middle aged portly man wearing full Team Sky stash....

Why would you even care what someone else wears?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,909
    Brakeless wrote:

Talking of FPKW.

More to the point.
    I hope that house is at the top of a very steep hill necessitating that gearing. :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

Talking of FPKW.

More to the point.
    I hope that house is at the top of a very steep hill necessitating that gearing. :shock:

It is, I live at the top of an inconvenient hill. That bike has a 50-34 chainset, and an 11-28 cassette, so no dinner plates on either end, and it's the one I use for 'road Social' rides.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,909
    It is, I live at the top of an inconvenient hill. That bike has a 50-34 chainset, and an 11-28 cassette, so no dinner plates on either end, and it's the one I use for 'road Social' rides.
    I would say a 28 cassette is a dinner plate when used with a compact crankset. 34x28 gearing should only be required on climbs of more than 10%. More so at 40 rpm. I don't think I ever got that low throughout the Pyrenees! Works out at 3.8mph.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    Brakeless wrote:

Talking of FPKW.

Hmmm he looks the part, good build for a cyclist. Respect for riding that B-Twin too.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    I would say a 28 cassette is a dinner plate when used with a compact crankset. 34x28 gearing should only be required on climbs of more than 10%. More so at 40 rpm. I don't think I ever got that low throughout the Pyrenees! Works out at 3.8mph.

I've never had to drop to 34-28 on it. It has got a habit of spitting the chain onto the 34 chain ring, for no good reason. The dog fang it came with has proved to be very useful.
  • davidof wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

Talking of FPKW.

Hmmm he looks the part, good build for a cyclist. Respect for riding that B-Twin too.

That bike is pretty good. It's got one or two ( easily upgradeable ) cheap components on it ( the head set bearings for example) but once those are taken care of, the rest of it is brilliant. I swapped the Fizik Arione saddle it came with, to another of my Btwin bikes ( the Triban 560 ) which is another superb VFM effort.
  • Reckon you'd look better on that nice BTwin if you ditched the logos. :D

yLPwtoe.jpg
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Talking of FPKW.
    36874879552_7ebf31f752_b.jpgmilemuncher by Bobin Noggs, on Flickr[/quote]

Why does the green bin have a brown lid?
  • And the bin is facing the wrong way too. OCD trigger... :mrgreen:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    rumbataz wrote:
    And the bin is facing the wrong way too. OCD trigger... :mrgreen:

Christ! Red kit, blue bike and fluorescent yellow footwear, and you lot are worried about the wheelie bin??
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    keef66 wrote:
    rumbataz wrote:

Christ! Red kit, blue bike and fluorescent yellow footwear, and you lot are worried about the wheelie bin??

Not to mention the pink bottle :shock: Frame bag :shock: massive frame pump :shock: and pink handlebar tape :shock:

How can I get rid of it - it's burning my eyes :lol:
  • cld531c
    Gimpl wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    rumbataz wrote:

Not to mention the pink bottle :shock: Frame bag :shock: massive frame pump :shock: and pink handlebar tape :shock:

How can I get rid of it - it's burning my eyes :lol:

But I can only see two cycle computers...are the rest in the frame bag?
  • Wot? No saddle bag???
  • cld531c wrote:
    Talking of FPKW.

Why does the green bin have a brown lid?

That's the recyclable garden waste bin ( bits of trees and grass clippings) the standard green bin has a green lid.
  • cld531c
    Complain to the council. Tell them you want an all brown bin.
    I couldnt' look at it
  • Are we not allowed 34/32 gearing now as well? Blimey, I must have missed the memo.

As for team kit, I'm firmly in the "wear what you like" camp. Nowt wrong with either supporting your favourite team (I quite fancy getting a Wanty jersey) or just grabbing a bargain.

I'd personally draw the line at yellow/polka/national/world jerseys as for me they are the "earnt" ones, but if others feel differently who am I to stop them?
  • rumbataz wrote:

It was collection day. The handles were out so I could get the bin up the driveway.