Men over 8-stone shouldn't wear Lycra

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Daniel B wrote:
    I have bought some team kit, but have yet to wear it actually - why?
    Because I don't feel I am fast enough to justify it, but that's my personal take on it, and not one I would look to push onto anyone else.
    I get that and would feel the same way myself, but that's fine as you're not forcing your opinion on others.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    13.8 stone (down from 16.8 ) and still rocking the lycra.

Marginal gainz innit.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Damn, I'm over a stone above the 8 stone max for lycra!

Do people often turn up to rugby training and play in All Blacks kit though? I assumed it was a bit presumptuous to do sport in other team's kit. Sitting about in a Team Sky T-shirt whilst watching the tour is a bit different to paying lots for a replica kit to actually ride in. That said, if it's decent kit then go for it, you can also often get some good bargains about and bargains are never to be missed. I'm the last person to comment on looking good in any form...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,570
    HaydenM wrote:
    Damn, I'm over a stone above the 8 stone max for lycra!

Do people often turn up to rugby training and play in All Blacks kit though? I assumed it was a bit presumptuous to do sport in other team's kit. Sitting about in a Team Sky T-shirt whilst watching the tour is a bit different to paying lots for a replica kit to actually ride in. That said, if it's decent kit then go for it, you can also often get some good bargains about and bargains are never to be missed. I'm the last person to comment on looking good in any form...

Given all the chat about size and weights on here, I don't think many people will be confused with being a pro on the bike, replica kit or not.
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    There is no way in the world that I could be mistaken for a pro wearing my Specialized kit on my Specialized Roubaix. No way whatsoever. I'm just surprised the zip on the jacket has held up. It does take a long time to do up, trying to bring the two ends together. :mrgreen:
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I could be mistaken as a professional food critique / sh!t track sprinter.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    its not worth worrying about is it. I'm fat, can ride a bike fine and just get on with it.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Chris Hoy knows well that in these times of society being less and less physically active, everyone out there pedalling away should be celebrated and not berated ( bad roadcraft is another matter ). As for the 'newspaper', some 'layers of society' will approve of the article, others won't; fruitless, heated discussion is likely, unique clicks generated. A good day.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Orkneylad wrote:
    I'd be ashamed to don team strip or race jerseys, that gear needs to be earned.

There are thousands of blokes up and down the country plaing 5 a side a side footy (for example) in United, City,
    Liverpool and Chelsea football shirts. I don't think they give a t.ss if people think they have to earn it to wear it.
    Is cycling supposed to be different?
  • Orkneylad
    Orkneylad Posts: 104
    De Sisti wrote:
    Orkneylad wrote:

There are thousands of blokes up and down the country plaing 5 a side a side footy (for example) in United, City,
    Liverpool and Chelsea football shirts. I don't think they give a t.ss if people think they have to earn it to wear it.

Yes, basically.

It's a different culture, perhaps it's a generational thing......unwritten rules that we just accepted and absorbed. So the culture is changing, that's fine. I personally don't think it's good form, but that's just me.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Oh well, as thread descends into another kit war between cyclists...
    Does Sir Chris have a point?
    Probably.
    The older I get the more I want to submerge myself into the time warp that is Eroica .... bit like the 'Good 'ol days' on wheels... younger readers should just Google, Leonard Sachs.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Slowbike wrote:
    I just find it amusing - fine, if you want to ride full Team kit on a Team bike - in a visual support of said team - it's just you expect team kit to be worn by football supporters - so full team kit on a cyclist just looks out of place.
    As for the bike - then again - up to you if you want to ride a 10k bike - it is (or was) your money - just looks a bit out of place when you're puffing and panting on that "hill" that goes over the railway line ...
    it's a bit biking snobbery I guess - the only way to show off on bikes is by being faster than the next guy - or if you're not faster then it's because you've just ridden around the globe 3 times and it's a rest day.... ;)
    #reversesnobbery.
    Keeps the thread going though...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    As usual this was probably a throwaway, semi-humorous comment that has been manipulated by the media to try and make it controversial. Sir Chris Hoy is a superb ambassador, not just for cycling but for British sport in general (in my opinion) - if he has an opinion on cycling then the chances are he is right. Taking offence seems to be a national pastime these days.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Crescent wrote:
    As usual this was probably a throwaway, semi-humorous comment that has been manipulated by the media

At a PR interview to promote his own brand?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    Nope, don't have any problem looking good in team stuff, or riding fast, I wear it because I like the choices, it's nice kit and it makes me feel good when I'm riding. Everyone to their own though if you want to wear stuff from Aldi that's fine as well
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Crescent wrote:
    As usual this was probably a throwaway, semi-humorous comment that has been manipulated by the media

At a PR interview to promote his own brand?

Worryingly he is now GQ's regular cycling columnist - so more badly written articles (and more threads like this) to look forward to.

As for his brand, I think his vulpine deal ended earlier this year. I'm not aware of any further clothing deal.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    diamonddog wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:
    8 stone 2lb (wet through), same weight now as in my youth.

How tall are you? Sounds dangerously underweight to me.
    1.65mt tall very, light build and bmi is at the low end of normal at 19.1.

Gotta hand it to ya for maintaining such a weight. I'm roughly the same height and when I got all the way down to 11st8 people were telling me I looked ill (funny how the same people had **** all to say when I was closer to 17st) and I struggled to maintain it. I raised it a little so I could feel more comfortable and manage it a little better.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,673
    Nowt wrong wi' lycra, nor team colours.

34gx1dw.jpg

Not sure about the sandals though.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Vulpine are selling Hoy kit cheap today. No idea if this is linked to the quotes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,570
    Mouth wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:
    8 stone 2lb (wet through), same weight now as in my youth.

How tall are you? Sounds dangerously underweight to me.
    1.65mt tall very, light build and bmi is at the low end of normal at 19.1.

Gotta hand it to ya for maintaining such a weight. I'm roughly the same height and when I got all the way down to 11st8 people were telling me I looked ill (funny how the same people had **** all to say when I was closer to 17st) and I struggled to maintain it. I raised it a little so I could feel more comfortable and manage it a little better.

People usually only comment on people's weight unsolicited because of their own anxieties.
  • reacher
    mfin wrote:
    reacher wrote:
    What's wrong with wearing team kit ? If you follow riders or teams stands to reason your going to feel like you would want to buy that to train in rather than some off the shelf tesco shite non descript crap, that's like saying you can't ride the same bikes either

You're obviously under 16, and it's fine for kids to wear the kit of their heroes, it's positive. Adults don't tend to do it though, and the only ones that do are those that don't realise they look stupid.

You obviously tried the kit realised you look like a dick wad and totally stupid and now want everyone to feel the same as you did and bin their spanking kit, the problem with that is really good fit amateur cyclists at the correct weight look the mutts nuts in this stuff regardless of how old they are sunshine,
    envy is a bad trait it leads to all sorts of low self esteem problems
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Team kit is not 'earned' by professional riders. Their place on the team is earned sure, but they wear the kit a) to identify the other riders in their team easily and b) to provide advertising for the team sponsors. Every other sport has fans wearing the kit to SUPPORT the teams and the members of that team. And this is important to the sponsors - their advertising is much more widely seen beyond the coverage of the actual sporting events. In Europe, particularly Italy, there is no problem wearing team cycling kit - they do it to support the riders and teams and show their affection for them. Its only in the UK that we seem to have some weird attitude to cycling only.

World Champs jerseys, yellow jerseys etc - I can see why people would object to those being worn by people who havent earned them because the jersey itself is like a trophy, rather than just a team strip. But team kit is just not the same, it really isnt.

Having said that, the only team kit I have is a Qhubeka jersey and gilet that I got cheap second hand and I dont wear it often, mainly because its dark and I tend to wear brighter colours. I would have a bunch of the blue Castelli Garmin kit that was being sold off a couple of years ago - except that my son liked it and we bought a bunch of it for him, so I couldnt really wear the same. He wears it because it looks good, performs well and is supremely comfortable though - not anything to do with the team or thinking he is a professional rider etc.
  • jessand
    jessand Posts: 45
    What does a successful sportsman do when time calls a halt? The problem is that when you try your hand at a new career you are no longer the seasoned professional and are likely to make the same mistakes as any new starter. He'll learn - hopefully!
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    I have some Super-U kit from the 80s... but as I worked for the company I feel I have the right to wear it.

A couple of years back I saw a bloke moving quite fast but obviously not trying too hard (in the Alps) in full Sky kit and on a Dogma. I managed to catch up with him when he slowed down in a town and said "bit of a Sky fan then?"

You could say that, came the reply

Then I noticed "Stannard" on the frame.

Hmmmm.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rumbataz
    If you buy any item of cycling clothing then you can wear it as you see fit.
  • rumbataz
    orraloon wrote:

34gx1dw.jpg

That's rather fetching! I like people who don't give a toss what anyone else thinks.
  • davidof
    orraloon wrote:

34gx1dw.jpg

is that David Hoy?
    Instagramme
  • reacher
    For a bloke who weighed over 200 pounds and rode around in circles, spent most of his spare time doing squats and looked like king kong to be telling road cyclists what to wear i find a bit rich
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Orkneylad wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:
    Orkneylad wrote:

Yes, basically.

It's a different culture, perhaps it's a generational thing......unwritten rules that we just accepted and absorbed. So the culture is changing, that's fine. I personally don't think it's good form, but that's just me.

but on the generational thing I mean surely on that point team kits just werent readily available for mere mortals to buy till quite recently, so of course no-one on the whole went around wearing it, because they couldnt easily get hold of it. Im not convinced that its just that people didnt identify with it.

nowadays most of it, though still not all, is two clicks and credit card away, so its alot easier, teams have worked out, or their kit manufacturers have, they can make money from it.
  • davidof
    awavey wrote:

but on the generational thing I mean surely on that point team kits just werent readily available for mere mortals to buy till quite recently

Define recently for us.

The only bits of team kit I own date from the very early 80s.
    Instagramme