Spanish Circle... aka La Vuelta + plus off topic bollox

pinno
pinno Posts: 52,084
edited September 2017 in The bottom bracket
1st proper stage and the sprinters blew it in the face of the Northern riders exploiting the crosswind.

What was it like for you SG? I mean the cross wind not the Chorizo fuelled wind.

Is it windy over there Gazza? They lied about the weather. It's been nice today (for cleaning laundry and puke).
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    Forced to go out for a family dinner with 25km to go. Got back after the ITV4 highlights.
    Effectively watched 75km of boredom and missed the race. Boo!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,116
    Pinno wrote:
    What was it like for you SG? I mean the cross wind not the Chorizo fuelled wind.

after a breezy few days seems to have eased, which is good, makes the higher twisty bits less terrifying
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Are Team Sky going to bore everyone today? Asking for a friend
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,084
    Are Team Sky going to bore everyone today? Asking for a friend

Just like the Giro, this one's not as easy to control. Besides, the TdF route this years was officially classed as pants.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pinno wrote:

Just like the Giro, this one's not as easy to control.

Doping control? Don't win a stage and no need to piss in a bottle.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Been a bit blowy, but eased off now.

Good win for Lampheid yesterday.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Is ITV 4 doing live coverage of this or is it highlights only? Need something to chill out in front of to keep my eyes open as am soooo tired.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Pinno wrote:

Doping control? Don't win a stage and no need to wee-wee in a bottle.

Surely it's more random that that? How come nobodies in the past have been tested and caught? I'd imagine there's also a protocol for doping control for GC contenders as well as stage winners.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Mouth wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Doping control? Don't win a stage and no need to wee-wee in a bottle.

Surely it's more random that that? How come nobodies in the past have been tested and caught? I'd imagine there's also a protocol for doping control for GC contenders as well as stage winners.
    They always test the stage winner - but also the race leader so Froome would have been tested a load while he was in yellow regardless of stage wins.

Here is an example:

the-riders-names-are-not-printed-on-the-list-but-their-race-numbers-and-team-names-are.jpg

However, that was a theory that was advanced in the asylum for Froome not winning any stages.
  • Matthewfalle
    So theoretically, you could nor win any stages then stay just out of yellow until the last few stages whilst riding doped up then as you become clean smash into yellow and win the whole thing without being tested at all?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bobmcstuff
    So theoretically, you could nor win any stages then stay just out of yellow until the last few stages whilst riding doped up then as you become clean smash into yellow and win the whole thing without being tested at all?
    Provided you managed to guarantee not getting on that list of six or seven other riders somehow, and I don't think the selection is random.

And provided whatever you were taking wore off enough that you weren't going to test positive in the last few days. And that it wasn't going to trip the bio passport. And that your performance didn't tail off as you stopped taking whatever it was.

It seems very possible to beat the testing but that doesn't sound like the best way...
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Is ITV 4 doing live coverage of this or is it highlights only? Need something to chill out in front of to keep my eyes open as am soooo tired.

Highlights only.
  • Well that was a dull stage, beautiful scenery though for a 3rd world country

I'm off to watch Icarus
  • Matthewfalle
    Qube wrote:

Highlights only.

Thank you!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Provided you managed to guarantee not getting on that list of six or seven other riders somehow, and I don't think the selection is random.

And provided whatever you were taking wore off enough that you weren't going to test positive in the last few days. And that it wasn't going to trip the bio passport. And that your performance didn't tail off as you stopped taking whatever it was.

It seems very possible to beat the testing but that doesn't sound like the best way...
    Best way is a hole in the wall.
    Allegedly.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Matthewfalle
    PBlakeney wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Allegedly.

So literally a glory hole then?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Bertie should pack his bags. Embarrassing.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Allegedly.

So literally a glory hole then?
    Worked for the Russians according to Icarus. Allegedly.
    They got glory. I assume that is what you meant.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Top tip - I have had problems with my Eurosport account and the upshot is that I cancelled and cannot renew. The important bit, it still works on my Amazon Firestick. Just FYI as you may be able to get free Eurosport.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Garry H wrote:

Make you wonder what gear all the new kids are on
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Tonights ITV4 highlights at 10:00pm. That and the broom cupboard studio chat makes me think they are less committed to this than they are to the TdF.
  • mrfpb
    I've been recording the highlights anyway to get through the ad breaks. Only take 30 mins (approx) to watch!
  • mrfpb
    From the 'official' thread:

OCDuPalais wrote:
    Unrelated but Gesink was at the race today.

Still in his corset/split thing after his accident on stage 9 in the Tour.

DHxvjOgXoAADUqR?format=jpg&name=large

Gesink needs to get a corset designed for a non-lactating geezer

I was instantly reminded of something I saw a while ago, where someone imagined what male superheroes would look like if they were drawn (and costumed) in the same way as female ones...
  • Garry H
    Garry H wrote:

Get with the programme, only Lance EVER doped.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,589
    Garry H wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Get with the programme, only Lance EVER doped.
    I heard that a few of the downhill racers might have smoked some weed.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bobmcstuff
    mrfpb wrote:
    Tonights ITV4 highlights at 10:00pm. That and the broom cupboard studio chat makes me think they are less committed to this than they are to the TdF.
    Women's rugby world cup. The regular slot is 7pm.
  • pblakeney
    Sprinters stage.
    Didn't miss much.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Defined as a hilly stage today, a bit like hill repeats on Box Hill I guess
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Top tip - I have had problems with my Eurosport account and the upshot is that I cancelled and cannot renew. The important bit, it still works on my Amazon Firestick. Just FYI as you may be able to get free Eurosport.

But then you have to listen to the sparkling wit and droll commentary of Sean Kelly. A man who surpasses even the legendary Brian "Frankie Boyle" Smith for a monotone drone that can induce a coma and make even the most exciting of stage action sound like a presentation at a paint drying convention.......
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:

But then you have to listen to the sparkling wit and droll commentary of Sean Kelly. A man who surpasses even the legendary Brian "Frankie Boyle" Smith for a monotone drone that can induce a coma and make even the most exciting of stage action sound like a presentation at a paint drying convention.......
    True.
    But it still beats paying extra for it as well.
    Veronese68 wrote: