The (Not So) Great Unanswered Question

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Is it ok to to have brandy in a whiskey tumbler.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    Webboo wrote:

Well, strictly no, but if you're on your own, no-one's gonna dob you in ;).
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Webboo wrote:

Certainly preferable to having whiskey in a whiskey tumbler.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    This "Susan Vide" woman seems to be mentioned in a lot of cookery progams these days, how come we never see her on telly as a 'celebrity chef' ?

The older I get, the better I was.

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm absolutely convinced UK Rail fares are deliberately opaque to encourage passengers overpaying.

I'm beginning to think the gov't treats it is a convenience tax.

The Government don't get the cash though do they ? It's the train operating companies. I don't think there's even tax on tickets ?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    Fenix wrote:
    I'm absolutely convinced UK Rail fares are deliberately opaque to encourage passengers overpaying.

I'm beginning to think the gov't treats it is a convenience tax.

The Government don't get the cash though do they ? It's the train operating companies. I don't think there's even tax on tickets ?

Not according to national rail.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_far ... 83871.aspx
    Where does the money from my fare go?
    On average, 97p in every pound of your fare goes back into the railway1.
    The vast majority of revenue from fares covers the costs of services, for example paying for trains, fuel, staff and other day-to-day running costs, and helps to sustain investment in more trains, better stations and faster journeys.

fact-about-fare-2014.jpg

3% margin for the operator.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,042
    I'll read the other 9 pages that I missed when I get a chance.

We bought milk in Portugal and it was horrible. The blue top is the semi skimmed and the green top is the full fat - that didn't help for a starter.

I sat in my car in the parent and child space (very useful if you have young kids) and waited for my other half to get a few bits and bobs and she had both of them with her. Across from where I was are disabled bays. I watched 2 very fat girls park their car in the disabled bay. No badge. I left a note saying I was very sorry to have mistaken them for normal people as it was clearly obvious that being seriously over weight meant that it was difficult for them to walk too far to the front entrance and are quite obviously disabled plus the fact that they were also illiterate.

Woman, late 40's in a brand new BMW pulls up next to me in the Aldi car park in a local town as our Lidl branch was being upgraded and we decided to go for a forest walk and use the Aldi there as an alternative.
    She parks next to me in a Parent and Child spot. I gave her a screwy look when I noticed that she had no child with her. She gave me a look that could have killed in return. She flings the fag in her mouth on the pavement and waltzes off. Bloke in next parking slot (kids in tow) says 'I hate that', pointing at the BMW. I agreed and asked him to stand between me and the supermarket in case of CCTV or her return.
    I let her tyres down. 'It's alright' I said to the bloke 'they're run flats' - he laughed (and if you drive too far on them, they're only about £200 a tyre).

Other half comes back, we pack the shopping and the kids in the car and bloke gives me a smile and the thumbs up.
    Other half was quizzical. I just said it was somebody I knew.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Why can a hurricane blow a branch off a tree or a tree out of the ground, but not blow a leaf off a branch, even in autumn?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    Why hasn't evolution got rid of body hair? What possible benefit can there be to having hair in the crack of your ar$e? Surely bodies should have evolved to get rid of something potentially unhygienic now we generally all wear clothes which presumably negates the previous need for hair?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,372
    Pross wrote:
    Why hasn't evolution got rid of body hair? What possible benefit can there be to having hair in the crack of your ar$e? Surely bodies should have evolved to get rid of something potentially unhygienic now we generally all wear clothes which presumably negates the previous need for hair?
    You asked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimf ... ass_crack/
  • briantrumpet
    Pinno wrote:
    We bought milk in Portugal and it was horrible. The blue top is the semi skimmed and the green top is the full fat - that didn't help for a starter.
    Why hasn't the EU standardised milk bottle top covers? In France it's red for full fat. If I'd realised how rubbish the EU were at standardising milk bottle top colours, I would have voted for Brexit. Not that we needed to take back control of milk bottle top colours, as we already had control of them, it seems. Scandalous.
  • pinno
    edited October 2017
    Pross wrote:
    You asked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimf ... ass_crack/

That ^ was quite good.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    US sailors rescued after five months adrift in Pacific
    Jennifer Appel and Tasha Fuiaba had set off in a small sailing boat from Hawaii on a trip to Tahiti when their engine, damaged by the bad weather, failed.

Their boat then drifted in the open seas about 1,500km (930 miles) southeast of Japan.

What puzzles me is that the boat looks quite a decent sailing craft and people have been know to sail big distances without needing an engine.

Also, people who set off from Hawaii to Tahiti presumably have some kind of idea how to navigate without a satnav or whatever.

I am sure there is an obvious rational explanation but have failed to spot it. Help me out please!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Nope, I can't. They kept showing the fly-by pics on TV this morning and I was thinking "why didn't they just put that sail up that is on the boom?!"
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969
    Nope, I can't. They kept showing the fly-by pics on TV this morning and I was thinking "why didn't they just put that sail up that is on the boom?!"
    I think I read that the mast was broken, presumably not catastrophically, but enough to render it unusable. Luckily they had packed a year's supply of food and a water purifier.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    rjsterry wrote:
    I think I read that the mast was broken, presumably not catastrophically, but enough to render it unusable. Luckily they had packed a year's supply of food and a water purifier.

Have now found an article reporting 'a piece of the mast called a spreader failed'.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tw ... ea-n814806

Other than that, conspiracy.. :shock:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500
    Pinno wrote:
    I'll read the other 9 pages that I missed when I get a chance.

I sat in my car in the parent and child space (very useful if you have young kids) and waited for my other half to get a few bits and bobs and she had both of them with her. Across from where I was are disabled bays. I watched 2 very fat girls park their car in the disabled bay. No badge. I left a note saying I was very sorry to have mistaken them for normal people as it was clearly obvious that being seriously over weight meant that it was difficult for them to walk too far to the front entrance and are quite obviously disabled plus the fact that they were also illiterate.

Woman, late 40's in a brand new BMW pulls up next to me in the Aldi car park in a local town as our Lidl branch was being upgraded and we decided to go for a forest walk and use the Aldi there as an alternative.
    She parks next to me in a Parent and Child spot. I gave her a screwy look when I noticed that she had no child with her. She gave me a look that could have killed in return. She flings the fag in her mouth on the pavement and waltzes off. Bloke in next parking slot (kids in tow) says 'I hate that', pointing at the BMW. I agreed and asked him to stand between me and the supermarket in case of CCTV or her return.
    I let her tyres down. 'It's alright' I said to the bloke 'they're run flats' - he laughed (and if you drive too far on them, they're only about £200 a tyre).

Other half comes back, we pack the shopping and the kids in the car and bloke gives me a smile and the thumbs up.
    Other half was quizzical. I just said it was somebody I knew.
    Patent and Child Spots? Aren't these "too harassed by pampered little shit heads to control car door spots?" or "okay to fling car door as wide as it will go because the rest of society is subservient to dear children spots?" or "child born without knee caps and can't possibly walk 50m spots?"

FFS I grew up with a profoundly handicapped brother, a mother with severe arthritis and a 3-door Capri. We managed with mere car parking spots without getting f-ing precious about it. Problem looking for a solution and thankfully not recognised in statute. Buy a smaller car you tit.

Park in a disabled spot and I'll take issue, mind you.
  • pinno
    edited October 2017
    Park in a disabled spot and I'll take issue, mind you.

Easy; i'm with you. My oldest daughter (now 6) has Aspergers. She has this tendency to just run off, run across roads without looking etc. If I have both of them together, it's a real handful. If I leave her in the car, she can run a muck or worse, jump into the front and open the door and run around. It's only occasionally she does that sort of thing but a couple of times I have had to say to the teller that I will be back in a minute, leave my shopping and go and retrieve my daughter.
    So for all the planning and anticipation of going to the supermarket and my OH working opposite shifts, Parent and Child parking is priceless for me. If take both of them with me and at both supermarkets we use, the Parent and Child spots are a stone's throw from the entrance. I only have 1 road to cross.
    Now if I just have Shorty (my youngest) with me, i'll park anywhere and tend not to use the Parent and Child spot.
  • pinno
    Anyway, back to the boat question.

What was the time gap between the sail problem and the engine failure due to the flood after the storm? Surely as back up, as soon as the sail was compromised, did they attempt to turn around?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Word is: Amazon drones and online deliveries. Da troof. Innit.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

Probably one of those 'yachts people' you get in in Dartmouth and Salcombe who, on the rare occasions they actually leave their mooring, only do it under power and haven't got a clue how to actually use the sails.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969
    Apparently one of the spreaders was broken, I think meaning that the mast couldn't support the load of the full sail. They did try to turn back but press the currents were stronger than the small amount of sail power they could generate. When they were found by the Taiwanese fishing boat, their yacht was in bad enough shape that they weren't able to tow it. One of the pair had 10 years experience of sailing around Hawaii but the other was a novice.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pross wrote:

Probably one of those 'yachts people' you get in in Dartmouth and Salcombe who, on the rare occasions they actually leave their mooring, only do it under power and haven't got a clue how to actually use the sails.

+ Lymington

They're basically holiday homes, that you can buy without needing to pay stamp duty.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

+ Lymington

They're basically holiday homes, that you can buy without needing to pay stamp duty.
    Have you seen mooring costs? :shock:
    :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Listen Blakey, you don't need to defend your yacht-owning habits.

;):lol:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Listen Blakey, you don't need to defend your yacht-owning habits.

;):lol:
    I don't, but I knew a family that was going to. They concluded that Clarkson was right.
    If it floats, flies, or fornicates then it is cheaper in the long run to rent. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I want to have sex with my horse but don't know which of the two places'round the back' that I put it in. I don't want to do it in the wrong place or people will think I'm a pervert and I don't want the other end because it is too ugly and might bite me.

Is it the top one or the one beneath it?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • briantrumpet
    FishFish wrote:
    I want to have sex with my horse but don't know which of the two places'round the back' that I put it in. I don't want to do it in the wrong place or people will think I'm a pervert and I don't want the other end because it is too ugly and might bite me.

Interesting fact - if you do artificial insemination on a cow, you put your hand in the top one.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    FishFish wrote:

A Stallion, takes a way the choice or if you want to be risque, a Colt, you ll be a pervert but you ll be cool and accepted 'round Hollywood.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Thanks - that was really good!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: