Di2

j_mcd
j_mcd Posts: 473
edited December 2017 in Commuting chat
I got a tax refund and it's just about (with a little top up) enough to buy a Di2 groupset. It'd be replacing my 3+ year old 105 set so should see a suitable and noticeable change (especially as there's an extra gear).

So, has anyone upgraded, was it worth it and how much of a ball ache is it to install all the bits. I'm assuming that I'm going to need a tool that I currently don't own to get the BB out but other than that, I think I've got most of the bits.

Oddly enough, the bit that scares me the most about the install is getting a decent wrap when re-taping the handlebars!
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... iew-50868/

There's a section on "ease of installation" at the bottom of the article which might help (I guess the issues are similar for a road groupset).
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Piece of pi$$ to fit. Built 2 bikes up with it, nothing tricky at all, just make sure you buy the correct length e-tube wires.

Should be able to get some good deal on DA9070 now.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    I could be wrong (all my stuff is 9/10 speed) but are there not some rear freehubs that won't take an 11spd cassette? So it might mean a new rear wheel as well.
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    mudcovered wrote:
    I could be wrong (all my stuff is 9/10 speed) but are there not some rear freehubs that won't take an 11spd cassette? So it might mean a new rear wheel as well.

I've just bought a set of Campag Zondas so this won't be a problem as they're 11 speed ready.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    J_MCD wrote:
    I've just bought a set of Campag Zondas so this won't be a problem as they're 11 speed ready.

That's no problem then. :) Hope the upgrade goes well.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    J_MCD wrote:

Oddly enough, the bit that scares me the most about the install is getting a decent wrap when re-taping the handlebars!
    I've given up on pride and now wrap my bars in dissected inner tube. Seems to have a much longer lifespan than all the other tapes I've used...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    if you're using a 105 crankset and upgrading to DI2 you wont actually need to swap BB.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Park tools has a lovely video and webpage on wrapping handlebars. I would recommend a roll of fibre tape as it is far and away the best for keeping wires/cables/tubes well attached and placed (lecky tape is too stretchy)
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Piece of pi$$ to fit. Built 2 bikes up with it, nothing tricky at all, just make sure you buy the correct length e-tube wires.

Should be able to get some good deal on DA9070 now.

DA is never a good deal, Ultegra 6870 is just as good without the extra cost. Would be tempted to hold on though as Ultegra 8050 will be out mid August I believe. So you might be able to pick up a better deal after that't out.

As mentioned though Di2 is a worthy upgrade, especially on a road bike. Only thing that is minor annoyance is that over time the positive click of gear shifts deteriorates somewhat to the point where it becomes difficult to know whether you'd made a positive gear change or not almost. That said, 14,000 miles on my original 6870 di2 kit and only had issue with one wire splitting and shorting the battery which is fairly impressive imo.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    whatleytom wrote:
    . Only thing that is minor annoyance is that over time the positive click of gear shifts deteriorates somewhat to the point where it becomes difficult to know whether you'd made a positive gear change or not almost.

I never understand this: you know you've made a positive gear change because you get a gear change... It's not like manual gear changes where you need to know it's "latched". With Di2, you press the button and something happens. It's like needing a click on your car horn...

To the OP, I've fitted Di2 3 times now and it's just incredibly simple - much, much easier than messing about with mechanical with cable lengths and tensions and all of that malarkey. Just firmly push the connectors home and voila.

The only tip I'd give is to leave a little slack in the cable at the shifters and make sure you fully push home the plugs using the tool. A common mistake is not to get these to fully click home and/or have the plug tugged out because there's no slack in the cable when the bars are wrapped.

I hate wrapping bars - it's by far the worst bit of building a bike.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    whatleytom wrote:
    . Only thing that is minor annoyance is that over time the positive click of gear shifts deteriorates somewhat to the point where it becomes difficult to know whether you'd made a positive gear change or not almost.

I never understand this: you know you've made a positive gear change because you get a gear change... It's not like manual gear changes where you need to know it's "latched". With Di2, you press the button and something happens. It's like needing a click on your car horn...

To the OP, I've fitted Di2 3 times now and it's just incredibly simple - much, much easier than messing about with mechanical with cable lengths and tensions and all of that malarkey. Just firmly push the connectors home and voila.

The only tip I'd give is to leave a little slack in the cable at the shifters and make sure you fully push home the plugs using the tool. A common mistake is not to get these to fully click home and/or have the plug tugged out because there's no slack in the cable when the bars are wrapped.

I hate wrapping bars - it's by far the worst bit of building a bike.

Only other tip - do not pull the plugs out by tugging the wire, lever out with the other end of the doogit provided. And the pushing in also use the doogit and they do click in - it takes a bit more pressure than one might expect.

Another fan here - Di2 with close ratio cassette is so smooth that it feels almost uninterrupted. Only problem I have ever had is that I forgot to charge the battery and had to get from Chelsea to Westminster with a lovely tailwind in easiest spinniest gear

I love wrapping bars cos you can redo till you have it perfect. I hate cutting down the steerer cos it is final.
  • meanredspider
    I can go one better than forgetting to recharge the battery. I once set off on a ride and cursed my Di2 because it had stopped working.

And then I realised the battery (external) was still on the charger in the garage :oops: Fortunately I'd set off from home so just turned around and rode back (bizarrely) hoping no-one had spotted my stupidity :D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Looked at a couple of DI2 bikes outside a cafe yesterday.

I NEED IT!

And I have a medical issue to help justify it...almost.

Just need to sort out my front shift first.
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    whatleytom wrote:

Its annoying because its now to the point, where I can press the shifter with the aim of shifting, and have it not actually shift because I've not pressed hard enough. Which wouldn't happen if there was a cam like change in resistance/click action. To say its like a car horn is complete garbage. Its not that quick ffs.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Convert to Di2 here on my new Synapse. Love it.

Difficult to explain why it is better, but feels right. A bit like explaining why clip into pedals is better than not.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • meanredspider
    whatleytom wrote:
    Its annoying because its now to the point, where I can press the shifter with the aim of shifting, and have it not actually shift because I've not pressed hard enough. Which wouldn't happen if there was a cam like change in resistance/click action. To say its like a car horn is complete garbage. Its not that quick ffs.

You press and the gear changes - I simply don't understand what the issue is. It's not like calling a lift "ffs" :wink: I can honestly say that in the last 6 years I've never pressed and not got the gearchange I wanted. You're only operating a microswitch. In fact, operating a car horn requires far more effort.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I can go one better than forgetting to recharge the battery. I once set off on a ride and cursed my Di2 because it had stopped working.

And then I realised the battery (external) was still on the charger in the garage :oops: Fortunately I'd set off from home so just turned around and rode back (bizarrely) hoping no-one had spotted my stupidity :D
    Went to a race with a few club mates, one unpacked his car, assembled his bike, looked down, swore then disassembled his bike and re-packed the car. No Di2 battery :roll:

I've just got a new bike with Di2. Its one of those things that you don't need, but once you've got it, everything else immediately feels incredibly agricultural and last century.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I've just got a new bike with Di2. Its one of those things that you don't need,

I dunno ..... I rode a mates bike the other day and he has gone slightly over the top with shift buttons .... but having the ability to shift on the hoods, drops, the flats AND the aero bars was freaking genius ..... I do NEEEEED this .. its not a want its a NEEEEEEED

But, I am not paying for it, so I'll make do with Ultegra 5600 :D
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Wondering if I could DI2 on the NHS. Sounds essential to my continued mobility what with all the damage inflicted on my body by car drivers.
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    Once you Di2 you never go back. I bought a new bike with Di2 at a price point almost for D12 on it's own. I like my mechanical shifting old faithful bike, but the Di2 is just a joy to ride, and close to silent shifting.

Essential to ride? No. Preferable to have once you've tried and used it? Most definitely YES
  • meanredspider
    I think I read (well, I did, but I'm not sure on the complete accuracy) that said that the entire Pro peleton was using electronic this year and the DA Di2 won every stage and every jersey. In a year when discs were allowed and won 5 stages (nothing specifically to do with discs but a landmark all the same) I'm happy.

The thing I'm surprised about is how little impact eTap has made on the Pro peleton - just 1 team.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    The thing I'm surprised about is how little impact eTap has made on the Pro peloton - just 1 team.
    Now eTap is the one I covet, as my frame doesn't have internal cabling, but the hydro disc groupset is something like £1800. :shock:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Certainly Shimano won every stage and all of the jerseys - but they outnumbered the opposition massively. They're a far bigger company.

My next upgrade will be to Etap.
  • meanredspider
    Fenix wrote:
    Certainly Shimano won every stage and all of the jerseys - but they outnumbered the opposition massively. They're a far bigger company.

My next upgrade will be to Etap.

I can't find out the accurate relative sales but I don't think the number of teams running Shimano vs SRAM is fair share compared with the cycling sales of the two companies. Only one SRAM team (and even that, running Shimano rim brakes) seems disproportionately low respresentation.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I think I read (well, I did, but I'm not sure on the complete accuracy) that said that the entire Pro peloton was using electronic this year and the DA Di2 won every stage and every jersey. In a year when discs were allowed and won 5 stages (nothing specifically to do with discs but a landmark all the same) I'm happy.

The thing I'm surprised about is how little impact eTap has made on the Pro peloton - just 1 team.

I appreciate that is unverified but those are some great stats. I'm 'avin that and sharing it meself!
    FCN = 4
  • meanredspider
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I think I read (well, I did, but I'm not sure on the complete accuracy) that said that the entire Pro peloton was using electronic this year and the DA Di2 won every stage and every jersey. In a year when discs were allowed and won 5 stages (nothing specifically to do with discs but a landmark all the same) I'm happy.

I appreciate that is unverified but those are some great stats. I'm 'avin that and sharing it meself!

Here's my reference

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/226557 ... and-jersey

And I need to correct myself that there were 2 SRAM teams, (3 Campag and 17 Shimano) - I had read elsewhere that there was only one eTap team.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yeah, someone has already corrected me on that. I've blamed you :lol::wink:
    FCN = 4
  • meanredspider
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    yeah, someone has already corrected me on that. I've blamed you :lol::wink:

That's OK - I'm used to it :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,701
    My understanding of pro use of DI2 is the advantage they have over where the shifters can be placed. There's a lot of gluing and taping shifter buttons wherever the riders want it.

I do however notice that there are probably one or two instances a race of the DI2 failing somewhere in the peloton; something I don't remember seeing that ever happen with cable kit.

It makes sense; it's much more complex.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I had some major issues with mine but it was eventually resolved and they've now worked flawlessly since, about 2 years ago and in total about 5 years since they were first fitted. I love them for their slick always right changes, the self-trimming front mech, the speed of change and the fact that they just work. It's rarely needed for obvious reasons but being able to re-index on the move is a neat bit of functionality. Would thoroughly recommend them to anyone. Even if you're the unlucky one who has them fail on you or forgets to charge the battery when it needs it, that's a minor downside compared to them being so good for the rest of the time. And yes I have had them give up 50 miles from home. But I've also had thousands of miles of thoroughly enjoyable cycling enormously enhanced by Di2.