TdF 2017: Stage 19 Embrun - Salon-de-Provence, 222.5kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    mrfpb wrote:
    What if Echelons form on the Champs?

giphy.gif

From the name on that gif, it looks like Mathews wins the GC in that case.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    emadden wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXINb_zvNgF3k7PU3mXyc2UysDRxEHXqGr0cnAoDj8TQ9EluS5

Oooh, nice. I promise to behave now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    BigMat wrote:
    Anyone mentioned Vino winning on the Champs to grab a place on the podium due to bonus seconds yet? n.

Yeah. Right about here: viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13082845&start=20#p20184164
  • mrfpb
    {sarcasm}Oh, the build up to the sprint is tense{/sarcasm}
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigMat wrote:
    Anyone mentioned Vino winning on the Champs to grab a place on the podium due to bonus seconds yet? n.

Yeah. Right about here: viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13082845&start=20#p20184164

Figured someone would have. Point is, its about logistical impossibility rather than unwritten rules.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    BigMat wrote:
    Anyone mentioned Vino winning on the Champs to grab a place on the podium due to bonus seconds yet? Unwritten rules my ars*, if Bardet could sneak a win that way no way would he turn it down. Reality is though, it would have to be a very small gap and a very special rider. If Uran was within 10 seconds, you never know he might try, but doubt he'd manage it.

Also, didn't Froome have a go at bonus sprints on the final stage of the Vuelta that Cobo won by a handful of seconds? So he wouldn't really be able to complain.

It was for 5th on GC as opposed to the fight for yellow IIRC... but yes that is the one half example.. dont think it would have happened for yellow.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • emadden
    So Matthews still hasn't caught up with the number of points that Kittel had when he left the race 5 days ago... just sayin'
    www.dotcycling.com
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    BigMat wrote:
    Anyone mentioned Vino winning on the Champs to grab a place on the podium due to bonus seconds yet?
    Even that needed extenuating circumstances to work. The GC times were neutralised due to rain, and Leipheimer's team thought that included bonus seconds so didn't chase him. A leader would just sit on his rival's wheel.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    emadden wrote:
    So Matthews still hasn't caught up with the number of points that Kittel had when he left the race 5 days ago... just sayin'

But he doesn't need to. If he did then I guess he would...Just saying
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    win going to come from the break now??
  • emadden
    emadden wrote:

But he doesn't need to. If he did then I guess he would...Just saying

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Just getting back to that conversation yesterday about the lack of panache... and how he should have at least made some effort at going for a few more points. At least for the optics of being the rider in the race who secured the most points ... which isn't the case... just sayin' :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • emadden
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS63i8sivU0yQNjRotcx4BNwsV1L1zMVdW4pzjg-FusGYETLCQM
    www.dotcycling.com
  • mrfpb
    I was disappointed when Kittell dropped our as the Green Jersey race seemed the most contested. It culd have gone all the way to Paris. I'm sure that Matthews and his team would have been in the break yesterday and today if points were needed. Kittell had more points, put appeared burnt out the day before he crashed out.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    mrfpb wrote:
    Where's my Pink Fluffy Unicorn! - I want my Pink Fluffy Unicorn!

You left it on the Izoard.

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-20%20at%2012.01.32_zpsixez1ppw.png
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    emadden wrote:

Wednesday was not five days ago... just sayin'.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • emadden
    What? sn't today sunday? :lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Seeing as everybody has been talking about how wonderful Barguil and Kwiato have ridden this Tour, who has been your biggest disappointment?

I was really looking forward to seeing how Chaves would get on, but obviously given the circumstances I feel it's a bit unfair to call him a disappointment. So instead, I'm going to go for Brambilla. He was brilliant last year at the Giro and the Vuelta, and I have literally only heard his name mentioned once in the entire Tour.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223
    The whole Merida team.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    ^ Not Quintana?!
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Craigus89 wrote:
    ^ Not Quintana?!

Nope, it's his fourth Grand Tour in a row. Was always going to be a tough ask to be a force in this Tour.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Biggest disappointments have been the crashes, as always (and the Sagan DQ). Most riders have performed as I would have expected, or better - Quintana probably the one who has underperformed the most I suppose.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    ^Landa not doing a Fenton
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    Seeing as everybody has been talking about how wonderful Barguil and Kwiato have ridden this Tour, who has been your biggest disappointment?
    Collectively, The Sprinters. (Exempting Kittel and Matthews). For a sprint heavy Tour, Boasson Hagen shouldn't be one of the top challengers.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Bluemoon17 wrote:

I was really looking forward to seeing how Chaves would get on, but obviously given the circumstances I feel it's a bit unfair to call him a disappointment. So instead, I'm going to go for Brambilla. He was brilliant last year at the Giro and the Vuelta, and I have literally only heard his name mentioned once in the entire Tour.

I haven't seent he whole race but Taylor Phinney seems to have been quiet and Tony Martin as well.
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    A good number of breaks back in week one and two seemed to have only had 2 or 3 riders in it, disappointed in the smaller teams for not sending more riders up the road. I know those breakaways always fail but no fight was really put up. Or maybe I missed the stages where there was a bigger break.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223
    inseine wrote:
    Bluemoon17 wrote:

I haven't seent he whole race but Taylor Phinney seems to have been quiet and Tony Martin as well.

Little unfair - Tony Martin missed his main target by coming fourth on day 1, but he's been doing his work for Kristoff the rest of the time, and launched a doomed attack on a mountain the other day which was fun.

Taylor Phinney was in a marvellous two man breakaway, what feels like about 2 months ago that got caught in the last 2km. And wore the polka dots.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Bit left field but Dan McLay.

And Groenewegen.

A bit harsh on McLay on Fortuneo–Oscaro, but after his breakthrough last year thought he might show well again.

And despite his team backing I can't recall Dylan really showing as a main threat despite the sprint field being decimated.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Hope EBH finally gets his stage today. It's a proper dull one though, I've manage to get a load of work done.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    And what has Kristoff been up to???
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Who is Eddie going to lose out to today?
    [I'd be happy for him to get a win though]