TdF 2017: Stage 19 Embrun - Salon-de-Provence, 222.5kms *Spoilers*

1235»

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Bit of a roll in for the peloton. Contenders saving their legs for tomorrow's TT
  • So, it's all over. Apart from punctures, exploding tri-spokes etc
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Yeah, all came together in a roundabout way.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Sky got quite close to throwing away the team competition. Only lead by three minutes now
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    Deserved win by EBH, difficult in that situation being the favourite in a sprint and against two riders on the same team. Commentators suggesting he was lucky to choose the right side of the roundabout but it looked like a deliberate choice to follow Arndt that side to me.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    dish_dash wrote:
    Yay for EBH and Qhubeka! Pleased that they both get something from the Tour...

I did spend most of that stage asleep on the sofa though.

How are the wounds? I also have some nasty road rash after having an argument with a duck
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    RichN95 wrote:
    Sky got quite close to throwing away the team competition. Only lead by three minutes now

I said Sky would have a hard day with Bakelants in that break. Henao, Nieve and Knees had a dog of a day.
    Kiri did very little today and Kwiatkowski more or less had a well deserved day off.
    So, it will be those two, plus Froome to go for it.
    Hardly a surprise.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    How does the team comp get calculated? Is it the top riders on GC or the combined times of the top riders on each day added together?
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    How does the team comp get calculated? Is it the top riders on GC or the combined times of the top riders on each day added together?
    The times of the top three riders for each team on each stage added together.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pross wrote:
    Deserved win by EBH, difficult in that situation being the favourite in a sprint and against two riders on the same team. Commentators suggesting he was lucky to choose the right side of the roundabout but it looked like a deliberate choice to follow Arndt that side to me.
    Arndt interview in the ITV highlights saying he had checked on Google maps and knew the right side was faster.

Sounded like he was a bit surprised when he flicked the elbow and looked round to see it was EBH on his wheel!
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Arndt interview in the ITV highlights saying he had checked on Google maps and knew the right side was faster.

Sounded like he was a bit surprised when he flicked the elbow and looked round to see it was EBH on his wheel!
    Millar was very uncharitable on commentary saying it was 'dumb luck'. The teams had four hours to check out google maps after the break was settled.
  • bobmcstuff
    dish_dash wrote:
    Yay for EBH and Qhubeka! Pleased that they both get something from the Tour...

I did spend most of that stage asleep on the sofa though.
    ITV highlights package was very good. Barely showed any of the actual race apart from the fun cat and mouse at the end, had a nice interview with Stephen Roche, then Prudhomme etc.

Definitely the best choice for the Sprint stages!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    RichN95 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Millar was very uncharitable on commentary saying it was 'dumb luck'. The teams had four hours to check out google maps after the break was settled.

EBH switched very late though - think he may have forgotten. Also had dumb luck that six other teams hadn't bothered to check.
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Might have been dumb luck for EBH to follow Arndt though - but equally likely EBH knew Arndt was the next fastest guy there and made the choice to take his wheel.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    RichN95 wrote:

I said Sky would have a hard day with Bakelants in that break. Henao, Nieve and Knees had a dog of a day.
    Kiri did very little today and Kwiatkowski more or less had a well deserved day off.
    So, it will be those two, plus Froome to go for it.
    Hardly a surprise.

Froome actually lead the chase down very early when AG2R tried to get two guys in the break - but 3mins advantage over AG2R should be plenty. Sky had four riders (G, VK, CF, MK) infront of AG2R's first rider Pierre Latour in Duseldorf. Sky took nearly two minutes on AG2R - even with G missing in action I would think that SKY would hope to take 90secs min over AG2R
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Might have been dumb luck for EBH to follow Arndt though - but equally likely EBH knew Arndt was the next fastest guy there and made the choice to take his wheel.
    EBH said he'd reconned it too. Great to see how super happy he was, even Matt Rendell telling him how many times he'd narrowly lost couldn't really bring him down. I thought he was going to throw it away earlier when he was attacking from a long way out.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Either lucky or very well planned - Eddie was on the the front immediately before but was at the back at the perfect moment. I Couldn't quite tell which from ebh interview, but very deliberate move from the two of them. Ebh was favourite anyway, but losing another sprint would have been horrible for him.

Arndt very gracious in defeat.

Also - I see freibe agreed with my earlier point about French performance - best since 1997