TdF 2017: Stage 18 Briançon - Izoard, 179.5kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited July 2017
    type:epyt wrote:
    Not sure Jo Rowsell Shand has any insight to offer on road cycling at the highest level ... She might not be sure either judging by her input so far ... A story about doing a sportive isn't really expert opinion is it?

At least she rode a bike at the top level.
    Rugby hasn't fared at all well in this dept.

Seems fair: Bora doing the boring bit.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    smithy21 wrote:
    Also, if Matthews feels the need to pick up points he still has another couple of stages to do that on doesn't he?

Yep, if he's got any sense he'll be saving himself to try for another stage tomorrow.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    smithy21 wrote:
    Also, if Matthews feels the need to pick up points he still has another couple of stages to do that on doesn't he?

Yeh, but in theory Kittell could have challenged for those so no guarantees (there's 86km between the last climb and the sprint point on tomorrow's stage so today was Matthews last chance of 'easy' points (hard work, easy sprinting) which would have got him Green by merit) …

ps. Not doing Matthews down, his hard work deserved reward but I would have liked to have seen that final bit of panache in gaining Green ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
    Not sure Jo Rowsell Shand has any insight to offer on road cycling at the highest level ... She might not be sure either judging by her input so far ... A story about doing a sportive isn't really expert opinion is it?

At least she rode a bike at the top level.

Agreed, but I'd be saying the same if Chris Hoy pitched up ... She's on about the Sportive again as it's all she's got to say ...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    smithy21 wrote:

Yeh, but in theory Kittell could have challenged for those so no guarantees (there's 86km between the last climb and the sprint point on tomorrow's stage so today was Matthews last chance of 'easy' points (hard work, easy sprinting) which would have got him Green by merit) …

ps. Not doing Matthews down, his hard work deserved reward but I would have liked to have seen that final bit of panache in gaining Green ...

One man's panache is another man's totally pointless waste of effort.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    smithy21 wrote:

In theory Sagan, Cav and Démare could also have challenged for those points, just as in theory LRP could have been challenging for GC.

Meanwhile Froome has yellow without having won a stage if we're talking about panache.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Good to see Brienne of Tarth still in the break

GameOfThrones_S2_Brienne_of_Tarth_02.jpg
    www.dotcycling.com
  • above_the_cows
    emadden wrote:
    Good to see Brienne of Tarth still in the break

GameOfThrones_S2_Brienne_of_Tarth_02.jpg

That's exactly it. Good one.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Watching this with the new Orange is the new Black series on is weirdly perfect....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
    smithy21 wrote:

In theory Sagan, Cav and Démare could also have challenged for those points, just as in theory LRP could have been challenging for GC.

Meanwhile Froome has yellow without having won a stage if we're talking about panache.

I know I'm just being fussy, and it's easy to say from the comfort of my own home, but it would have been a nice way to end the day in Green and make it all about him rather than people still mentioning Kittel ...

Froome doesn't seem to trust his legs (hence letting the bonus seconds seemingly drift today, just in case) …
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    smithy21 wrote:

I know I'm just being fussy, and it's easy to say from the comfort of my own home, but it would have been a nice way to end the day in Green and make it all about him rather than people still mentioning Kittel ...

Froome doesn't seem to trust his legs (hence letting the bonus seconds seemingly drift today, just in case) …

Possibly tea Froome. But he may want to have his team there to rip everyone's legs off on the last climb. Not long until we find out.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Ag2r all look like this:

The-World-Gurning-Championship-Egremont-Crab-Fair-18-of-46.jpg

Mikel Landa looks like this:

qa_bored.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    So have I missed anything? Vaches?

On Mathews: not gone for green all over and green bike - I think that's a decent restrained comment on Kittle going out. This is a man known as "Bling".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    So have I missed anything? Vaches?

On Mathews: not gone for green all over and green bike - I think that's a decent restrained comment on Kittle going out. This is a man known as "Bling".

Poor on the cow front. They need more Bling.

il_fullxfull.325329135.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Is this the exciting stage?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited July 2017
    On the subject of Matthews pause for a quick laugh at how badly drawn the halo and the angel's body is on his tattoo. The halo looks like a wonky multi coloured rubber quoit.

CORVOS_00018492-079small1.jpg
  • Just tuned in, Are Sky not bothering to push for a Froome stage win then?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Does seem like everyone else bar Sky are trying to shut down GC attacks.

Big break softening each other up for the climb
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    Gallopin having a mare.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Jesus, he has his own birthday tattooed on him. That's a special kind of twattishness.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Cofidis!
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    err, are they going to catch the break?

only I have real money on Froome and if they didn't that would inconvenience me
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Sky are just making everyone else work for the possibility of bonus seconds.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Just tuned in, Are Sky not bothering to push for a Froome stage win then?
    Don't know. Other teams keen on riding so they're letting them
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Jesus, he has his own birthday tattooed on him. That's a special kind of twattishness.

I was actually about to ask why many on this forum are a bit down on Matthews. The above answers the question comprehensively.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Jesus, he has his own birthday tattooed on him. That's a special kind of twattishness.
    He does come across that way sometimes
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    AG2Rs effort could just be helping hide the lack of form of the likes of Henao and Nieve, but I guess that's what happens when you have to set the agenda.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Aussies and sport = a type of character.

However, I am ok with Matthews, more so these days. I may wish Kittel was still here for a battle to the wire, he had made the effort to create a competition for the green jersey within the races circumstances.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204

Just when I was beginning to think I had misjudged him.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    mfin wrote:
    On the subject of Matthews pause for a quick laugh at how badly drawn the halo and the angel's body is on his tattoo. The halo looks like a wonky multi coloured rubber quoit.

CORVOS_00018492-079small1.jpg

Bejeezus.