TdF 2017: Stage 18 Briançon - Izoard, 179.5kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    I think it's been a really good Tour this year. Few sprint stages that were always going to be dull, and were dull (and too short) but the rest has been good racing pretty much every day. That Sunweb day was outstanding.

Today we find out if multiple mountain top finishes would have made the GC race dull.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Ridgerider wrote:
    1. I'm feeling some anger from ATC regarding car parking issues.

Perhaps a few.
    Ridgerider wrote:
    2. I hope the tour organisers put some marshals on that little short cut between start and finish towns.

They should turn left at the Carrefour and again at the Leclerc and they'll be done in no time.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    The weather forecast has changed a bit overnight, not that these Tour forecasts have been that accurate.
    The is rain now forecast on the Izoard. A cross tailwind for most of the journey back towards Briançon.

etape_18.gif

Ugh the Izoard in the rain is grim. It will be a real shame if the final mountain of the Tour is shrouded in clouds. We'll miss the spectacle.

ooh I dunno. who can forget Schleck vs Contador on the mist-shrouded Tourmalet in 2010
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    I did these two the other direction. I honestly can't remember anything about either of them apart from thinking "this is not so much fun" on the Izoard.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Pross wrote:
    Feel thoroughly underwhelmed by this Tour - the close GC suggests an exciting battle but really just reflects the lack of action. I'm not expecting anything different today.

There's been as much action as in recent years it's just that in recent years Froome has managed to make an early attack stick and Quintana has managed to gain some back later. This year everyone has been much closer matched so no major time gains.

Don't people say this every year? Maybe cycling just isn't as interesting as they'd like it to be. I think it's been a really good addition, especially due to the excitment on days expected to be transitional. Definitely missing Porte though, and maybe Sagan too.
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    ...Continued.

The old city's main thoroughfare is a tourist trap but is on a very steep slope with a small river running down the middle of it. There are little gems to be found away from the main street however that the coach trips never seem to find.

Bar terraces with lovely views.

IMG_5110_zpspitilwu5.jpg

IMG_5111_zpst7ytmduk.jpg

And I can thoroughly recommend the square by the church for a good drink and dinner. The strange man and the donkey are extra.

IMG_1971_zpstvqyaas4.jpg

The local priest is also rather handsome and rides a motorbike, if you're into that kind of thing. Many of the local women can be seen demonstrably sighing in sadness when he passes as they ponder what might have been, meanwhile the dishy priest's parents like a good glass of red and are very friendly. Top ethnographic insights from ATC on this one folks.

If you stay long enough you will be treated to some wicked home distilled Genepi.

IMG_1980_zps65zarxvw.jpg

As promised some car parking advice. The car park Champ de Mars by the top gate into the walled city the Porte de Pignerol fills up early with day trippers and you need to find a spot in creative ways. A word of warning with the ticket machine. If you want a week ticket (a very reasonable €25) you need to wait at least half an hour before putting the ticket you are given upon entry into the machine to select week ticket because the first 30 mins is free and you will loose the ticket and then have to pay for a 'lost' ticket in order to get out of the car park. Trust me on this folks, its very logical once you figure it out, but be warned.

As for the stage they head down the Durance valley for the first 70kms or so. For those wanting a nice, interesting up and back climb with some nasty ramps I recommend the climb up to the Pré de Madame Carle beyond Pelvoux. Here you are right in the heart of the Barre des Écrins and there is a wonderful glacial stream and omlettes the size of a small child.

IMG_5094_2_zpssax7tkkk.jpg

The Izoard, topping out at 2,360m, is climbed from the harder southern side that shows off its moonscape to the full.

IMG_5187_zpsayjpgiaq.jpg

IMG_5186_2_zpswbj4ad9v.jpg

Just marvelous, thank you!
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    edited July 2017
    I find it strange that people complain about too many MTFs in the Tour play into Froome's hands making the race boring and then moan when there's fewer MTFs. They also say how exciting the Vuelta is compared to the Tour and that's nothing but MTFs!!
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Double post
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    hypster wrote:
    I find it strange that people complain about too many MTFs in the Tour play into Froome's hands making the race boring and then moan when there's fewer MTFs. They also say how exciting the Vuelta is compared to the Tour and that's nothing but MTFs!!
    Some people will never be happy.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Are there no cows in this part of France, the daily Cow Pictures have been one of the highlights of the tour so far.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Ridgerider wrote:

Perhaps a few.
    Ridgerider wrote:
    2. I hope the tour organisers put some marshals on that little short cut between start and finish towns.

They should turn left at the Carrefour and again at the Leclerc and they'll be done in no time.

Thomas De Gendt‏ @DeGendtThomas 1h1 hour ago
    I think i take the shortcut via cervieres
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Independence Day in Colombia today, incentive for patriotic Colombian riders to attack? Or just an excuse for those on the roadside* to go even more bonkers?

* is anyone actually left at home in Colombia or are they all at le Tour (no milk please notices posted at all border crossings)?
  • above_the_cows
    Ridgerider wrote:

Perhaps a few.
    Ridgerider wrote:

Thomas De Gendt‏ @DeGendtThomas 1h1 hour ago
    I think i take the shortcut via cervieres

Sensible man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    A shoot.
    Kirby is starting for Eurosport today, which means he will be doing his usual, hysterical babbling at the finish. :(
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    I've seen riders DQd for passing the lead car like that in local races.
  • Pross
    Rolland desperate to become the new TV Tommy or a genuine tactic for Uran?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    inseine wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Feel thoroughly underwhelmed by this Tour - the close GC suggests an exciting battle but really just reflects the lack of action. I'm not expecting anything different today.

There's been as much action as in recent years it's just that in recent years Froome has managed to make an early attack stick and Quintana has managed to gain some back later. This year everyone has been much closer matched so no major time gains.

Don't people say this every year? Maybe cycling just isn't as interesting as they'd like it to be. I think it's been a really good addition, especially due to the excitment on days expected to be transitional. Definitely missing Porte though, and maybe Sagan too.

No I think it's actually been a poor race, I enjoyed the Giro, I sometimes enjoy the Tour but this has been poor.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    One group of about 20 with a small gap and a similar sized group about to join. Seems to be loads of Cannondale riders active in the break but Sky content for them to go.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Can someone please buy De Ghendt a Derny? :lol:

Does he ever mix up his tactics, besides pushing hard early in stages? :P
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    Four leading De Gendt, De Marchi, Calmejane and one other.
  • Pross
    3 x Astana, 3 x Cannondale and at least one AG2R rider in the huge break. No Sky riders there.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2017
    Are there no cows in this part of France, the daily Cow Pictures have been one of the highlights of the tour so far.

They are all hiding from the crowds.

20160731_185046.jpg?w=676
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    http://commentators2.dimensiondata.live/#/live-tracking

51(?) riders ahead of the Froome group, could be handy to break free on the flat.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • blazing_saddles
    Nobody in the huge group should worry Sky at all.
    Just let them go, already.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Some guy called Talansky in the break... who? :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Yep. Let them go and point out to the sprinters teams that giving them a twenty minute lead isn't going help their guys make the time cut.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yep. Let them go and point out to the sprinters teams that giving them a twenty minute lead isn't going help their guys make the time cut.

Yup.
    Plus the bonus seconds are more crucial to Bardet and co, than Froome.
    Numpty tactics you would think.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436

Quick screen shot from a few minutes ago

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWxEs_ZgpQv/
  • above_the_cows
    Love this but of road!
  • above_the_cows

They are all hiding from the crowds.

20160731_185046.jpg?w=676

Top!