TdF 2017: Stage 18 Briançon - Izoard, 179.5kms *Spoilers*

18910111214»

Comments

• If there's any TTs in it, he can win again next year. Would love to see Bardet win it though.

I'd think a course maximising the number of short 20% gradients to MTFs and minimising the number of TT km will be on offer next year to maximise Bardet's chances of beating Froome.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Lets hope Sky dont really target the Vuelta.
    They are this year. And they'll turn up with something like Froome, Poels, Nieve, Kennaugh, Deignan, Stannard, Moscon, Kiryienka, Rosa
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Even a mechanical in the TT won't be enough for Uran. Froome will beat him by a minute plus on the day on top of the 30 seconds he already has.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    If there's any TTs in it, he can win again next year. Would love to see Bardet win it though.

I'd think a course maximising the number of short 20% gradients to MTFs and minimising the number of TT km will be on offer next year to maximise Bardet's chances of beating Froome.

The only way Bardet stands any chance of winnng the Tour is if Froome, Porte, Dumoulin, Nibali and maybe even Landa are not in the field.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    hypster wrote:
    If there's any TTs in it, he can win again next year. Would love to see Bardet win it though.

The only way Bardet stands any chance of winnng the Tour is if Froome, Porte, Dumoulin, Nibali and maybe even Landa are not in the field.

With a load of 20% ramp short finishes he'd also have to look out for Valverde....

Bardet is still young, he's got time to work on his TT.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    gsk82 wrote:
    Even a mechanical in the TT won't be enough for Uran. Froome will beat him by a minute plus on the day on top of the 30 seconds he already has.
    Uran is a lot better than you're giving him credit for. I doubt Froome will beat him by more than 30 seconds. He may even lose (the TT) by a few.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    RichN95 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    Uran is a lot better than you're giving him credit for. I doubt Froome will beat him by more than 30 seconds. He may even lose (the TT) by a few.

That's just wishful thinking. Froome has a great record for end of grand tour time trials comparable to the best time trialists. Uran isn't in his league, as was shown in stage one.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    gsk82 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

That's just wishful thinking. Froome has a great record for end of grand tour time trials comparable to the best time trialists. Uran isn't in his league, as was shown in stage one.

He wasn't riding his own bike on stage one.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    You can discredit stage 1 immediately thanks to the weather. Wasn't one of the big crashes a Cannondale rider?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    narbs wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

He wasn't riding his own bike on stage one.

He's dropped overall positions on all but one time trial in stage races this year.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Kramon_TdF17_st18_6017.jpg

Like how the photographer has his/her stash from the Publicity Caravan (bottom left of the photo). Looks like a Cochonou hat, McCain bag, Haribo...
  • RichN95.
    RP1lgN4.png?1
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    RP1lgN4.png?1

MY MAN!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    hypster wrote:

Well you could make a case as to why any of those may finish ahead of Bardet in the 2018 Tour but the only one who I'd say is favourite to would be Froome and he is showing signs of perhaps just starting to decline.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]