TDF 2017: 15th July - Blagnac - Rodez - 181.5kms *Spoilers*

123457»

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Agreed, just rewatched it waiting for the live coverage, it's just not in Aru's skill set to do well fighting for position with the big men.

Same for Quintana really, if you don't grow up racing Belgian kermesse and you don't have the horsepower on the flat then it's hard. One thing you have to hand to Froome is he has worked on his weaknesses. Same with descending - whether or not you think he was poor or just ok we can probably all agree he's got a lot better.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Quintana quoted as saying that he didn't want to battle alongside the bigger guys in the finish yday and preferred to play it safe

That's Quintana in a nutshell

Saving himself for the fourth week.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    what struck me was how much better Millar+Ned were at calling the end phase, compared to Eurosport.

Millar spotted Aru's dopeyness miles out. Eurosport only mentioned it, as far as I could tell, when Aru was crossing the line!
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Quintana quoted as saying that he didn't want to battle alongside the bigger guys in the finish yday and preferred to play it safe

That's Quintana in a nutshell

S'the problem when you don't live and race that much in Europe.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Wouldn't underestimate the fact that Froome and Kwiatowski had the watts to put/keep themselves in that position.
    Aru didn't

A domestique always comes out of the pack to be the key man in any victory - this years it's Kwiatkowski.

Also a great ride from Dan Martin who's obviously in a lot of discomfort
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    what struck me was how much better Millar+Ned were at calling the end phase, compared to Eurosport.

Millar spotted Aru's dopeyness miles out. Eurosport only mentioned it, as far as I could tell, when Aru was crossing the line!

Nah, Hatch mentioned in the last 200m that he couldn't see Aru
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Maybe mentioned already, according the Cycling Podcast it was Kiryienka who spotted Aru was out of position as he drifted back and communicated this through the team car to Froome/Kwiatkowski
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    smithy21 wrote:
    I worry about Rigo's bad day. He usually has one.

Dan Martin is prone to one too. Hopefully they both have their jour sans on the rest day :D and will be ship-shape for the rest of the week and can dislodge Aru.

DD.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Really depends on Martin's back. He seems to be getting better, but still not looking great after the crashes on stage 9.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023