Vuelta 2017 line up.

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Timoid. wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    The double hasn't been done since 1995.

Don't think it's been done since 1978 (Hinault)

The last double was Contador with Giro + Vuelta in 2008

The last tour double was Pantani with Giro + Tour in 1998

And you are right that the last Tour + Vuelta double was Hinault in 1978

Looking at the numbers I am thinking 2018 is perhaps the year to go for the double
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,114
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Climbing the Angliru is a farce.

I'm not sure about that. At the end of the day it's just another climb but the gradient multiplies all the efforts needed and potentially the time gaps. It takes away the option of a rider bluffing and hanging in. With the gearing options these days it's not as ridiculous as it would have been 20 years ago. If it happened to rain it would be another matter though!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    imatfaal wrote:
    Looking at the numbers I am thinking 2018 is perhaps the year to go for the double

Depends a lot on the parcours. I think this year is a great opportunity due to the relative lack of really hard mountain stages in this year's Tour, and I think he'll do it.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • imatfaal
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

Depends a lot on the parcours. I think this year is a great opportunity due to the relative lack of really hard mountain stages in this year's Tour, and I think he'll do it.

I was just making a facile joke that the three previous doubles were all on the year ending 8.

Agree - I think this year is a great chance for Froome. I don't think he had to empty the tank completely on TdF, he has a hugely strong team, Wout Poels should be back as the last line of defence, and I think he has a mental edge over all his opponents.

Haven't looked at the Vuelta parcours in detail yet just the last few days in Asturias - there is a slight chance I might get down to Spain for the Angliru MTF - is it really that bad a climb; ie do I need to get a wider range cassette?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    imatfaal wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

I was just making a facile joke that the three previous doubles were all on the year ending 8.

Agree - I think this year is a great chance for Froome. I don't think he had to empty the tank completely on TdF, he has a hugely strong team, Wout Poels should be back as the last line of defence, and I think he has a mental edge over all his opponents.

Haven't looked at the Vuelta parcours in detail yet just the last few days in Asturias - there is a slight chance I might get down to Spain for the Angliru MTF - is it really that bad a climb; ie do I need to get a wider range cassette?

:oops: got whooshed on that one

The Angliru is mental http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Angliru---Gamonal&qryMountainID=18
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • imatfaal

And that's three days before Angliru? That is one hell of a finish to a Grand Tour
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,200
    Just had a flick through all the stage profiles.

It's chuffing bananas from start to finish.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,528

The position of the intermediate sprints seem a little odd on some stages. Anyone know are they right on the LaVuelta website?

After 197km of a 204km stage seems a little late. Actually, they look barking on almost every stage.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,187

This is a special kind of bonkers

vuelta-a-espana-2017-stage-15-sierra-nevada-alto-hoya-1484252566.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • imatfaal wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

The Angliru is soo steep motoriders struggle to get their bikes up it

May I suggest taking a gondola?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,198
    Bonkers, bananas, barking = the Vuelta sounds pretty good!
  • kingstongraham
    On the Angliru stage, they climb 2500m and descend 1300m in the last 50k.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,200
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Bonkers, bananas, barking = the Vuelta sounds pretty good!

It's not too dissimilar from a route a bunch of internet forum people would dream up tbh.
  • imatfaal
    Stage 10

Escartin comments
    Flat. Transition stage that will end with a climb up the Collado Bermejo. Favourable for breakaways, although the last climb may see a large group fighting for victory. That same mountain pass will result in the sprinters being less active.

It's got a fuggin' 1000metre cat3 f/b cat1 climb in the middle of it - that's not flat
  • kingstongraham
    imatfaal wrote:
    Stage 10

Escartin comments
    Flat. Transition stage that will end with a climb up the Collado Bermejo. Favourable for breakaways, although the last climb may see a large group fighting for victory. That same mountain pass will result in the sprinters being less active.

It's got a fuggin' 1000metre cat3 f/b cat1 climb in the middle of it - that's not flat

To be a mid-mountain like stage 11, there needs to be two 1000m climbs.
  • imatfaal
    Movistar Team anuncia hoy miércoles una lista de doce candidatos para ocupar las nueve plazas de que dispondrá la escuadra telefónica en la Vuelta a España 2017, que arranca el próximo 19 de agosto en la localidad francesa de Nîmes.

Winner Anacona, Jorge Arcas, Carlos Betancur, Richard Carapaz, Rubén Fernández, Gorka Izagirre, Dani Moreno, Nelson Oliveira, Antonio Pedrero, Dayer Quintana, José Joaquín Rojas y Marc Soler son los nombres que baraja el conjunto de Eusebio Unzué.

La alineación definitiva quedará confirmada tras la disputa de las próximas pruebas del conjunto azul, que compite estas semanas en San Sebastián (sábado 29), Polonia (29-4 agosto), Getxo (lunes 31), Burgos (1-5 agosto) y BinckBank Tour

Very roughly

Movistar Team announces Wednesday a list of twelve candidates to occupy the nine places that the Telefonica squad will have in the Vuelta a España 2017, which starts on August 19 in the French town of Nîmes.

Winner Anacona, Jorge Arcas, Carlos Betancur, Richard Carapaz, Ruben Fernandez, Gorka Izagirre, Dani Moreno, Nelson Oliveira, Antonio Pedrero, Dayer Quintana, José Joaquín Rojas and Marc Soler are the names that have been presented to Eusebio Unzué.

The final line-up will be confirmed after the forthcoming competitions for the team in blue in San Sebastián (Saturday 29th), Poland (29-4 August), Getxo (Monday 31st), Burgos (1-5 August) and BinckBank Tour
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Chris Froome eats bananas for breakfast and he's the dawg. He descended bonkers too, he's like the greatest I tell thee!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    and he's house trained, not like that dupooman!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,936
    RichN95 wrote:

This is a special kind of bonkers

vuelta-a-espana-2017-stage-15-sierra-nevada-alto-hoya-1484252566.jpg

It would be, if it was still in the race.
    One of several significant route changes.
    The far easier, more usual Sierra Nevada ascent now in.

DFrtnUnXgAA6p9-.jpg

Same easing for the Sierra Pandera.

DFrtlNmXoAAZ2qB.jpg

The less difficult ascent of Collado Bermejo, too, but it certainly soups up the run from the top to the finish.
    Mont Chat-esque and no flat kms.

DFrtjswXYAEY0MO.jpg

2 kms chopped off the ITT, too.

DFrtpJkWAAI_qOE.jpg[/quote]

An old, reliable source who used to post here:-

https://twitter.com/LasterketaBurua
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,936
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    Stage 17 finish in numbers.

CollaoEspina1.jpg
    Are they seriously going to race along that section? This isn't a mountain bike race.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,579
    RichN95 wrote:
    Stage 17 finish in numbers.

CollaoEspina1.jpg
    Are they seriously going to race along that section? This isn't a mountain bike race.

Your man Chris is gonna just run up it :wink:
  • That. Is. Cray.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,919
    Haven't they raced up a concrete bit like that before? Think it was in 2014.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I'm sure there was 1 concrete MTF last year?!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Dinyull wrote:
    I'm sure there was 1 concrete MTF last year?!

S17, Valencia and the Mas de la Costa climb, but at least that was a coherent concrete surface not panels.
  • RichN95.
    Which stage is it that they have ride over a rickety wooden bridge?
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Bola del Mundo is similar construction to that horrible thig isnt it? Or is it just a crappy surface?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Are we starting with a TTT on the beach again?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy