2018 Gear

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Well, if you were talking exclusively about that 3T bike then yes, I can't see it working for the diveristy of racing that a pro team will encounter, even with those special 3T cassettes. As someone else said, I'm sure a front derailleur will find its way on to that frame before Aqua Blue have to race it in anger!

1X does have it's place though and whilst it may have been around since the 70s, you'll still more people (pointlessly) running 2X rather than 1X. Go to any flat/rolling road race, criterium, club TT or triathlon and you'll see people running a pair of tyres that cost £100+ and only last a few hundred miles just to save a few Watts, when they could just as easily whip the front derailleur off and save as much.

How often do you use your little ring in those scenarios?

So now I should have a crit bike with a single chain ring for racing each week and then a different bike for training on?

Such a wide ratio cassette in a crit would be a disaster.

You're missing the point, the Specialized crit bike with the 1x doesn't have a particularly wide ratio cassette, so it wouldn't be a disaster at all. The 3T one isn't supposed to be a crit bike specifically and does have a wide range cassette. Wheelsets are also pretty easy to change... Not at all uncommon to have race wheels and training wheels.

The specialized is indeed intended to be a special crit bike, which is why it's probably only bought by really keen crit racers... There is a 2x version available as well for people who want it, it's not like you have no choice.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I think you're fine, Pinno. It's a ridiculous idea.

So have we decided yet, is this all about saving weight? Because - let's go with DA - a front mech weighs ~100g and a 39T ring ~40g. I think I'll keep mine.

But then add the extra weight for the large cassette range.

Exactly.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I think you're fine, Pinno. It's a ridiculous idea.

So have we decided yet, is this all about saving weight? Because - let's go with DA - a front mech weighs ~100g and a 39T ring ~40g. I think I'll keep mine.

But then add the extra weight for the large cassette range.

Exactly.
    Don't forget the less complicated no lighter left brake and the cabling. Vroomen talks about optimizing the rear wheel position but really it's as much about aero and the ease if gear changing.
  • Markwb79 wrote:
    Well, if you were talking exclusively about that 3T bike then yes, I can't see it working for the diveristy of racing that a pro team will encounter, even with those special 3T cassettes. As someone else said, I'm sure a front derailleur will find its way on to that frame before Aqua Blue have to race it in anger!

1X does have it's place though and whilst it may have been around since the 70s, you'll still more people (pointlessly) running 2X rather than 1X. Go to any flat/rolling road race, criterium, club TT or triathlon and you'll see people running a pair of tyres that cost £100+ and only last a few hundred miles just to save a few Watts, when they could just as easily whip the front derailleur off and save as much.

How often do you use your little ring in those scenarios?

So now I should have a crit bike with a single chain ring for racing each week and then a different bike for training on?

Such a wide ratio cassette in a crit would be a disaster.

As Rick so kindly pointed out, this is the Pro Race forum so we're only allowed to discuss what Aqua Blue Sport are going to do with that bike; what you would want to do is not up for debate.

I strongly suspect that all the pros currently running 2x and narrow-range cassettes aren't using their little ring to sprint out of the corners or up hills in a crit; ergo, they'd be just fine using a 1x system and a standard narrow-range cassette.

If 3T want to give them a bunch of bikes to use in these circumstances then why the hell not?! I don't suppose 3T are naive enough to expect them to use a 1X drivetrain in all their races, because I'm sure they realise watching a whole team get dropped as they're all grinding 40 rpm up a 20% grade won't be great publicity.

I don't see why people are getting all up-in-arms about it. If you regularly use your little ring then obviously a 1x system probably isn't for you. That doesn't mean it isn't useful for some people. Do you guys post on every thread about hybrids or shopping bikes or beach cruisers that these have no purpose?

I'm starting to agree with ddraver, the narrow-mindedness on this forum is hilarious :lol:
  • Ben6899 wrote:

No, but keep thinking that if you like.
  • I don't see why people are getting all up-in-arms about it.

I don't think anyone is. Just people having differing opinions on a forum.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:

No, but keep thinking that if you like.

I was asking a question. Don't be so butthurt.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    CVT is what you want, innit. Only one cog on the back and an expandable chainring on the front. No chain-line issues and an infinite variation from top to bottom.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    CVT is what you want, innit. Only one cog on the back and an expandable chainring on the front. No chain-line issues and an infinite variation from top to bottom.

...and made by Volvo.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    David Millar tried going single speed in a TT once.
    That ended well. Well, it ended his chances.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    a) that isn't a TT bike

Why shouldn't a road bike be aero?

Are they mutually exclusive?

He was quite open about it his books, mechanics hadn't tried it out and didn't appreciate that the FD also acts as a chain guide and catcher.

The point about clutches and narrow-wide is that they spot chains dropping.

During Cav's last season at Quick Step, he lost a run of sprints around spring time due to his chain dropping when he started to sprint - IIRC he went through a ton of chainring and crankset options to fix it. I'd imagine a 1x system would be quite interesting in such a scenario.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    nicklong wrote:
    a) that isn't a TT bike

Why shouldn't a road bike be aero?

Are they mutually exclusive?

He was quite open about it his books, mechanics hadn't tried it out and didn't appreciate that the FD also acts as a chain guide and catcher.

The point about clutches and narrow-wide is that they spot chains dropping.

During Cav's last season at Quick Step, he lost a run of sprints around spring time due to his chain dropping when he started to sprint - IIRC he went through a ton of chainring and crankset options to fix it. I'd imagine a 1x system would be quite interesting in such a scenario.

How could the mechanics not appreciate that? Its bleedin' obvious.

And how could he not appreciate that and perhaps say something? After all, its his bike.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Pinno wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

...and made by Volvo.

Wasn't it Daf originally?
    Half man, Half bike
  • pinno
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

...and made by Volvo.

Wasn't it Daf originally?

I was under the impression that Volvo had supplied DAF with the 'rubber band' Variomatic transmission.

A quick search came up with this bit of slightly interesting info from a well known source:

"When DAF was taken over by Volvo, the Variomatic patents were transferred to a company called VDT (Van Doorne Transmissie), later taken over by Bosch. "
  • ridgerider
    Bosch eh...so can we expect some sort of e-bike CVT in the near future, or don't electric motors have a 'sweet spot' like petrol engines or human legs?
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    ...and for you kids out there, we are talking about classic 1970's gear (or no gear...)

310712volvo66.jpg
    Half man, Half bike
  • pinno
    We had a DAF 55. Great little car. Survived the Kenyan roads.
  • inseine
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Bosch eh...so can we expect some sort of e-bike CVT in the near future, or don't electric motors have a 'sweet spot' like petrol engines or human legs?
    Not the near future, it's been around for a while. Called NuVinci. We (Peugeot bikes) have already had it on our ebikes for a couple of years.
  • ridgerider
    Interesting website and technology!

OT Inseine...I finally got round to buying some Peugeot salt and pepper mills, the best grinding mechanism you can get!
    Half man, Half bike
  • inseine
    Ridgerider wrote:
    OT Inseine...I finally got round to buying some Peugeot salt and pepper mills, the best grinding mechanism you can get!

Brilliant! They come under the remit of the little group I work for, no that I no longer design cars. Bicycles are more of a challenge but I can recommend the mills.
  • Ridgerider wrote:

Other than their gearboxes
  • inseine
    Ridgerider wrote:

Other than their gearboxes
    Naughty
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Ridgerider wrote:
    ...and for you kids out there, we are talking about classic 1970's gear (or no gear...)

310712volvo66.jpg

Ah the old Variomatic :D They were a hoot, we bought one in a scrappy when I was 18 ........ 3 of us managed to get it to 50mph and slammed it into reverse to see what would happen........ it just slowed down, and then reversed very quickly and probably would have got to 50 backwards if we'd let it.
  • 61023_100_43_alternative2_1509616040548_x1yqqpb59t1f_1509634704529_1xyv2n950x4hh_630_80_670.jpg

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/100 ... ter-sagan/

He loved them so much, he bought (a bit) of the company.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Big Sagan fan but don't like them glasses at all. Seems cycling is going back to the ski mask look, or at least that's how it looks to me. I know there are advantages of one piece frames but I much prefer the traditional sunglasses look
  • 61023_100_43_alternative2_1509616040548_x1yqqpb59t1f_1509634704529_1xyv2n950x4hh_630_80_670.jpg

I very much prefer the bottom edge to be rim-less as i find it distracting, also reduced the peripheral vision.
  • pinno
    I prefer the Crivit one's from Lidl @ £3.99. They come with mirrored dark, clear and yellow lenses and if I lost them, broke them, scratch them, i'm not going to bawl and chuck my toys out of the pram.
    But as they haven't got the wow Rapha Assos factor exclusive price tag, shiny presentation box and a certificate, I shall be forever consigned to the league of the great unwashed undesirable cyclist.
  • each to their own !

I wouldn't have those but I do have Oakley's.
  • pinno
    each to their own !

I wouldn't have those but I do have Oakley's.

Well if you do want to look like Andy Hampsten...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    61023_100_43_alternative2_1509616040548_x1yqqpb59t1f_1509634704529_1xyv2n950x4hh_630_80_670.jpg

...did Victor Kiam buy the rest?