2018 Gear

Comments

• inseine wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    What's with the asymmetrical chain stays?
    Sits the latest thing in gravel bikes. Allows shorter chainstays wirh wide tyres because there's no space between the tyre and the chainring with a straight chainstay.

Paramount did that in the early 90s on their mtb frames (Tim Gould rode one rebadged as a Schwinn), so did Univega; in those days it was to stop chain slap.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Pinno wrote:
    But the thing is, how much can we re-invent the wheel? There are so many variations of the same theme and like all things mechanical, alteration is minor and peripheral. Unless the UCI change the rules, boundaries of the current limitations will be found readily and improvements to the standard will always be marginal.
    It's akin to the combustion engine which has received more engineering attention than any other mechanical device but had half of that attention been afforded to say Rotary engines, how much more advanced would the most common form of propulsion would the car have now?

You are in design, what do you think?

Back to the bike. A different paint job may have sold it to the luddites perhaps.

Definitely an interesting topic. Would have been more interesting to know where we'd be now if we'd have chosen electric motors rather than the internal combustion engine in the 1900s. Of course road bikes are restricted by regulations, and I have this conversation with human powered vehicle riders who I know, but I don't want to ride around on an enclosed recumbent.
    I also know people who think that car design has peaked, but people who say that usually think the peak is today and not 10 years ago. Funny that. It's just a lack of vision.
    Bicycles are clearly a genius invention. It took mankind 6000 years to think to put one wheel behind the other, then another 160 to make a 'proper' bike, but then they got it right pretty much first time. he rest is very slow development but it's still development. Electric bikes are the latest game changer.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    E bikes are going to allow me to go out with a local CC when i'm 90 :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • inseine
    Pinno wrote:
    E bikes are going to allow me to go out with a local CC when i'm 90 :D
    And drop them all!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    In all fairness, the 1x bike looks absolute dogsh1t. Regardless of what technical advancements it promotes.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    NYTRO_INTRO.jpg01_nytro.jpgPinarello e-bike
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • inseine
    Froome and boys looking tough. LOL. Henri Lloyd gear.

team_sky_henri_lloyd_2__670.jpg
  • inseine wrote:
    Froome and boys looking tough. LOL. Henri Lloyd gear.

team_sky_henri_lloyd_2__670.jpg

A brand probably more likely to be worn by those abusing cyclists from passing Vauxhall Corsas than riding bikes. #geezinit
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    They might as well have gone for Stone Island for the full hooligan effect.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Gweeds wrote:

with some Rockport boots clipped into the pedals
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Gweeds wrote:

with some Rockport boots clipped into the pedals

Whilst wearing Farah’s and an ironic Leo Gemmelli t-shirt.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Why are they making fists?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It looks like the cast of a 90s production of West Side Story where the Jets and Sharks have been replaced by Oasis and Blur fans

"Chris was absolutely mad for it until he met Michelle who lived in a house, a very big house in the country"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pinno
    RichN95 wrote:
    It looks like the cast of a 90s production of West Side Story where the Jets and Sharks have been replaced by Oasis and Blur fans

"Chris was absolutely mad for it until he met Michelle who lived in a house, a very big house in the country"

Now I can't get that bloody tune out of my head. Thanks mate.
  • Love Henri Lloyd stuff - quite exotic for Manchester - but when one is on one's yacht it is just the ticket
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I like the look of that Pinarello. May get one for the Mrs so she can ride with me.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • RichN95.
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I like the look of that Pinarello. May get one for the Mrs so she can ride with me.
    Good idea. They should put that sort of thing in their adverts.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Why are they making fists?

Well, in the case of Kwiatkowski and Thomas it's because they are angry that their ears have just slipped down the side of their heads.
  • RichN95.
    Sky switching to white for 2018

kwiatkowskiwide_670.jpg

roweback_670.jpg
  • inseine
    If it wasn't quite so see through it would be nice. Not sure if it's more of less visible in the peloton, and it's a bit young rider-ish.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    inseine wrote:
    If it wasn't quite so see through it would be nice. Not sure if it's more of less visible in the peloton, and it's a bit young rider-ish.

These days even the ones that have been around a bit look a bit youngridersish to me :(
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    inseine wrote:

These days even the ones that have been around a bit look a bit youngridersish to me :(

S'all that HGH innit. :wink:
  • inseine
    According to some people this looks like dogs**t. I love it and hope we get to see Larry in the peloton a fair bit, complete with great US champs jersey.
    dpuxujox4aa7cvy_670.jpg
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Nice shade of blue. And that's about as good as it gets.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    inseine wrote:
    According to some people this looks like dogs**t. I love it and hope we get to see Larry in the peloton a fair bit, complete with great US champs jersey.
    dpuxujox4aa7cvy_670.jpg

Agreed, I really like it and the stars and stripes look great. Fat Creations know how to make a bike look pretty.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Whats going on down at the bottom bracket area? Are the chain stays pivoted?
    Half man, Half bike
  • pinno
    Peruse the latest De Rosa web site, they do look gorgeous those machines. Won't let me copy paste. Dunno why - after all posting the pics of their bikes is advertising.

I did stumble on this however and i'm not sure if it has been posted before or if it is contemporary but I think it's stunning:

51f186bae6ed3044af70810b3db9f4c2.jpg
  • Pinno wrote:
    Peruse the latest De Rosa web site, they do look gorgeous those machines. Won't let me copy paste. Dunno why - after all posting the pics of their bikes is advertising.

I did stumble on this however and i'm not sure if it has been posted before or if it is contemporary but I think it's stunning:

51f186bae6ed3044af70810b3db9f4c2.jpg

Agreed...

The bar tape and saddle lift the white frame accents and the overall look is perfect
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Almost. Bora 50's would make it truly perfect.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • pinno
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Almost. Bora 50's would make it truly perfect.

Oh no; deep section rims on a slender frame! You must be born after 1980.