2018 Gear

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Why do you ride a fixie?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    So the advantage of one chainring over two is chainline efficiency?
    No, the advantage of having the front chainring move to keep a straight chainline is efficiency- that's what the last couple of posts are about...
  • bobmcstuff
    964Cup wrote:
    Revised version: have a look at http://www.srm.de/news/road-cycling/?tx ... 87eb70fa1a. Lots of cadence data there, but I can't reliably see the colour difference between the speed and cadence traces, so I'm not going to draw conclusions.

The original point, if we all recall, was that Aqua Blue are going to ride 1x11 (or, I suppose, possibly 1x12) next year. Are they going to spin like loons, or have enormous rear cassettes and big gaps at the lower end?

Cadence(Blue) very rarely gets above 110rpm in any stage for most riders, Heart rate (red) does get to 180-200.

So max practical cadence is around 90-100rpm

Every time I've looked at a pro's Strava which includes cadence they're doing a remarkably constant rpm for the whole time, and I think most averages were between 85-100rpm range. I'd need to check but I don't remember seeing any wildly different.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,724
    FocusZing wrote:
    Why do you ride a fixie?

I don't, but this is pro race right?

It's about performance.

None of the riders ride fixie on the road
  • FocusZing
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    So the advantage of one chainring over two is chainline efficiency?
    No, the advantage of having the front chainring move to keep a straight chainline is efficiency- that's what the last couple of posts are about...

Exactly.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing wrote:
    Why do you ride a fixie?

I don't, but this is pro race right?

It's about performance.

None of the riders ride fixie on the road

As already mentioned one team next year will be riding a fixied front (probably a marketing exercise). That's why we are discussing this!

I can see the advantage with a true chain line and no gear crossovers. I like the idea of this filtering through to the general public, less to go wrong, less weight and more efficiency.
  • I reckon that we'll be seeing those 3T frames with front mech hangers glued or bolted on them next year.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Wasn't it this that started the trend (if it is a trend)...?

specialized-allez-sprint3.png?itok=hqvDxzHu
  • rick_chasey
    Right so to be clear, is the thinking that a single chainring on the front saves weight?

And that weight saving is worth the reduction in gear options?
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    At least people can't moan at others for cross-chaining now
  • bobmcstuff
    Right so to be clear, is the thinking that a single chainring on the front saves weight?

It doesn't really reduce the gear options, given the amount of overlap you have on a standard 2x11 system. It might increase the gaps between some gears, which is what would annoy me the most. Although if they do move to 12 or even 13 speed that might reduce how much of a problem that is.
  • bobmcstuff
    inseine wrote:
    Wasn't it this that started the trend (if it is a trend)...?

specialized-allez-sprint3.png?itok=hqvDxzHu

That's designed explicitly for crits though, where the inner ring is effectively redundant anyway.

This 3T thing is designed as a proper road bike.
  • rick_chasey
    bobmcstuff wrote:

It doesn't really reduce the gear options, given the amount of overlap you have on a standard 2x11 system. It might increase the gaps between some gears, which is what would annoy me the most. Although if they do move to 12 or even 13 speed that might reduce how much of a problem that is.

Surely larger gaps means fewer options?

I still don't know what the performance advantage is of having one chainring.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    I'm not sure why you couldn't have a sophisticated gear mechanism in a hub. (Sturmey Archer style) where multiple gear rations are available. All the gearing will be internal and bathed in oil. Even if the hub was supersized - Titanium parts, therefore light and protected from any contaminants.
    I know the aesthetics of a bike would probably be totally ruined but the drive train of a bike has not really evolved that much in the same way as an internal combustion engine has not fundamentally changed bar the odd Wankel engine (Rotary),
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • FocusZing
    The snag with hub gears, Alfine, Rohloff...is they aren't as efficient so wouldn't be suitable for anybody racing.
    Mark Beaumont used a 14x Rohloff on his first round the world attempt, when he was carrying his own kit and wanted reliability. On his record speed attempt with support he went derailleur (weight, efficiency).

With a direct chainline single and 12x or even 13x cassettes it might be advantageous for the reasons mentioned, also a small marketing gains with aerodynamics.
  • But isn't the question of weight irrelevant in the case of the pro peloton due to most teams having to add weights to their bikes to meet UCI weight regs?

I would think that the aero drag of a front mech is minimal as it is in a very disturbed flow anyway. If it was I would imagine that British Cycling would have been all over it due to Mr Boardman's fixation with all things aero.

So that leaves marketing.

I'm not saying that a single chainring setup is bad, they are probably very useful for us mere mortals. But for the pro peloton, perhaps less so
  • I reckon that we'll be seeing those 3T frames with front mech hangers glued or bolted on them next year.

Why?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    I reckon that we'll be seeing those 3T frames with front mech hangers glued or bolted on them next year.

Why?

Because the idea of a pro racing up and down ventoux or the galibier with only one chain ring is ludicrous. Can you imagine these been used on the vuelta? 100 miles on the flat with massive gaps in gears will drive them mad. Unless they all change bikes at the bottom of the 25% finishing climb.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:
    I reckon that we'll be seeing those 3T frames with front mech hangers glued or bolted on them next year.

Why?

Because the idea of a pro racing up and down ventoux or the galibier with only one chain ring is ludicrous. Can you imagine these been used on the vuelta? 100 miles on the flat with massive gaps in gears will drive them mad. Unless they all change bikes at the bottom of the 25% finishing climb.

Would have thought that maybe the DS' may have thought of that before agreeing to the team using the bikes. They may know a thing or two about this sort of stuff.

Or am I missing something.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    gsk82 wrote:

Why?

Would have thought that maybe the DS' may have thought of that before agreeing to the team using the bikes. They may know a thing or two about this sort of stuff.

Yes. It’s called publicity.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Gweeds wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Why?

Or they had no other sponsorship option.

Do people believe that cannondale riders wanted to ride tt bikes with disk brakes?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Aqua Blue are going to need at least 2 if not three other bikes. It'll be interesting to see what Vroomen comes up with for the TTs, given his history. Given the tyre clearance they'll need a Paris- Roubaix bike and in my opinion a double chainset version for the high mountains.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    3T have an 'aero gravel bike' that would be perfect for PR
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Gweeds wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Why?

Well, it's not great publicity for the manufacturer if all you see is lost chains and riders moaning about gear gaps or the team if they win nothing because their bikes are unsuitable, so I suspect, just suspect, that these points may have been discusssed at some point.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gsk82 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Why?

Do people believe that cannondale riders wanted to ride tt bikes with disk brakes?

Perhaps the C/dale riders didn't mind?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Gweeds wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Why?

Well, it's not great publicity for the manufacturer if all you see is lost chains and riders moaning about gear gaps or the team if they win nothing because their bikes are unsuitable, so I suspect, just suspect, that these points may have been discusssed at some point.

It is if they actually only use this particular bike in one flat race somewhere and use sensible options elsewhere.

My guess is there's more chance of Trump sleeping with Obama than this bike being used when it actually matters.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Well, it's not great publicity for the manufacturer if all you see is lost chains and riders moaning about gear gaps or the team if they win nothing because their bikes are unsuitable, so I suspect, just suspect, that these points may have been discusssed at some point.

Just because someone works in pro cycling or the cycling industry, doesn't mean they aren't immune from making mistakes.

Maybe I'm wrong and they will use a 1x setup. Maybe it is the way forward. I dunno...

Don't think you'll hear any of the riders complaining though. It will be the best bike they have ever ridden!
  • gsk82 wrote:

Perhaps the C/dale riders didn't mind?

They didn't ride them and seemingly did so out of preference, despite whatever Cannondale might like.

Take a look at Paddy Bevan's crash from the Tour de France; he's riding along on a standard rim-braked TT bike, crashes and the spare they take off the roof of the car is a disc-braked TT bike!

So he has the option of using a disc-braked bike and goes with the rim-brakes... in the most high profile race of the year.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    it does nothing to dispel the notion that roadies are awful luddites this thread...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • FocusZing
    I think the problem is the proof is in the pudding and if pro riders eat too much pudding they get fat and mess up their power to weight ratio. Jan the man would have given it a go, he liked pudding.