2018 Gear

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    And what’s with that massively overpriced toolkit as well?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • But having seen who makes them I can predict them being out and about en masses very shortly.

Yeah, I wondered if that might change people's view on them.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Pi$$ing it down at Dwars today and not a disc brake was seen. Not even on the roof of a 'we'll be on discs all season Trek' team car or on the wheels of 'look at our disc equipped bikes' EF Education.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Pi$$ing it down at Dwars today and not a disc brake was seen. Not even on the roof of a 'we'll be on discs all season Trek' team car or on the wheels of 'look at our disc equipped bikes' EF Education.
    Was just browsing Instagram and Adam Blythe has just posted a picture of himself on the aqua blue 3T disc bike during today's race......
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Was just browsing Instagram and Adam Blythe has just posted a picture of himself on the aqua blue 3T disc bike during today's race......
    Maybe he meant at the front end of the race.
  • bobmcstuff
    Webboo wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Blythe also said he dropped out with mechanicals........
  • thegreatdivide
    Webboo wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Indeed

[edit] Although, unlike the other teams, Aqua Blue have no choice - they signed up for the trendy bikes. The other teams have a choice and their choice now seems to be not to bother with discs (again).
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    Webboo wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Indeed

[edit] Although, unlike the other teams, Aqua Blue have no choice - they signed up for the trendy bikes. The other teams have a choice and their choice now seems to be not to bother with discs (again).

Tony Martin was on discs..... and then on the deck
  • thegreatdivide
    andytee87 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Indeed

OK then - apart from Aqua Blue and Tony Martin (on the deck) - what have disc brakes ever done for the peloton?
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    andytee87 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Indeed

OK then - apart from Aqua Blue and Tony Martin (on the deck) - what have disc brakes ever done for the peloton?

Not a lot probably- don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting they are crazy for not using them. Apart from wet alpine descents I don't think they are much of an improvement for the pros.

For the Average Joe who saves up for nice wheels then hears the carbon rims being ground with crap down country lanes, discs are appealing. Sponsored pros not so much where they are more likely to buckle the wheel before they need to worry about the brake track
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,646
    Cargo Bibs. :D

rapha-3-1520990729893-1p8j5yu0amq7p-630-354.jpg

Yours for £195!

Can't say i'm hugely impressed with this development.

I mean, the entire point of shorts is to avoid this, but anyway...

Presumably it means most of the industry is arriving at a point where the differences between normal bibshorts are marginal enough that it's all good enough, which is probably no bad thing.

Though I'd rather they focus on price, in which case...
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    andytee87 wrote:
    andytee87 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Indeed

Not a lot probably- don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting they are crazy for not using them. Apart from wet alpine descents I don't think they are much of an improvement for the pros.

For the Average Joe who saves up for nice wheels then hears the carbon rims being ground with crap down country lanes, discs are appealing. Sponsored pros not so much where they are more likely to buckle the wheel before they need to worry about the brake track

I think if Average Joe kept his bike clean and tweeked regularly the rims and every other part of the bike would last longer anyway.
  • thegreatdivide
    andytee87 wrote:
    andytee87 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Indeed

I think if Average Joe kept his bike clean and tweeked regularly the rims and every other part of the bike would last longer anyway.

A ridiculous suggestion.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    1. Sources lead me to believe that Campagnolo are launching their 12 speed groupset today.

2. And on a related note, I did the Sean Yeats Spring Classic sportive yesterday, and Sean was riding a bike with a 1x SRAM groupset.

Put the two things together and maybe that is the way things are going. In a few years time perhaps we will regard double chainsets as we now do triples!
    Half man, Half bike
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Here you go.
    Same overall width as 11 so you can keep your wheels. The rest is new. Chain is supposed to be equally durable but is lighter (thinner, obviously).

Campagnolo-Record-Movement-12_tightly-spaced-steel-12-speed-cassette_road-bike-groupset_twelve-speed.jpg
  • thegreatdivide
    Ridgerider wrote:
    1. Sources lead me to believe that Campagnolo are launching their 12 speed groupset today.

‘Sources’ – you make it sound like a leak. It’s been all over the web since dawn.

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/239692 ... -groupsets
    http://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/4571/c ... d-groupset
    https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/art ... ity-52062/

Plus all social media.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    2018-GiroDItalia-Scott-Mitchelton-Simon-Yates-Scott-Addict-race-bike03.jpg
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    New Addict?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Not sure where this sits but

Looks like BMC will become Giant-Delloit next season, with Sunweb moving to Cervelo. Source is De Telegraaf.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    There's some chat on WW about 2019 sponsorship moves.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Weightweenies maybe?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    Regarding the single chainring 3T bike; apparently it’s not been a success and some conventional double chainrings are on order from the team (says Cycling Podcast).
  • bobmcstuff
    Regarding the single chainring 3T bike; apparently it’s not been a success and some conventional double chainrings are on order from the team (says Cycling Podcast).

Only for certain stages, they also said.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah but mate, if I’m gonna buy a bike, I’m not gonna buy one that only works for flat stages am I?

I mean, I could have told you a single chainring work for stages with little speed changes.
  • bobmcstuff
    Yeah but mate, if I’m gonna buy a bike, I’m not gonna buy one that only works for flat stages am I?

I mean, I could have told you a single chainring work for stages with little speed changes.

No, I just thought it wasn't reasonable to call it an unqualified failure.

I probably wouldn't buy one either, I've got an 11:32 on my bike and I find the gaps annoying for fast, flat group riding, can't imagine what bigger gaps would be like (unless you're happy jumping from 80 to 120 rpm).
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    simonyatesbike1.jpg?itok=Gajs2L33
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

I thought I was a fan of single chains but I heard an interview with a team mechanic and it brought to light what a pfaf they are. Normally the pros occasionally chain cassettes but the Aqua Blue guys are regularly chaining chainrings and chains too.