2018 Gear

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    What a shame. They had easily the nicest kit in the peloton previously.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    I rather like it, and they've done a great job at incorporating the Groupama logo while keeping the FDJ/French colours...
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F72327d56-93f1-11e7-8177-dcdb1e4e95ab.jpg?crop=2000%2C1125%2C0%2C1518&resize=685Meh...
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    dish_dash wrote:
    I rather like it, and they've done a great job at incorporating the Groupama logo while keeping the FDJ/French colours...

It's true, we should be thankful Groupama have allowed them to move away from their green and yellow colours, but it pretty poor overall.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Pinno wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I discovered Synthwave at the end of last year. Where has it been all my life?!

...and now watch 'Tron' for the complete package.
    :D:D
  • salsiccia1
    inseine wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

It's true, we should be thankful Groupama have allowed them to move away from their green and yellow colours, but it pretty poor overall.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but the old kit was lovely.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    Read elsewhere on BR a lot of teams use ultegra/force cassettes instead of dura ace/red.

Functionally the same, cheaper, and a little heavier, making 6.8kilos easier to reach.
  • salsiccia1
    Read elsewhere on BR a lot of teams use ultegra/force cassettes instead of dura ace/red.

Functionally the same, cheaper, and a little heavier, making 6.8kilos easier to reach.

That's interesting. Isn't rotating weight worse than fixed weight though?
  • rick_chasey
    I though that but TBH, I doubt any rider in the world would notice.

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/art ... ion-49023/

#3.
  • salsiccia1
    edited February 2018
    Fair point.

Isn't it about time the 6.8kg limit was reviewed, given the march of technology?

Edit: as hinted at in the link
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    thought it was the outer mass that affects climbing the most. rotational mass at the extremity. so tyre/ rim weight. that's possibly another reason why pro's use tubs. the rims weigh less (no lip required for anchoring a clincher), and the tub will weigh less than an equivalent clincher/tube (theoretically). they also offer better feedback, and ride better but don't absolutely roll better. also less chance of a pinch puncture.
  • rick_chasey
    philbar72 wrote:
    thought it was the outer mass that affects climbing the most. rotational mass at the extremity. so tyre/ rim weight. that's possibly another reason why pro's use tubs. the rims weigh less (no lip required for anchoring a clincher), and the tub will weigh less than an equivalent clincher/tube (theoretically). they also offer better feedback, and ride better but don't absolutely roll better. also less chance of a pinch puncture.

I thought the main reason for tubs in the pro-peloton was you can ride on a deflating tub for a lot longer than on clinchers.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Tubs not coming off the rim is the main reason yes, and weight at the hub is rarely noticed unless they’re real anchors. Inertia is far less at the rim.

Same principal as motorbike riders wanting less unsprung weight at the rims for less effort flicking a bike side to side.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Paul 8v

#3.

I love seeing all the little hacks these guys come up with
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    FdJ at last (bonus what is Arthur looking at :) )

DU2ziPyWsAAKRyv.jpg

Feels like a cofidis kit from the Millar days
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065

Functionally better, given the current Dura Ace cassette's habit of snapping their plastic spiders.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Paul 8v wrote:

#3.

Well, tbh none of those are really rocket science and most people who tinker with bicycles on a regular basis will have been using them for years without reading those types of articles.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Paul 8v wrote:

#3.

Well, tbh none of those are really rocket science and most people who tinker with bicycles on a regular basis will have been using them for years without reading those types of articles.
    You've got a power drill to tighten your thru-axles?
  • Timoid. wrote:
    FdJ at last (bonus what is Arthur looking at :) )

DU2ziPyWsAAKRyv.jpg

Feels like a cofidis kit from the Millar days
    they look like naughty schoolboys waiting outside the headmasters office. Lucky they've got padded shorts...
  • Paul 8v
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

#3.

You've got a power drill to tighten your thru-axles?

And presumably a shelving unit made out of bike boxes :lol:
  • inseine
    Seems like the Pope favors quite an aggressive saddle to bars drop.
    Pope_Francisco_Specialized_Venge_.jpg
  • salsiccia1
    They must really dislike him to give him that.
  • gweeds
    God that's one ugly bike.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Is it me or does it remind anyone of the Shimano Sante?

623CE144-CA2B-404A-883A-C1DB15CC16A0.jpeg
    ShimSt4L.jpg
    CP105_Shimano_Sante_Vintage_Brake_Calipers.jpg?v=1439806972

Can't find an image of that matching cream frameset.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • gweeds
    Haven’t seen Sante for a very long time!
  • inseine
    Its Apex, cheapo groupset for the Pope.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    It's the same colour of soap. There's a joke in there somewhere.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    inseine wrote:
    Seems like the Pope favors quite an aggressive saddle to bars drop.
    Pope_Francisco_Specialized_Venge_.jpg

Disgusting.

It's a really ugly bike anyway, that just looks hideous.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    thought it was the outer mass that affects climbing the most. rotational mass at the extremity.

The moment of inertia of a disc is I = mr^2, where m is mass and r is the radius of the disc. You can effectively add these up for various masses on the wheel, so the cassette would have something like a 40mm radius, which is then squared and the rim/tyre something like 350mm which is then squared. You can see that the mass at the extreme radius is a LOT more important and as Rick says, nobody is going to notice the cassette.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    newton98 wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    thought it was the outer mass that affects climbing the most. rotational mass at the extremity.

The moment of inertia of a disc is I = mr^2, where m is mass and r is the radius of the disc. You can effectively add these up for various masses on the wheel, so the cassette would have something like a 40mm radius, which is then squared and the rim/tyre something like 350mm which is then squared. You can see that the mass at the extreme radius is a LOT more important and as Rick says, nobody is going to notice the cassette.

yep agreed.