National Champs 2017 *spoilers*

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited June 2017
    Look forward to watching the highlights later. Sounds like the U23 "race" was abit of a farce though. My guess is that lapped riders were given a DNF and pulled from the senior's race. With some of the U23 riders opting to enter the seniors race anyway only two "official" U23 riders finished.
  • The_Boy wrote:
    There's some sort of a hullabaloo on twattwers about the Brit u23 race. Anyone care to provide a précis?

wats up, Lawless winner obvs

Scott Davies 2nd, I think
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    So on the day of the road race we get highlights of the TT.

FFS.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,437
    Yeah raging been avoiding race info to watch and it's TT from midweek! But I need my attempts to find out where highlights are I now know result!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    RonB wrote:
    Look forward to watching the highlights later. Sounds like the U23 "race" was abit of a farce though. My guess is that lapped riders were given a DNF and pulled from the senior's race. With some of the U23 riders opting to enter the seniors race anyway only two "official" U23 riders finished.
    Looks like a lot of riders were classified as outside the time limit. So Connor Swift was technically 3rd but didn't seem to be on the podium and presumably didn't get to finish the race. I'd be a bit peeved.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    stato for yous all: this is the 1st time since Team Sky was launched that no Sky rider has made the podium

ARE THEY ALL FINISHED
    :P

yes
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    thegibdog wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    Looks like a lot of riders were classified as outside the time limit. So Connor Swift was technically 3rd but didn't seem to be on the podium and presumably didn't get to finish the race. I'd be a bit peeved.

That's a tough call, although perhaps he can console himself that he was only the 5th U23. I guess there are differing views on whether this should be an amateur race, with pros discounted. For me, if you want a medal you should earn it against all those in your age group.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Belgium: Naesen
    Germany: Burghardt
    Italy: Aru
    France: Demare
    Netherlands: Sinkeldam
    Spain: Herrada

That's all the main countries covered.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    lyn1 wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    That's a tough call, although perhaps he can console himself that he was only the 5th U23. I guess there are differing views on whether this should be an amateur race, with pros discounted. For me, if you want a medal you should earn it against all those in your age group.
    Fair enough, didn't appreciate there were 2 more 'u23s' ahead of him. Chosen whether to race as a u23 or senior has always seemed a bit weird to me. Wasn't there someone a while back who won but was racing as an u23? Is there a reason they don't just give the U23 medals to the top 3 who happen to be a u23?
  • rick_chasey
    DDLVJX8XoAEpPPf.jpg:large

Belgium.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

If you're living in the 80s
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    And everyone's favourite French bruiser has thrown his toys out of his pram for not winning. Apparently turned his back, and refused to congratulate Demarre
  • And everyone's favourite French bruiser has thrown his toys out of his pram for not winning. Apparently turned his back, and refused to congratulate Demarre

Bouhanni. A brat since forever.
  • Larry Warbasse won the US Mens RR

What a fantastic last few days for him
  • rick_chasey
    inseine wrote:

worldtour2015nations.jpg

Oz is already done right? In January.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Sep Vanmarcke was the rider narrowly beaten in 2nd
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    MY MAN does it again!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • MY MAN does it again!

who what when?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    inseine wrote:

worldtour2015nations.jpg

Oz is already done right? In January.
    I have no idea what these means...;)
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Was a beautiful win.

I am most looking forward to seeing Cummings at the tour (hopefully).
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    It'll follow the usual pattern of the WT riders smashing the field early to reduce it bigly. However I wouldnt assume that someone like Ian Bibby wont be able to hang with them. Bibs beat both lil Pete and Swifty in last year's Manx Int'l. He knows Snaefell Mountain, and is a very decent descender. Lawless could play his part also, tho didnt go brilliantly in the U23 TT this arvo
    Credit where it's due, that's some top punditry
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Oliver Naesen (AG2R) new Belgian champion
    That's a great result

Looking at YouTube, he rode the last couple of km brilliantly - in a lead group of 5, and he didn't hit the front at all until the final 10 metres.
  • mjclements
    mjclements Posts: 46
    Having just returned from driving one of the team cars in the race, no time gaps were given to the remainder of the peloton which was the second group on the road during the Douglas laps which had a number of U23 riders riding for third place as two of the U23s in the front group were riding as seniors.
    At no time was this group told they were to be pulled or given a bell lap until the black flag came out and they were told their race was over and as they hadn't raced for the finish no bronze medal would be presented for the U23 race.
    With a number of teams spending a substantial amount of money to get their U23 riders to the race it is a poor show from British cycling that their organisers couldn't give time gaps to this group or realise one or two laps before that they would be pulled and give them a bell lap.
    Other than that issue the race was brilliantly organised over a fantastic course.
    Well done to the Manx government for allowng all roads to be completely closed for the event ensuring safety for the race.
  • rick_chasey
    Sunweb doing a Movistar and not letting Sinkeldam wear his Dutch champ colours.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    thought if you are a national champion then you have to wear them
  • rick_chasey
    sherer wrote:
    thought if you are a national champion then you have to wear them

20144568_234116_001_670.jpg
    in't the same as

bettiniphoto_0060883_1_full_600.jpg
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

Good to see it is catching on.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Kwiat.

DDZYtawXkAAz_T8.jpg
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    TheBigBean wrote:

No. I really like seeing the national champs jerseys. And not any of those half-arsed ones like Nibali's above, but proper ones.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

No. I really like seeing the national champs jerseys. And not any of those half-arsed ones like Nibali's above, but proper ones.
    But sponsors often don't. And they're the ones paying the rider's wages. Personally, I side with the wishes of the sponsor.
    Twitter: @RichN95