Election Predictions Please

Comments

• vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Strong and Stable Leadership..... oh hang on...

Well, you made your campaign all about you Theresa. Guess you've had your answer.
    I seem to be with Ugo here, you had your chance Theresa, you got it wrong & the "saboteurs" and "enemies of the people" have spoken. Now f!ck off.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Conservative overall majority.

Anything else would be at best a right mess and at worst a disaster.

QFT - a right fucking mess whichever side of the fence you sit on
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Lots of whinging on here from lefties when it's their party's policies that is the problem (This bit will be amusing :lol: )

Then there will be marches on the streets by the snowflakes when democracy does not produce the result they want and they want the result changed. Democracy to them is only valid when it matches their views.

Quick point. Democracy doesn't mean the losers shut up and go away.
    No, but they may get taunted a bit tomorrow.

my oh my perhaps you need to edit this post lol!!!

Fantastic result for Corbyn, Labour, May and the Tories have been called out for ignoring the 48%, the poorest in society,continuing with austerity whilst protecting the wealthy
    such a shame that the Scots have saved the day for these arrogant detached Tories who have fcuked us with brexit and division.

hopefully we ll have a more realistic brexit and seek a Norway/Swiss deal or even better forget the whole thing :shock:
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    mamba80 wrote:

hopefully we ll have a more realistic brexit and seek a Norway/Swiss deal or even better forget the whole thing :shock:

I admire your optimism Mamba. IMHO i think this will just mean we will struggle to get anything agreed
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    mamba80 wrote:

I admire your optimism Mamba. IMHO i think this will just mean we will struggle to get anything agreed

We were and are only going to get what the EU wants to give us. We have a chance to lose TM's red lines me the chuckle brothers which can only help.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    mamba80 wrote:

We were and are only going to get what the EU wants to give us. We have a chance to lose TM's red lines me the chuckle brothers which can only help.

There you go again. Talking down Britain :wink:

Not quite sure where this leads us, DUP are pro Brexit, but also pro single market and FOM.

Priti Patel was on last night repeatedly saying that we only had 11 days till negotiation starts, and that any result aside from a Tory majority was going to be dire.

WTF was Theresa doing calling an election that finished 11 days before the start of negotiations, moronic.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Jez mon wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

There you go again. Talking down Britain :wink:

Not quite sure where this leads us, DUP are pro Brexit, but also pro single market and FOM.

Priti Patel was on last night repeatedly saying that we only had 11 days till negotiation starts, and that any result aside from a Tory majority was going to be dire.

WTF was Theresa doing calling an election that finished 11 days before the start of negotiations, moronic.

What are you doing listening to Priti Patel silly boy?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Lots of whinging on here from lefties when it's their party's policies that is the problem (This bit will be amusing :lol: )

Then there will be marches on the streets by the snowflakes when democracy does not produce the result they want and they want the result changed. Democracy to them is only valid when it matches their views.
    Tomorrows excuses will be fun to hear :D

Which are your favourite excuses so far?

Still, a damning indictment of Labour that they couldn't manage to win this and depressing that it will be played up as a great victory for Corbyn even though he is the reason Labour were doing so badly in the first place.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    mamba80 wrote:

Not a chance. You really think the EU is going to close off such a large financial market? There will be negotiations, but to say EU has the final say in what they "wll give us" is completely wrong
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Isn't London the largest clearing centre for Euro transactions? With the reason for that being more than a part the fact London has all the auxiliary services built up around and needed by such a large financial centre. It doesn't make sense to destroy that and build it from near scratch in France or Germany. I doubt frau Merkel would allow France to get away with that.

May was never and will never be a leader. She's a bureaucrat best suited to the political poison chalice that is the home Secretary role. The longest serving HS for a very long time too.

Still she was better than the other options. Imagine even Ledsome looked better than Boris and Gove for a while. That really said a lot about the state of Tory leadership candidates.

Mind you, if you think Corbyn is any better. He's a stop gap until a less palatable candidate can have the odds stacked in his favour in the Labour leadership contest. Time for rigging the leadership vote with union help and that of the momentum group. PLP will get fcuked over so their power is limited. Then McC steps up or v worse.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic but I'm a disaffected voter with nobody worth voting for. We need leaders at this time and we've got nothing. Who in British political life can represent Britain with the talent of Merkel? The charisma of Macron?
  • surrey_commuter
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Not a chance. You really think the EU is going to close off such a large financial market? There will be negotiations, but to say EU has the final say in what they "wll give us" is completely wrong

how so? everything we want is theirs to give?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731
    Ah, so you take issue with me using 'snowflakes'

Revisit this and other political threads on here in 24 hours time and you'll see the snowflake mentality. They would not have that label if it did not apply!

Right-o.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683

Revisit this and other political threads on here in 24 hours time and you'll see the snowflake mentality. They would not have that label if it did not apply!

Right-o.
    :lol:
  • surrey_commuter
    Veronese68 wrote:

Right-o.
    :lol:

in fairness he has no idea what it means
  • weezyswiss
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

https://www.ft.com/content/f6cda050-20b ... 9?mhq5j=e1

as one example. EU exports to UK heavily so no they want form us as well. We are a massive market for them and as such they need a deal with us just as much as we need a deal with EU. At the end of the day all the talk is media blustering sound bites.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Fenix wrote:
    If the tories do get a majority after the non appearances of May and the blusterings of Boris then there's no hope for the country. May as well just ask Murdoch and Dacre who they want to run the country.

I should have put a bet on...
  • surrey_commuter
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

as one example. EU exports to UK heavily so no they want form us as well. We are a massive market for them and as such they need a deal with us just as much as we need a deal with EU. At the end of the day all the talk is media blustering sound bites.

our trade balance is roughly equal but there economy is five times the size of ours so our need is five times greater than theirs. You are also discounting the importance they place on the preservation of the EU.

If you think it is a negotiation of equals just ask yourself who has decided the parameters?

we are approaching it like a bunch of amateurs to the extent that they wonder whether we are even serious
  • weezyswiss
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

our trade balance is roughly equal but there economy is five times the size of ours so our need is five times greater than theirs. You are also discounting the importance they place on the preservation of the EU.

If you think it is a negotiation of equals just ask yourself who has decided the parameters?

we are approaching it like a bunch of amateurs to the extent that they wonder whether we are even serious

Disagree as they are 5 times as they also trade internally. But of a nation of 28 states we are a fifth? Sure, they'll throw that away.

Agreed there is the perception they need t put forward. However, negotiations are not that clear cut and as a trading partner we are massive for them as they are for us. So no I fundamentally disagree they hold the cards. Yes it appears out team are being muppets, but they also know they cannot simply let us leave without a deal as the likes of China (forget Trumpton for now) is the new block moving forward and China knows we are a big trading partner as well.
  • surrey_commuter
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Disagree as they are 5 times as they also trade internally. But of a nation of 28 states we are a fifth? Sure, they'll throw that away.

Agreed there is the perception they need t put forward. However, negotiations are not that clear cut and as a trading partner we are massive for them as they are for us. So no I fundamentally disagree they hold the cards. Yes it appears out team are being muppets, but they also know they cannot simply let us leave without a deal as the likes of China (forget Trumpton for now) is the new block moving forward and China knows we are a big trading partner as well.

But it is relative. They acct for just under half of our exports we will acct for roughly 10% of their exports. That does not make it a negotiation of equals.

The Chinese economy is much larger than ours (as is USA) so they will fark us over in a trade deal. e need to do deals with people big enough to matter but small enough to push around.

We may be the 5th largest economy in the world but as a % we are tiny so yes we can be pushed around and or ignored
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731
    If only there was a thread for this sort of discussion.
  • weezyswiss
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

But it is relative. They acct for just under half of our exports we will acct for roughly 10% of their exports. That does not make it a negotiation of equals.

The Chinese economy is much larger than ours (as is USA) so they will fark us over in a trade deal. e need to do deals with people big enough to matter but small enough to push around.

We may be the 5th largest economy in the world but as a % we are tiny so yes we can be pushed around and or ignored

5th largest in the world, but who cares, sure. So EU should concentrate other other 4 and screw the 5th over to spite themselves. OK
  • surrey_commuter
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

5th largest but less that 4% of world GDP

Graham is right - we should reconvene on Brexit thread
  • weezyswiss
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Indeed, different thread but comment was made here :) 4% (actually less), but still a massive market for trade. People should not simply roll over and give up thinking EU holds all the cards

http://www.economywatch.com/economic-st ... Total_PPP/

EU shrinks:

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-has-shru ... d-economy/

UK as a percentage of the EU with 28 member states is therefore a major loss to EU trade. That means UK has a negotiating position and we are not beholden to the EU. We both need each other, hence .......
  • WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Indeed, different thread but comment was made here :) 4% (actually less), but still a massive market for trade. People should not simply roll over and give up thinking EU holds all the cards

EU shrinks:

UK as a percentage of the EU with 28 member states is therefore a major loss to EU trade. That means UK has a negotiating position and we are not beholden to the EU. We both need each other, hence .......

I wouldn't waste any more time Weezy. SC is an economic terrorist where he only wants to see bad things happen to the UK and there can never be any good economically from Brexit
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

EU shrinks:

I wouldn't waste any more time Weezy. SC is an economic terrorist where he only wants to see bad things happen to the UK and there can never be any good economically from Brexit
    In 1962, Norway, the United Kingdom, Denmark and Ireland applied for membership in the European Economic Community (EEC). When France rebuffed Britain's application the following year, accession negotiations with Norway and the other countries were also suspended, because of strong economic ties between them. This happened again in 1967.[10]

Norway completed its negotiations for the terms to govern a Norwegian membership in the EEC on 22 January 1972. Following an overwhelming parliamentary majority in favour of joining the EEC in early 1972, the government decided to put the question to a popular referendum, scheduled for September 24 and 25.[11] The result was that 53.5% voted against membership and 46.5% for it.[10] The Norwegian Labour Party government led by Trygve Bratteli resigned over the outcome of the referendum, and a coalition government led by Lars Korvald took over.[12]

Norway entered into a trade agreement with the Community following the outcome of the referendum. That trade agreement remained in force until Norway joined the European Economic Area on 1 January 1994.[13]

On 28 November 1994, yet another referendum was held, narrowing the margin but yielding the same result: 52.2% opposed membership and 47.8% in favour, with a turn-out of 88.6%.[14] There are currently no plans to file another application./quIn 1962, Norway, the United Kingdom, Denmark and Ireland applied for membership in the European Economic Community (EEC). When France rebuffed Britain's application the following year, accession negotiations with Norway and the other countries were also suspended, because of strong economic ties between them. This happened again in 1967.[10]

Norway completed its negotiations for the terms to govern a Norwegian membership in the EEC on 22 January 1972. Following an overwhelming parliamentary majority in favour of joining the EEC in early 1972, the government decided to put the question to a popular referendum, scheduled for September 24 and 25.[11] The result was that 53.5% voted against membership and 46.5% for it.[10] The Norwegian Labour Party government led by Trygve Bratteli resigned over the outcome of the referendum, and a coalition government led by Lars Korvald took over.[12]

Norway entered into a trade agreement with the Community following the outcome of the referendum. That trade agreement remained in force until Norway joined the European Economic Area on 1 January 1994.[13]

On 28 November 1994, yet another referendum was held, narrowing the margin but yielding the same result: 52.2% opposed membership and 47.8% in favour, with a turn-out of 88.6%.[14] There are currently no plans to file another application.

The history of Norway and EU
  • surrey_commuter
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

EU shrinks:

Well Coopster you have failed to name a single expert who thinks that Brexit is a good idea economically (so I am in good company) so why don' t you name one thing good economically that will come out of Brexit in the next ten years.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188
    "Economic terrorist"? I call Godwin's law on this one. Get tae the Brexit thread ye bam.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,532
    Bahahaha. Badge of honour SC.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Ah Coopster playing the 'You're a traitor' card once again. It's been a while.
  • Ah, here come the lapdogs.

Do you lot wake up in the morning chanting 'Brexit must go badly'