Election Predictions Please

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Lots of whinging on here from lefties when it's their party's policies that is the problem (This bit will be amusing :lol: )

Then there will be marches on the streets by the snowflakes when democracy does not produce the result they want and they want the result changed. Democracy to them is only valid when it matches their views.

Quick point. Democracy doesn't mean the losers shut up and go away.
    No, but they may get taunted a bit tomorrow.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Lots of whinging on here from lefties when it's their party's policies that is the problem (This bit will be amusing :lol: )

Then there will be marches on the streets by the snowflakes when democracy does not produce the result they want and they want the result changed. Democracy to them is only valid when it matches their views.

I dont believe you ll do that, maybe Stevo of old would have but i sense in you a changed man, more at ease with himself and more tolerant of others views, you certainly dont want to live in a dictatorship, where the losing side have to shut up or go away to the Gulag.

anyhow, if the Tories dont get their large increase in seats, then its they who deserve to taunted for wasting time, resources and money when May should have been getting her ducks in row for Brexit :oops:
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    you certainly dont want to live in a dictatorship, where the losing side have to shut up or go away to the Gulag.
    That's why I didn't vote Labour :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I dont believe you ll do that, maybe Stevo of old would have but i sense in you a changed man, more at ease with himself and more tolerant of others views, you certainly dont want to live in a dictatorship, where the losing side have to shut up or go away to the Gulag.

anyhow, if the Tories dont get their large increase in seats, then its they who deserve to taunted for wasting time, resources and money when May should have been getting her ducks in row for Brexit :oops:

Have I led a sheltered life or is this tribalism over politics a common thing? I have never known anybody (other than Coopster and I see him as special) administer a taunting over an election result.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    Stevo 666 wrote:

If anything, Labour deserve to be taunted for agreeing to this election. Unless something unexpected happens.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Well they're not going to win where I live anyway - It'll be held by labour and I suspect the surrounding seats too. There's almost no blue posters out. Nobodys is keen on the Tories and she's not shown her face around here. I hope that would be repeated in the rest of the country - but after brexit - who knows.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    If anything, Labour deserve to be taunted for agreeing to this election. Unless something unexpected happens

This. It required cross party agreement to call this election, it can't be done on the whim of the Prime Minister. Labour and SNP should have stopped it.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    They are all a bunch of dimwits. We are doomed whomever wins ... DOOOOOMED .... well mildly screwed over, this is Britain after all .. land of mediocrity :D
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675

You say this like an American Trump supporter.

Do you also prescribe to "alternative facts" when it's highly inconvenient for you to believe them? You should move here, you'd be right at home.

Also, the righties getting all butt hurt in the US election being called a "basket of deplorables" but then running around saying "libtard" and "snowflakes".

I forgot, the right usually likes to pander to a more juvenile discourse for getting votes. "Throw her in jail!" "Libtards!" "Snowflakes" "Build a Wall!!!".

I bet 75% of righties had to Google what a "deplorable" even is, or let Fox news do that for them then spin it.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    mrfpb wrote:
    If anything, Labour deserve to be taunted for agreeing to this election. Unless something unexpected happens

This. It required cross party agreement to call this election, it can't be done on the whim of the Prime Minister. Labour and SNP should have stopped it.

Is this a serious comment? what do you think the tories and media would have done to Corbyn if Labour had 'nt supported the GE ?
  • Lots of whinging on here from lefties when it's their party's policies that is the problem (This bit will be amusing :lol: )

You say this like an American Trump supporter.

I'm a supporter of democracy. The biggest view I have on your presidential election is that if they were the best two choices to lead the country you get what you deserve.

I'll ignore the rest of your comments as they don't apply as our left and right are different to yours. Stick with your system and I'll stick with ours.
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675
    I'm a supporter of democracy. The biggest view I have on your presidential election is that if they were the best two choices to lead the country you get what you deserve.

I'll ignore the rest of your comments as they don't apply as our left and right are different to yours. Stick with your system and I'll stick with ours.

But of course, the systems are different. The location of "left" and "right" are different on the spectrum for the two countries. For sure.

The style of rhetoric is similar though. Throwing around "snowflakes"? You did say that, it's in the quote up there. That phrase got renewed traction during our election months ago.

The left uses an opinionated but socially normal method for recognizing that Trump was riding a wave of nationalism bolstered by known hate groups of which most conservatives or liberals WOULD deem deplorable (the KKK, etc.).

The right responded in kind, with a typical modern conservative ploy: cater to the inner child by belittling the other side with a schoolyard retort "snowflakes" and "libtards".

Doesn't matter the side of the ocean or the poli-centricity of left or right on either side. For some reason, in both places, the right loves that kind kind of rhetoric.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Only an hour left to put your penis on the ballot paper...

On a slightly more serious note, I'm glad there doesn't seem to have been any reports of violence today
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I'm a supporter of democracy. The biggest view I have on your presidential election is that if they were the best two choices to lead the country you get what you deserve.

But of course, the systems are different. The location of "left" and "right" are different on the spectrum for the two countries. For sure.

The style of rhetoric is similar though. Throwing around "snowflakes"? You did say that, it's in the quote up there. That phrase got renewed traction during our election months ago.

The left uses an opinionated but socially normal method for recognizing that Trump was riding a wave of nationalism bolstered by known hate groups of which most conservatives or liberals WOULD deem deplorable (the KKK, etc.).

The right responded in kind, with a typical modern conservative ploy: cater to the inner child by belittling the other side with a schoolyard retort "snowflakes" and "libtards".

Doesn't matter the side of the ocean or the poli-centricity of left or right on either side. For some reason, in both places, the right loves that kind kind of rhetoric.

Ah, so you take issue with me using 'snowflakes'

Revisit this and other political threads on here in 24 hours time and you'll see the snowflake mentality. They would not have that label if it did not apply!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Long conversation today with a long standing hard core Con voter in her 70s. Upshot, agreement that if these are the best on offer we are all pretty well F-ed. She is resigned to voting for the (in her view) least worst option. Hardly the ringing endorsement of the Maybot I'd expected to hear.

Depressing innit. If we didn't have family commitments at both ends of the age spectrum to consider, we'd be getting v close to saying F it to this increasingly small minded, closed, pander to the lowest common denominator, wet cold island and moving to Europe while we still can. And the cycle routes are better.

And just for full disclosure, I ain't no snowflake.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    She is resigned to voting for the (in her view) least worst option. Hardly the ringing endorsement of the Maybot I'd expected to hear.
    Fair point really, as the other options are completely sh1t.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    mrfpb wrote:

There would have still have been an election if they had opposed it. There was another mechanism involving a vote of no confidence which would have forced it without non-Tory consent.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    I've been watching a large wood pigeon feeding in our garden for the last few weeks. We can assume she has chicks (all sorts of biological and environmental reasons- she is, trust me). She is not fazed by my stepping out to the garden to have a fag, stretch or whatever. She pecks away at seeds all day long to feed those babies. I don't imagine her goals in life stretch much further than flying down from the nest about 200 yards away and peck peck peck, and feed those chicks.

Last year we had a duck who took a fancy to a half barrel (garden planter!) and successfully formed a nest and produced a brood(?) of ducklings. This with the danger of owls, magpies, foxes, even me.

Resolute, stoic, determined, driven, focussed. Without complaining. With no expectation of help.

Point? Possibly we humans have a few things to (re)learn. Dunno.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Oh, exit poll. Not the resounding majority TM might have hoped for. Going to bed. Sleep well people.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671

Revisit this and other political threads on here in 24 hours time and you'll see the snowflake mentality. They would not have that label if it did not apply!

Hmmm, exit poll not looking good for you, is it? Lots of Conservatives saying it can't be true, but then the LibDems thought that last time. Let's see.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:

Hmmm, exit poll not looking good for you, is it? Lots of Conservatives saying it can't be true, but then the LibDems thought that last time. Let's see.

Without wanting to sound like your wife but 'that was awfully premature'...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    rjsterry wrote:

Without wanting to sound like your wife but 'that was awfully premature'...
    I only said the exit poll doesn't look good. Labour candidates think it can't be true as well. Who knows?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    joe2008 wrote:
    Corbyn to trump Trump and Brexit

:D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Well, we went a long way since that slogan on Facebook in April "Make June the end of May"... who would have thought that would actually happen?

Look forward to hear her speech!
    left the forum March 2023
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Reading the thread this morning I can't help but chuckle. That didn't quite go how the conservatives were hoping did it?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    TimothyW wrote:
    Reading the thread this morning I can't help but chuckle. That didn't quite go how the conservatives were hoping did it?

I think the take home message is that a campaign based on fear no longer works... it didn't work for the referendum and it didn't work for May... she should have known better, but I fear she had nothing positive to bring to the table, she is indeed a very negative person who likes to be pictured as such

Fcuk her!
    left the forum March 2023
  • orraloon
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Tomorrows excuses will be fun to hear :D
    What this country needs now is a period of stability...

So next GE before the end of the year or Q1 2018?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    orraloon wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Tomorrows excuses will be fun to hear :D
    What this country needs now is a period of stability...

So next GE before the end of the year or Q1 2018?
    Is that bloody difficult woman still hanging around?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Borris for PM !!!!!
  • orraloon
    fat daddy wrote:
    Borris for PM !!!!!
    Oh yes. Can just imagine de Pfeffel's piggy little eyes glinting this morning. Why not a Bojo PM? Just to complete the full set of collective f-wittery. End of days, let the games begin.