Election Predictions Please

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Conservative overall majority.

That and Anything else would be at best a right mess and at worst a disaster.

FTFY

You have to admire his faith though. I mean, there's nowt wrong with being a Tory (sort of) but actually believing that May and her Govt won't be a right mess and possible disaster is endearingly naïve! If he was an American Republican, he'd probably be firmly behind Trumpy.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,327
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Unfortunately a Tory majority, more years of pain for the working family, more years of gluttony for the rich.

Agreed. A majority where they can steamroller through any policy they want without the balance of opposition. 5 years of hurt for the average family. Kiss goodbye to being able to leave your kids any cash to help them on their way with a house.
    Once again I agree with Goo, I suspect that will be the biggest shock of this election? :wink:
    Tory majority, not as big as they expected when they called the election.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

FTFY

You have to admire his faith though. I mean, there's nowt wrong with being a Tory (sort of) but actually believing that May and her Govt won't be a right mess and possible disaster is endearingly naïve! If he was an American Republican, he'd probably be firmly behind Trumpy.

:D

It would be nice to be wrong about it being fubar'd whoever wins tho. Having a happy country sounds much more fun than this depressed one.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Con - 349
    Lab - 222
    Lib Dem - 6
    SNP - 52

Tory majority in the region of 50
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I'm not depressed. Tory or Labour get in I don't think it'll end up making a difference. They're both pretty poor so you'll just have to live with the sh1t we end up in with either party in.government.

BTW I read/saw on tv/heard on radio somewhere the only party who's manifesto is likely to have a significant impact on improving the lot of the worst off is LibDems. Source IFS.

Tory majority of approximately 48 seats. May to not last a year.

Corbyn to last until the party conference when the.unions (unite) will change the leadership rules to favour far left candidates. Then shortly after Corbyn steps down and his chancellor steps up.

Alternatively Coyle wins his bid to get the unite leadership quashed, Len Mc doesn't win re-election and above fails to materialize. Sorry I'm a dreamer I know. Unite is Len Mc's plaything until he gets bored. They'll probably vote on making him supreme leader for life before they wise up and ditch the crook.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,266
    Big Harv wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    A colleague reportedly managed to get odds of 20/1 on Theresa May still being PM. :?

20/1 'on'?

Yup, Ladbrokes. In the London newspapers too. Go figure...

Me, prediction is I'll wake up Friday and it may or may not rain.

It's for new customers only, it is to lure them in online betting... they cannot take the money they win, but only bet it again... it's basically a con...
    left the forum March 2023
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    The less Conservative seats the better. Locally, I'd love to see Plaid Cymru take my Rhondda seat from Welsh Labour.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If the tories do get a majority after the non appearances of May and the blusterings of Boris then there's no hope for the country. May as well just ask Murdoch and Dacre who they want to run the country.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    what do we think will happen tomorrow?

People will go and make a mark on a piece of paper in a futile attempt to feel like they can influence things that they don't fully understand.

Nothing will change.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Unfortunately a Tory majority, more years of pain for the working family, more years of gluttony for the rich.

Agreed. A majority where they can steamroller through any policy they want without the balance of opposition. 5 years of hurt for the average family. Kiss goodbye to being able to leave your kids any cash to help them on their way with a house.

I honestly don't get why you and other Brexiteers suddenly care so much about the economy.

I think the Tories will clean up in their target seats and get an 80 seat majority
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    Mr Goo wrote:

If you want to give them money when they can use it for their first home, I don't think there's any danger to that. If you want to wait until you have had dementia and your kids are in their sixties, you might be in trouble. Then again, if they're still living at home, you've all failed.

My prediction. Con majority of about what they had before.

Corbyn not to resign whatever happens.

Farron to lose his seat.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Tory win, just not as big as they first expected. Hopeful for Lib Dems to win back the seat here reducing the Tory maj. by 1 at least!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    Mr Goo wrote:

I honestly don't get why you and other Brexiteers suddenly care so much about the economy.

20 year horizon is what the Civil Service has been told to focus on (seriously...).
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,524
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

FTFY

The most likely alternative is Corbyn. I don't think even you want that.

I suppose the Lib Dems are holding out a faint hope that they might get a say in a hung parliament. Dream on...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Lib Dems arn't hoping for much other than a better replacement for Farron, who's been pretty sh!t this campaign.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

FTFY
    So what are you hoping for?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    Mr Goo wrote:

20 year horizon is what the Civil Service has been told to focus on (seriously...).

does that mean they expect it to take 20 years or they are making decisions based on what will happen for the next 20 years?
  • rick_chasey
    Mr Goo wrote:

does that mean they expect it to take 20 years or they are making decisions based on what will happen for the next 20 years?

Their aim is, in 20 years, to have the economy back up to full strength.

At least, that's how my friend interpreted it.

Seen the other way, they are anticipating 20 years of Brexit induced pain/scarring.
  • Stevo_666
    Lib Dems arn't hoping for much other than a better replacement for Farron, who's been pretty sh!t this campaign.
    I guess you should have nearly ten candidates to choose from after today :wink:
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I'm hoping someone finds a magic money tree and.shares it's fruits with me. Then I can say "stuff you" to whoever gets in and retire. To another country if this one gets too messed up.

In the absence of that I'll possibly suffer least under the party that was wise enough to be sufficiently vague in their election pledges to not be tied to one direction should brexit require a change.In.direction for the UK. I think any party gets judged by how many election promises are kept/broken. I think Corbyn gave too much away.

Of course.that's nothing to do with predicting the result.
  • surrey_commuter
    Mr Goo wrote:

Their aim is, in 20 years, to have the economy back up to full strength.

At least, that's how my friend interpreted it.

Seen the other way, they are anticipating 20 years of Brexit induced pain/scarring.

That is what the Leave campaign called short-term pain
  • Lots of whinging on here from lefties when it's their party's policies that is the problem (This bit will be amusing :lol: )

Then there will be marches on the streets by the snowflakes when democracy does not produce the result they want and they want the result changed. Democracy to them is only valid when it matches their views.
  • Stevo_666
    Lots of whinging on here from lefties when it's their party's policies that is the problem (This bit will be amusing :lol: )

Then there will be marches on the streets by the snowflakes when democracy does not produce the result they want and they want the result changed. Democracy to them is only valid when it matches their views.
    Tomorrows excuses will be fun to hear :D
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    So what are you hoping for?

I'm hoping someone has an answer to the problems we're facing - I don't really care who, although I am a big fan of not screwing people or nature over. No-one looks like they can achieve any of that, hence my pessimism, but as I said I'd like whoever wins to prove me wrong.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    Lots of whinging on here from lefties when it's their party's policies that is the problem (This bit will be amusing :lol: )

Quick point. Democracy doesn't mean the losers shut up and go away. See the Leave the EU campaign over the past 25 years for an example of that in action.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    RichN95 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    A colleague reportedly managed to get odds of 20/1 on Theresa May still being PM. :?

It's 1/20 (20/1 on) - put £20 on to win £1 - it's a poor price, she's readily available at 1/14 on many books.
    No, it's 20/1.

It's an offer for new registrations - only a £1 bet allowed. And only winnings at the regular price (6/1 on) is collectable as cash, the rest is paid in free bets. It's an eyecatching headline, but not a normal bet.

Yes, it's nothing more than any other promotion offering £20 in free bets for new registrations that happen all the time.

The psychology of the bet, trying to make people feel like they did something clever is actually quite well thought out, hence the surprise being mentioned.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,581
    Conservatives to win but with a majority of just + or - 5 on their current level making whole thing a waste of time. Turnout to be lower than in 2015 with Labour failing to get a substantial increase in young voter turnout that their recent polling resurgence seems dependent on.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Ummmmm, labour
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    A tory win that disappoints the tory party. (eg 10-20 majority)

May will add "A Win is a Win" to her book of redundant catchphrases -eg "Brexit means Brexit", "Enough is Enough" to defend her leadership.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    A Tory win, with them losing 1 or 2 seats back to Lib Dems. SNP maybe losing some seats to Labour.

May will ignore any issues around the fact that it's been a pointless waste of time, not even adding A Win is a Win to her list of meaningless platitudes.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live