Giro 2017: Stage 21: Monza – Milano 29.3 km ITT

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    One mechanical and game over.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    inseine wrote:
    If Quintana ends up without even a podium position the Giro / Tour double is going to look unwise. He must have known that with all these TT kms it wasn't the right Giro for him.

It's unwise full stop in my opinion, unless you already have multiple Tour and Giro wins and want to go for one last hurrah.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    So tom will be about 20mins into his ride before he will get any times on quintana. Not ideal but I presume he will be going full gas anyway. But I'm sure he would like to know if he could ease up a bit on the corners...
    Half man, Half bike
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Milton50 wrote:
    If someone were to tell me that Quintana will not be on the podium by the end of today I wouldn't be that surprised.

I think he's more likely to miss the podium than actually win it, he basically needs to produce his best TT ever and the others very poor ones for them not to overhaul him. I reckon he'll end up 3rd behind big Tom and Nibali.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Sunny forecast, low wind and reaching the 30s. I guess it's TDs to lose given his TT prowess.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    If someone were to tell me that Quintana will not be on the podium by the end of today I wouldn't be that surprised.

I think he's more likely to miss the podium than actually win it, he basically needs to produce his best TT ever and the others very poor ones for them not to overhaul him. I reckon he'll end up 3rd behind big Tom and Nibali.

I reckon Pinot will beat Nibali and possibly Quintana. So many possibilities
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    My e/w on Peanut looking pretty good.

He's been really good the last week, certainly the most aggressive GT rider.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    normal lap of Monza I take it, though I guess theyve demolished most of the historic banking , but that would have been cool for an ITT
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    The oval track is still there albeit mainly gathering dust. Looks like it's visible in the route map too.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I realize no one has ever come from 4th to grab the overall on the last day but Dumoulin seems odds on to bag this, accidents aside. Is there any real evidence of this third week TT upset phenomena?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,648
    Inrng mentions Quintana beat Sylvain Chavanel to win this time trial last year

Stage-1462893955.jpg
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    By a few seconds on a technical course at the Route du Sud, if I recall correctly. The climbing matters, too. Not much of a predictor of today’s TT, I think.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    I keep getting recurring thoughts about Jan Ullrich having a shocker of a tt with crashes, mechanical and rain. 2003?

Please don't let that happen to Tom!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    To those who think the TT will be close... I would agree if it was ondulated... but this is flat and technical (90 degree corners) it is about pure power and technique on the TT bike... Dumoulin has much more power and is better at handling the bike... he will reach 60 km/h on some stretches. I think Quintana and Pinot will be 2 minutes behind, Nibali maybe 1.30...
    left the forum March 2023
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pross wrote:
    One of those cars is going the wrong way.

Probably a cyclist driving they always go the wrong way down a one way street.

I was going to make a joke about it being a Dutch cyclist because that is totally allowed here, but I thought too much explanation and the joke is lost.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I've never been so excited for a TT

Me neither.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RonB wrote:
    One of those cars is going the wrong way.

Not unheard of in Italy.
    Almost as if Quintana was in the driving seat.

Tis a Ferrari. In Italy. Therefore it is all the other cars that are going the wrong way

If we had a post of the Giro thread, this would win. :lol:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Headwind of 8–10 km/h currently reported. Likely to decline later in the afternoon.
  • inseine
    To those who think the TT will be close... I would agree if it was ondulated... but this is flat and technical (90 degree corners) it is about pure power and technique on the TT bike... Dumoulin has much more power and is better at handling the bike... he will reach 60 km/h on some stretches. I think Quintana and Pinot will be 2 minutes behind, Nibali maybe 1.30...
    Agreed, though I hope (more than think) Pinot will be closer to Nibs
  • Tom D running a 58 up front apparently

https://twitter.com/bobbietraksel/statu ... 1522778113
  • inseine
    Didn't realize Bialoblocki was riding. 34.12 will take some beating I would have thought, he's a good tester.
  • inseine
    Tom D running a 58 up front apparently

58x11@100rpm is 66.8kph
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373

Nibali 55*11 (info Merida )
    Quintana 56* (info Canyon)
    Tom 58*11 (team Sunweb)
    #filghtforpink
    Cheers.
  • MozBiker
    MozBiker Posts: 77
    This is a perfect course for TD. Quintana stands a good chance to slip off the podium. He is going to have to pull off the TT of his life. Less than a minute for top 4. It is going to be very close. One slip or over cooked turn is going to spell disaster.

My money is on Domoulin to do between 1:45 minutes and 2:15 minutes faster than Quintana. Quintana is gonna have to give 120% to fight the others off.
  • inseine
    They're already smashing the times forecast my training peaks, unless there's a tailwind and we've already seen podium times posted.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Congratulations to Adam Hansen on finishing his 17th GT in a row. With a hairline fracture in his palm. Monster.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    inseine wrote:

58x11@100rpm is 66.8kph
    It's not necessarily about the largest gear. It's about keeping your most used gear higher up the block and minimizing chainline angle and reducing frictional losses accrued with the smallest cogs.
  • MozBiker
    Top 5 so far:

1 Jos van Emden (LottoNL-Jumbo) 33:08 53.058 kmph

2. Manuel Quinzato (BMC) +0.27 52.347 kmph

3 Vasil Kiryienka (Sky) +0.31 52.243 kmph

4 Jan Barta (Bora-hansgrohe) +0:39 52.037 kmph

5 Jan Tratnik (CCC) +0:57 51.579 kmph
  • MozBiker
    And Joey Rosskopf rides his way to the provisional 4th place with a time of 33:42
    Average speed: 52.166 kmph
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Seems somewhat disappointing from Kiryienka.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    5 mins to Jungels start and we get down to business