Dream Garage

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yep - I feel like I'm the guy that didn't sign the Beatles or JK Rowling by passing up the chance to buy both a Porsche 356 Roadster and a Dino 246 "before they were famous". Truth is on both occasions I was talked out of it by experts. Never mind, the Giulia is doing OK.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Yep - I feel like I'm the guy that didn't sign the Beatles or JK Rowling by passing up the chance to buy both a Porsche 356 Roadster and a Dino 246 "before they were famous". Truth is on both occasions I was talked out of it by experts. Never mind, the Giulia is doing OK.

If I had been in the position to buy a 356 I would,no matter what an expert said,after all it's what you want,to me they are a bit like a Karmann Ghia,no matter where what angle you look at them they are simply stunning
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,869

Chap I know passed on the chance to buy a 250 gto, he got an gt40 instead, but sold it before they went mega bucks
  • meanredspider

If I had been in the position to buy a 356 I would,no matter what an expert said,after all it's what you want,to me they are a bit like a Karmann Ghia,no matter where what angle you look at them they are simply stunning

I think the same about both cars. Truth is that, at the time, they'd have been a real stretch money-wise - then someone who should know tells you that they'd be a silly purchase and it pushes you to not do it. Both cars were unloved at the time (Porsche just a Beetle in drag and the Dino not a proper Ferrari). I'd have felt worse had I owned one and sold it. Fortunately I only paid £2k for my 1969 step-front Giulia GTJ
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I've a hankering, and I don't really know why, for the black Porsche out of Bad Boys.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,345
    I really love the shape of the 80's Porsche Carrera Turbo.
    Not sure that without access to a track it would be that much fun. You would have to learn how to handle the thing.
    I just wonder how similar the RUF is on GT4 (Play station), it's great fun.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Never really liked 911's when i was younger but the early ones up to the early nineties I have started to like alot,but now they are really out of my price range even for a ropy one,I saw this beauty a few years ago whist touring round the French Alps,I got talking to the owner in a cafe,didn't waste my time asking him if he wanted to swap for my motorbike
    7685623448_9ff6e8c08b_k.jpg
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Garry H wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    So I would have to live in Trieste.
    The dream garage would have to be in the right place. Lake Garda would be good for the boat and a few more.
    Does it have to be just the one garage? Multiple locations would be good.
    And one of these to travel between said garages/boat sheds/hangars

maxresdefault.jpg

I worry about you.... :D

(Reminds me of that Geordie on Alan Partridge... if you know the scene)

Worth a watch https://youtu.be/fzVD5zYLK1k

I thought everybody knew a "Dave, that used to be in the SAS" :?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Oh and here's my boat

gunboats-2-470-0309.jpg
  • meanredspider
    Garry H wrote:

I don't - but a mate from school is (was?) captain of HMS Victory - miserable sod wouldn't arrange a school reunion on board.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Garry H wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    The dream garage would have to be in the right place. Lake Garda would be good for the boat and a few more.

maxresdefault.jpg

Is that Dave who was second man on the balconey?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Garry H wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

maxresdefault.jpg

Is that Dave who was second man on the balconey?

He also trained Azi Ahmed I believe.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Garry H wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

maxresdefault.jpg

I used to play golf with a Tony who was an ex SAS officer.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Matthewfalle
    I have an occasional pint with a man who is an RLC chef - recognised as the hardest course in the British military forces.

So ya boo sucks to you and Tony the Golfer.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    I knew a man who slapped some RLC Cheif with a Daffodil so there.
  • Matthewfalle
    I know and RLC chef who grows daffodils. So double ya boo sucks to you and Golfing Trevor or whatever his name is.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    His name was Tarquin so go dip your nuts in Hydrochloric acid.
  • I'd like a garage
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Few cars on the list, including maybe an S8 limo or XJ, but the first pick would be one of these in mint condition if I could find one...

01-senner-tuning-bmw-z8.jpg

And one of these just to look at..
    2016-MV-Agusta-F3-675-RC-static-black-15.jpg

Boats? Meh..

And a load of bikes, starting with..
    Baum Corretto Ti and/or Holland Exogrid Jet Ti
    7e2b8c7913234df2bcb8560f5cc19fa3.jpg
    exojet1.jpg

Open UPPER for intermediate stuff
    Cannondale FS Scalpel Hi Mod or similar... something full sus and XC biased.
    A trials bike
    A pub bike
    A trainer bike
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Is this wrong?

A classic sports car - DB5 or e-Type BUT with modern mechanics under the skin. So modern brakes, suspension, engine etc. Looks old world but drives new world and no need to get oily hands.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    @ Wheelspinner. I like your taste. I reckon I could find room in my garage for an MV in that colourscheme. I'd also like a Bimota v Due but only if someone had sorted the piece of cr@p engine or shoehorned something else in there that actually worked and could do the rest of that beautiful bike justice.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Shortfall wrote:
    @ Wheelspinner. I like your taste. I reckon I could find room in my garage for an MV in that colourscheme. I'd also like a Bimota v Due but only if someone had sorted the piece of cr@p engine or shoehorned something else in there that actually worked and could do the rest of that beautiful bike justice.

Last time I saw a V-due it was bouncing down Mallory as its owner had failed to make the left at the end of Stebbe straight. I dread to think of the repair bill, not going to be any plastics on e-bay.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Sticking entirely to motorised vehicles, because this post could go seriously awry if I didn't:

Ariel Atom - the 3.5l one, purely for shits and giggles. It has little to no practicality, and a full set of waterproofs is basically required. The fun though.

BMW X5 - driven a couple and a relative has been through few, for me they're the best compromise between a mile muncher and daily useable ride, you know, school runs/shopping etc.

Land Rover Defender 110 - versatility for kipping in the back and a go anywhere attitude.

A Milwaukee Thudder (Harley Davidson to you and me). Dunno which one, but I'd have fun trying them all out.

Lambretta L1 150 (Series 2)

No need for a 'fast' bike - if the Atom can't et you off, you're doing it wrong.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Matthewfalle
    YOU ARE ALL WRONG AND ALL YOUR CARS ARE WORTHLESS JUNK PIECES OF JUNK THAT SHOULD BE HIT WITH HAMMERS AND SET FIRE TO WITH FIRE THAT IS ON FIRE.

YOU LOT KNOW NOTHING.

1972-76 Mercedes 220 D "La Pick Up"

The coolest thing in the world ever.

Me a TDNFNATN are getting one.

http://www.mercedes-fans.de/thumbs/lib/ ... /71858.jpg

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    911 carrera s for fun
    Beemer 5 series estate for stuff...or mebbe one of those VW t5 van with windows

Colnago Master, Campag, handbuilt wheels, since Chas Roberts has jacked it in before i won the lottery
    Colnago C60, Campag, natch
    Some sort of nice winter bike, discs, whatever
    A 'cross bike of some sort

Edit: and a nice 16v Golf GTI mk2, big bumper with PAS. Hopefully more reliable than the POS one i owned, but which was a joy when it worked​

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Herb71 wrote:

TDNFNATN

Who is this? I am obviously missing an in joke!

Lots of Motorbikers here! Good to know. I don't trust people who don't have an affinity for motorbikes.

It's Nina off Nina and the Neurons, CBeebies. Scottish, cute, female. There's quite a fan club on here.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Matthewfalle
    SecretSam wrote:
    Herb71 wrote:

TDNFNATN

Who is this? I am obviously missing an in joke!

Lots of Motorbikers here! Good to know. I don't trust people who don't have an affinity for motorbikes.

It's Nina off Nina and the Neurons, CBeebies. Scottish, cute, female. There's quite a fan club on here.

AKA the Goddess of the lab coat.

Me, Nina and our Merc pick up. We wouldn't rule the world but we would be the happiest and coolest people in the world.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imagine the Merc pick up with a 50 cal on the back. Rockin'.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Is this wrong?

A classic sports car - DB5 or e-Type BUT with modern mechanics under the skin. So modern brakes, suspension, engine etc. Looks old world but drives new world and no need to get oily hands.

That would be an Eagle Speedster then:-

http://www.eaglegb.com/9/eagle-speedster
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Apparently Bimota released a sorted version of the VDue that binned the fuel injection and used good old carbs. It turned the bike from an underpowered stuttering piece of cr@p into the bike it should have been, namely a light and powerful giant killer with amazing handling, Italian panache and sublime handling. Sadly it was too late to halt the bankruptcy of the company. Anyway, the VDue Evolozione now goes into my dream garage.