Froome run off the road

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    My mother-in-law reads it. She's mental. She also thinks that Poland is empty and Sharia Law is being enforced in England.

I don't know what that says about me...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Are you taking things a bit too seriously TM?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Car driver SNAPS after road rage threat from immigrant 'cyclist'

Harassed commuter gains revenge after provocation from African tax exile

Gurgaon-traffic-jam-PTI.jpg
    Pictures from the scene today - frustrated drivers held up by the cyclist

If I may add some colour.

Harassed commuter gains revenge after provocation from African tax exile
    Chris Froome unhurt near his £4 million home

Gurgaon-traffic-jam-PTI.jpg
    Pictures from the scene today - frustrated drivers held up by the cyclist
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    All that's old school. Surely now it's...

You won't believe what Chris Froome's bike looks like now!
  • rick_chasey
    BTW do you actually know any daily mail readers? If you do does that say anything about your standing in society, education or intelligence of your friends / associates?

I work with a bunch.

What does that say about my standing in society Tangled? Curious to know.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    BTW do you actually know any daily mail readers? If you do does that say anything about your standing in society, education or intelligence of your friends / associates?

I work with a bunch.

ditto

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    ddraver wrote:
    Are you taking things a bit too seriously TM?
    No.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    My boss reads it. We don't talk about politics in the office.
  • IMMIGRANT CRASH PRONE CYCLIST LINKED TO DIANA DEATH

Well, they were both on French roads
  • tangled_metal
    edited May 2017

I work with a bunch.

I don't know that's why I asked the question..

My question is really about whether anyone has come across any research only readership of common newspapers. Superficially you could say mail readers were likely to be reactionary, right wing, anti-immigration because tyre paper comes across with that image. Also, you often get people with the same outlook on life getting on better than those completely different.

I think it's interesting some of the other comments responding to my question. The one about not discussing politics with their mail reading boss, relative who reads it and IIRC was described as batty. I wonder how many people who associate with mail readers but don't agree or even like the contents of the daily mail actually discuss politics with them any more? Just my curiosity, I'll not ask questions anymore.
  • rick_chasey
    That'd be a fair reflection.

Problem is with those kinda surveys, is that, when asked, people come out with all sorts of awful political views.

But day-to-day, their actions don't necessarily align with their political stance.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    matt%20portal%2009052017-small.png
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tangled_metal
    If I was pushed to describe any link between mail readers that I know the most significant similarity is the way they don't look too deeply into a topic. It's in the mail, that's a newspaper therefore what it prints is right. It's like they read a health article and if it is about a condition someone they know has they'll tell them to follow what the article says. I had that when a mail article said a certain food was linked to stopping or causing a certain condition. It was rubbish! One journo found strong helped her and found spurious research backing it up. However the relative insisted I read the cutting and followed its advice even though it was clearly an opinion piece masquerading as something more.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    All the fashion, style...colourful flounce pictures. I would have thought most of you would love the DM. Hell everybody loves controversy! See the viewing figures here when there is a crash or someone gets done for drugs?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Superficially you could say mail readers were likely to be reactionary, right wing, anti-immigration because tyre paper comes across with that image. Also, you often get people with the same outlook on life getting on better than those completely different.
    The one about not discussing politics with their mail reading boss ... I wonder how many people who associate with mail readers but don't agree or even like the contents of the daily mail actually discuss politics with them any more? Just my curiosity, I'll not ask questions anymore.

I think you could describe my boss's politics as such, yes.

We do get on pretty well apart from that, but a lot of that is because he's worried I will leave if I don't like it.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    My grandfather-in-law was a reader of the Mail. Didn't have a problem with his political views, what I did have a problem with was how he believed that if it was in the Mail it was fact. One Christmas he kept asking me how much I was earning doing mountain rescue (Christmas was one of our really busy times of year for call outs, so I invariably turned up for meals with a rucsac). Despite my membership of an MR team and being au fait with how MR operates in England and Wales he preferred to believe the Mail rather than my insistence that we were all volunteers.
    He only accepted that I wasn't fibbing when snowmaggedon arrived, the country shut down and the Mail started haranguing the emergency services for not being able to cope with snow, and having to rely upon volunteer mountain rescue teams.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    The only thing you can safely say about all Daily Mail readers is that they're funding hate*. Everything else is conjecture.

*OK, some might be reading it over someone else's shoulder etc.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    *For more visit Mail Online to read about Michelle's struggle with cellulite as she tries to regain her bikini bod.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Not only froome, watch the video at the bottom of the page! No words at all! Well not forum friendly anyway

http://news.met.police.uk/news/driver-c ... ton-241136
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    All that's old school. Surely now it's...

You won't believe what Chris Froome's bike looks like now!

Nah, that's buzzfeed :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    Not only froome, watch the video at the bottom of the page! No words at all! Well not forum friendly anyway

http://news.met.police.uk/news/driver-c ... ton-241136

3 years for what is, to all intents and purposes, attempted murder. If that had been with any other weapon than a car, she'd be looking at double that.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Tomorrow;s headline:

VISCOUS KENYAN CYCLIST ADMITS PLANNING HIT AND RUN

Innocent van driver manages to escape unharmed.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Froome Out of Tour After Crash
    Pinarello Unable to Supply Crash Replacement in Less Than 6 Months
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    The Mail is hugely popular amongst housewives I believe.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    emadden wrote:
    Froome Out of Tour After Crash
    Pinarello Unable to Supply Crash Replacement in Less Than 6 Months

Just lucky they don't ride Canyons it'd be the end of his career.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327

I do know some.

They also happen to be the most bigoted, narrow minded, lack of critical thinking people I know. They're more interested in tabloid utter f'ing trash, like what dress Somebody Kardashian wore or fawning over some Royal on holiday. Than they're interested in real life changing news.
    It doesnt matter that the Tories are taking away our pensions and our NHS and we cant afford housing, because "Shocked fans go into meltdown after Billie Piper shares a rare picture of her almost identical younger sister Elle"
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245

I work with a bunch.

I don't know that's why I asked the question..

My question is really about whether anyone has come across any research only readership of common newspapers. Superficially you could say mail readers were likely to be reactionary, right wing, anti-immigration because tyre paper comes across with that image. Also, you often get people with the same outlook on life getting on better than those completely different.

I think it's interesting some of the other comments responding to my question. The one about not discussing politics with their mail reading boss, relative who reads it and IIRC was described as batty. I wonder how many people who associate with mail readers but don't agree or even like the contents of the daily mail actually discuss politics with them any more? Just my curiosity, I'll not ask questions anymore.

If my addled brain is working correctly the Glasgow University media studies group looked at newspapers, their readership and electoral swing. Three studies ("Bad News", "More Bad News" and the third was "Really Bad News" iirc). Early eighties, so the press was slightly more restrained (i.e. less rabid), and this is where my memory goes quite dim, I'm pretty sure they found that there was considerable partisanship re: newspaper loyalty, and that there was real evidence of press influence of voting patterns (rather than just a perceived influence). Obviously they did cover a lot more than this, and in much greater depth but it is a very long time ago that I read them.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    I'm always a little sceptical of the paper influences bit, as it smacks of an issue with correlation and causation problems. Do people read the Mail and then vote Tory, or are they natural Tory voters and therefore the read the Mail? etc

The Sun always seems to be the one which is credited with leading swings in people's voting patterns (or at least credits itself with it), but are people really that dumb that they will follow what the paper says - or is the paper just reflecting what it understands about its readerships opinions anyway?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    British press are the most right wing of all core European countries

It says something when the troll factories in Russia and Moldova aren't set to full throttle on the UK as its deemed redundant as the press here already do the job of spreading fake news
  • rick_chasey
    Morning RR - come out from hibernation?