The alternative BB Giro thread (May contain diversions)

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,428
    I have a lot of stuff on it.

Basic aluminium fact: 16 tons of Carbon Emissions from producing 1 ton of Alu from Bauxite. 1 twentieth of the Carbon and energy to recycle 1 ton of Alu.
    'Tin' cans are mild steel; which can only be recycled 6 times. Aluminium from the 1920's is still being recycled. Alu can be recycled indefinitely.

Now you'll have to explain 'Bauxite', Carbon, energy etc and look where Bauxite is mined and in what quantity and the environmental impact etc etc. You can do a hell of a lot on just Alu alone.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Garry H wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Well... you have (deliberately) undersold it a little haven't you?

No, i mean she's become totally mental about it, hand gestures and everything. She can't understand why we still need to cut down trees for paper. She's got me googling tin can production and all sorts of shite.

My daughter likes the rough men in hi viz who say "landfill mate", whatever it is that I bring them as a present. "Why don't you talk like that daddy?" Is what I get.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,853
    hopkinb wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Well... you have (deliberately) undersold it a little haven't you?

No, i mean she's become totally mental about it, hand gestures and everything. She can't understand why we still need to cut down trees for paper. She's got me googling tin can production and all sorts of shite.

My daughter likes the rough men in hi viz who say "landfill mate", whatever it is that I bring them as a present. "Why don't you talk like that daddy?" Is what I get.
    I'd get used to having a son in law who has a lot of second hand stuff if I was you. :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    Back OT:

Collusion (again). 3 principle protagonists can't get together and work and behind... the man in waiting (who's suffering) and a handful of future wannabe's work together to limit the gap to 15 secs.
    It's a funny old set up.
    Pinot seam like a pragmatic Frenchman. Well I never.
    Interesting TT the morra. Watch Quintana slip of the podium.

Hope DM recovers sufficiently to grind them into the dust.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Quintana to pull out of tour and go for vuelta if he loses Giro.
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:
    Quintana to pull out of tour and go for vuelta if he loses Giro.

Interesting thought.
  • Garry H
    Couldn't face going a season without a GT win. Can't see him overhauling Froome unless something drastic happens.
  • pinno
    edited May 2017
  • pinno
    The TdF is a bit if a boring one. The first MTF isn't until stage 12. There;s very few MTF's. I think it's designed to suit the Rolland's. Funny that. It certainly does not suit Quintana, except for the Marseilles TT which is only 22.5 KM's.
    It just might suit Contador. I wish he had done the Giro and planned to do the Vuelta as I think he only has an outside chance of the TdF,
  • Think Ive stumbled into Pro-Race, or mummsnet
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pinno
    The common misconception is that BB'ers aren't real cyclists and don't enjoy the sport.
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:
    The common misconception is that BB'ers aren't real cyclists and don't enjoy the sport.

Indeed, I have three bikes and a turbo trainer! I use SRAM though and have a couple of (retro) team tops.
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:
    The TdF is a bit if a boring one. The first MTF isn't until stage 12. There;s very few MTF's. I think it's designed to suit the Rolland's. Funny that. It certainly does not suit Quintana, except for the Marseilles TT which is only 22.5 KM's.
    It just might suit Contador. I wish he had done the Giro and planned to do the Vuelta as I think he only has an outside chance of the TdF,

Agreed.

Froome's then.
  • hopkinb
    I had a £20 e/w flutter pre-race on Pinot at 14's, so hoping he hammers Quintana and Nibs tomorrow, and TD makes a heroic effort involving 3 bike changes, a puncture and a sh!t in a ditch, but loses out to Peanut by a second or so.
  • pinno
    TD will ride with large incontinence pad (AKA Assos S7) and solid tyres on a fixie provided by Vredestein*. Just in case.

It makes sense.
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    TD will ride with large incontinence pad (AKA Assos S7) and solid tyres on a fixie provided by Vredestein*. Just in case.

It makes sense.

Naaah. I've heard it's prunes for brekkie, white skinsuit and a Boris bike with a sticking front brake for our handsome Dutch chum.
  • pinno
    Maybe it's Pinot who needs the Prunes. Then he'll be in a desperate rush. If you see what I mean.
  • Garry H
    I spoke with Big Tom earlier and advised him to shove a casquette down the back of his shorts.
  • pinno
    A casquette or a Baguette?!
  • hopkinb
    I'd be delighted to see TD win actually. As long as Pinot is top 3, I'm quids in.
  • hopkinb
    Garry H wrote:
    I use SRAM though

Is sram bad? I love sram. Mine is only rival, but it's ace. Clickety goodness.
  • Garry H
    hopkinb wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    I use SRAM though

Is sram bad? I love sram. Mine is only rival, but it's ace. Clickety goodness.

I love it too. I've had Apex, Rival and Red. Clickety click!
  • SRAm? I'm out
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pinno
    SRAm? I'm out

We have to lead the blind through the valley of tyranny and evil. Don't give up on them. They have been corrupted. Their souls need to be saved. Treat it a challenge, a chance to pull them out of the eternal flames of hell and bewilderment.
    Take up the mantle of light. Educate our brothers. Take them in your arms and show them love* and the path out of darkness.

*Erm, i'm not entirely sure about that but it's good prose, so feck it.
  • pinno
    No luck Hopkins Bob. Ha ha.

That was good.

Who's contesting the TdF (apart from Froomedog and the ageing Spanish bloke, wotsisname?)?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,853
    Usual suspects.
    Richie Porte as an outsider. Maybe.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    A heavy emphasis on 'outsider'.
    The route might suit Contador but I don't think he'll get past Froome.
    Aru?
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:
    A heavy emphasis on 'outsider'.
    The route might suit Contador but I don't think he'll get past Froome.
    Aru?
    Nah, too ugly. Looks worse on a bike than Froome.

Froome (by a mile)
    Bertie
    Porte

Will be the shitest tour ever.
  • pinno
    Unless Froome falls off. There is the distinct possibility that some French bloke will put a stick in his wheel.
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    No luck Hopkins Bob. Ha ha.

That was good.

Who's contesting the TdF (apart from Froomedog and the ageing Spanish bloke, wotsisname?)?

I think if you'd squeezed me into an FDJ skinsuit, and put me on a TT bike downhill for 30km, I'd have made a better fist of it. Or come last. Probably come last by 20 mins.

Great racing. The right man won for me.

I'll watch the tdf as usual, I thought froome was lively last year, and I like the glamourous sprinty stylings of the long haired Slovak sex god. I even like the sight of the sky super doms banging out km after km at umpteen watts. It's a sight to behold, like Sampras or Woods in their pomp, or Chelsea under Mourinho the first time round, or the Aussie cricket team late 90's early 00's. You don't have to like it, but I feel you have to respect it. But as with all things sporty, there's room for all opinions.