Tour of the Alps 2017 spoilers

Comments

• yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    7 Tim to go. Sky have caught the lone leader. Boswell finally pulled off the front (over 10km pace setting). 4 Sky in front, 3 Astana in their slipstream
  • yourpaceormine
    5km to go. Hugh Carthy attacks, Landa, Thomas, Possovivo, Scarponi react. Lead group thinned out

Cataldo, Landa and Pozzovivo pulling away..
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Pinot got to be careful here.
  • yourpaceormine
    3km to go, Pozzovivo and Land clear by 11s. Pozzovivo now virtual leader. Landa looking good for a change.
  • yourpaceormine
    1km to go, leaders have 18s. Thomas attacks
  • yourpaceormine
    Thomas almost caught leading 2. Caught and passed them. Looks like Thomas, Landa, Pozzovivo podium
  • yourpaceormine
    Thomas new race leader
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,439
    Not bad from Sky there... Looking pretty strong particularly G to get across then go again
  • RonB
    Perfect race for Sky that. Good performance by Thomas to get the initial gap from Pinot then go again after catching the leaders and get away from Pozzovivo around that bend inside the final km
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,826
    Well, that was good.
    Geraint very impressive bridging up to Landa and Pozzo in no time.
    Pinot left floundering and Dennis miles behind.

C9xr6MtWAAAq3CB.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • there's alnost exactly 4 years between Thibaut and Thomas. End of next month the former will be 27 and the latter 31 Thomas just seems to be in that sweet spot of power/experience/bombproof/can recover
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Thomas has proven that he can win the shorter stage races. There's a question mark about how he will go in a Grand Tour when he's riding for the GC. Really looking forward to the Giro.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,123
    Dennis miles behind.
    He had a bit of a stinker didn't he? I thought he was in the front group, but that was Bookwalter looking at the results. Doesn't bode well for his Giro ambitions.
  • RonB
    Milton50 wrote:
    Thomas has proven that he can win the shorter stage races. There's a question mark about how he will go in a Grand Tour when he's riding for the GC. Really looking forward to the Giro.

Interesting to see how they defend the lead - especially if the hills aren't clipped due to bad weather as they have been so far. With a team of 6 riders, it will be an honest test if FDJ and other teams try something from distance over the next couple of days.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,909
    Looking good for Sky. I've ridden the Bondone, and it's a pretty steady climb with no real steep sections or changes in gradient, it's just long and steady, which should be ideal for Thomas.

Of course, someone could do a Basso and just ride everyone off their wheel...
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • blazing_saddles
    Scarponi has hit the deck on a descent, today.
    Hopefully, he's not hurt as the Giro startlist has already taken heavy casualties.
  • yourpaceormine
    Today's climbing is done, flat run in to the finish. Frankiny and Pirazzi have a few seconds over Dupont. Sky leading the group, about a minute back. Dupont is leader on the road (probably, time gaps are few and far between on the feed) 10km to go
  • yourpaceormine
    Official time gaps are 18s and 1'38".

Pinch of salt required
  • yourpaceormine
    8" and 1'15" now. Under 6km to go.
    G down to Landa in support
  • yourpaceormine
    Dupont finally caught the leaders.
  • yourpaceormine
    Gap now 47"
  • yourpaceormine
    Pirrazzi dropped. Other teams now beginning to defend their positions. Gap coming down quickly now 13"
  • yourpaceormine
    All back together again. Final km. Sprint finish on cards
  • yourpaceormine
    Pinot? Photo finish. Montegutti (?)
  • yourpaceormine
    edited April 2017
    Montagutti (spelling?) AG2R takes it. G safe.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Poor Hubert Dupont. 36 years old, 13 years a pro. Zero race wins. He deserved one today.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    Good stage that. Pinot up to 2nd on GC.
    Same run in and finish as last year.
    Went on so long that it's kept UK Eurosport from being able to show Croatia.
  • yourpaceormine
    RichN95 wrote:
    Poor Hubert Dupont. 36 years old, 13 years a pro. Zero race wins. He deserved one today.

Some justice in his team mate taking the win
  • RichN95 wrote:

my sentiments exactly - I remember doing a similar thing in a race and chasing for miles. I got within 6 seconds and my legs went and I drifted the 3 minutes back to the bunch :? - I wasnt sure Dupont was going to make the final bridge at one point - Pirazzi was making it hard for him