Paris Roubaix 2017 -*SPOILERS*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited April 2017
    Mavic neutral service's booty for the day. (Explains where my bet on Naesen went)

C8-5-iQXUAETwAj.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    edited April 2017
    Hayman beats Boonen, again ;)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Cruff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Also when Struyven and Moscow came back was great. I was counting my pennies for a GVA win (had him each way - a lazy bet but I'm not complaining). Audible gasp in the room.

Also also - definitely recommend Rapha, since they were giving out free beer!!!!
    My missus was at Rapha in Manchester watching it - didn't say anything to me about free beer up there... But she's up the duff, so maybe didn't think to mention it. We got toasted on kronenbourg in the sunshine. Was baking hot for April.
    Bah, she could have got me a second one! That's where I was, they were giving you the first beer free.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mavic neutral service's booty for the day.
    Lot of Continental there. Again.
  • sagefly
    sagefly Posts: 295
    11th from Hayman, not such a bad defence. But GvA deserved winner.
    Turned out nice again!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    sagefly wrote:
    11th from Hayman, not such a bad defence. But GvA deserved winner.

Hayman rode a canny race. Kept himself up with the leaders with minimal fuss or exertion.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Disappointing race after what we've seen so far this season. I was waiting for some fireworks that never really came. In particular it would've been good if Langeveld had a go rather tham settle for 3rd.

I'll never understand people being annoyed at riders for sitting on though. Surely you should be annoyed at the others for doing the work for the 'wheelsucker'?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    thegibdog wrote:
    Disappointing race after what we've seen so far this season. I was waiting for some fireworks that never really came. In particular it would've been good if Langeveld had a go rather tham settle for 3rd.

I'll never understand people being annoyed at riders for sitting on though. Surely you should be annoyed at the others for doing the work for the 'wheelsucker'?
    I had no issue with him sitting on while there was a chance Boonen might come back,only to be expected really. I suppose it's legitimate not to want to work with GVA though as he is a very fast finisher, but he was increasing the chances of Moscon and Stuyven getting back on and knocking him off the podium.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Stybar was wrecked having worked plenty in the early parts of the race.

Complaining about ‘wheel-sucking’ in cycling is silly. It’s what the sport is made of.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Yeah Greg & BMC rode that more or less perfectly.

Guy only stuck his nose in the wind after a mechanical and after sector 5.

Owes Oss a nice fancy watch.

Boonen I don't think had the legs today. Those efforts he put in between 90-50km to go would have, in past years, made the selection. They didn't this year.

Still maintain GvA suits RVV better (and he still does too) but ja, if you ride so well individually and as a team tactically, and you've got the form, you'll do well. Let's face it, that group was 2 second row riders (Stybar & Langeveld) and one A lister.

Stybar had a decent chance to box in GvA too but went too early on and didn't take the chance to box.

Race really changed a lot because of the crash of Terpstra.

But yeah, GvA and BMC rode it perfectly.
  • rick_chasey
    Only one podium in 2015 and no team apart from Oss.

Yeah - come on one would have put money on a Stybar, GvA Langvels final 3, let alone Moscon in the top 5.

Wasn't the most attritional race - more tactical than most.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    edited April 2017
    Some times I forget how much of a loser Vaughters is, on twitter talking as if Langeveld has won PR, the tour and the world cup. But in reality he came 3rd.

Sad little man.

Suits loser Sep well this team.
  • rick_chasey
    I stand by my reasoning - he's not a 5 star or even 4 star favourite on the start line with BMC, and he still agrees RVV suits him better.
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Rick, think you're underestimating Kristoff... agree not Boonen level but I'd have him on 2 stars.

And given you think he'll do better at PR than the Ronde, how many stars for DvB?

One possibly zero.

I'll take a bet with you Kristoff doesn't make top 5...

yeah, sure, a beer after Easter... I don't put hard cash on the table ;)

Done.

Win some you lose some.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704

Boonen I don't think had the legs today. Those efforts he put in between 90-50km to go would have, in past years, made the selection. They didn't this year.

Still maintain GvA suits RVV better (and he still does too) but ja, if you ride so well individually and as a team tactically, and you've got the form, you'll do well. Let's face it, that group was 2 second row riders (Stybar & Langeveld) and one A lister.

By what logic does 6th, 5th, 2nd and 2nd in 5 outings make a second tier P-R rider?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Hahaa fair.

Second row behind Boonen & Terpstra though.

As is Langeveld to Sep.
  • rick_chasey
    Boonen complaining of cross-head wind in the important cobbled sections, which would explain how it worked out.

Also said, without malice, that he could tell a lot of the riders were pretty stoked to be in his group, so was tough.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Stybar was wrecked having worked plenty in the early parts of the race.

Complaining about ‘wheel-sucking’ in cycling is silly. It’s what the sport is made of.
    Hardly. If everyone was a wheel sucker there'd be no racing
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Happy enough with GvA, but didn't find it very exciting. Kept hoping for the gap to come down below 30sec for a bit of drama.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Meh.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^the race or my comment?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    thegibdog wrote:

I thought it started well carnage all over but the finish was a bit of an anti climax.. Perhaps watching six hours of it had dulled my senses......
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Glad a big name won it - I reckon GvA has a couple more monuments in him as he seems to handle the distance so well and sill finish fast. Bad luck to Sagan though. Boonen clearly slightly over the hill don't think he could win in the style he has in the past and not sure he'd be able to go under the radar so probably timed his retirement right.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    inseine wrote:
    GvA having the season Sagan should be.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • thestrand
    thestrand Posts: 112
    Some times I forget how much of a loser Vaughters is, on twitter talking as if Langeveld has won PR, the tour and the world cup. But in reality he came 3rd.

Sad little man.

Suits loser Sep well this team.

The bee has really got in your bonnet after that race. Of course Vaughters is going to put a positive spin on a podium finish in a monument, after the pretty woeful results Cannondale had last year and the start of this year.

I don't think the race was as bad as you're making it out to be. Not sure about the hate for GvA either...
    Felt F95 2012

Hello to Jason Isaacs
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    inseine wrote:
    If everyone was a wheel sucker there'd be no racing
    Conversely, if nobody was a 'wheel sucker', then we'd just have time trialling.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Without so-called wheel sucking there's none of the tactical poker playing. Van Avermaet used Oss as an excuse not work, Stybar had Boonen behind, Stuyven had Degenkolb. It's about betting the right amount of effort at the right time. They're teams holding an ace, but who has the best kicker?

And in that sense, it was terrific race - rather than someone bullying everyone else with a big pot and a pair of aces.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    ^the race or my comment?

The race. Agree with your comment.
  • rick_chasey
    Never really blew apart.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Was probably defined as much by mechanicals as by actual attacks so not a classic edition, but enjoyable enough. A worthy winner imo.