Ronde van Vlaanderen 2017 *spoilers*

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    At the end of the day Gilbert is a professional cyclist. Which means he gets paid to do it. The marketing people at Specialized are probably delighted with that finish line photo - so job done.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Pinno wrote:
    It was "an admittedly decent ride" by Gilbert, though.

In retrospect he's dead right. I mean a decent ride would have been Gilbert going off the front at the 250km to go mark, falling off on the Muur and breaking his leg in the process, crashing on the Koppenberg breaking his wrist and finishing 3 hours ahead of the peloton before asking the attending crowd if he was worthy of crossing the finishing line.
    ...but even then, that will never be as good as clinging to some over rated Swiss bloke's wheel putting in diddley squat effort and then pipping him at the post, will it?

What?
  • Milton50 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

In retrospect he's dead right. I mean a decent ride would have been Gilbert going off the front at the 250km to go mark, falling off on the Muur and breaking his leg in the process, crashing on the Koppenberg breaking his wrist and finishing 3 hours ahead of the peloton before asking the attending crowd if he was worthy of crossing the finishing line.
    ...but even then, that will never be as good as clinging to some over rated Swiss bloke's wheel putting in diddley squat effort and then pipping him at the post, will it?

What?

Fiiiiiiiiiiiight
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,428
    Milton50 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

What?

Ref.: Gerrans (Professional cyclist of Australian Origin), Cancellara (Professional cyclist of Swiss Origin), Milan San Remo 2012 (Italian Classic, which traditionally marked the start of the Professional cycling season proper).
    Apologies to all for not mentioning Nibali as Nibali had originally made the attack.
    Nibali (Professional cyclist of Italian Origin).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • milton50
    You think Cancellara is over rated?
  • pinno
    Milton50 wrote:
    You think Cancellara is over rated?

It was a jab at the Brett bloke who wrote the article in Velominati but never mind.
  • milton50
    Whew. I was about to unleash an essay on why Cancellara was immense :P
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    Notice anything missing from Tom's bike?

1106927061.jpg
  • pinno
    Discs?
  • rick_chasey
    Yup yup.

All that hype, and the biggest race of the year and he goes back to rim brakes.
  • pinno
    Aah but with a slight suspension sort of thing - a coiled spring in the steerer.

Interesting:

20170330_-%C2%ACBrakeThrough-Media_A10O2203.jpg
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    Yup yup.

Mainly because he was worried about not being able to get the right wheel if he had a mechanical. That worked out well.
  • pinno
    andyp wrote:
    Yup yup.

Mainly because he was worried about not being able to get the right wheel if he had a mechanical. That worked out well.

Great ad for Shimano all that faff. 3 bikes, 'kin ell :roll:
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    Worse advert for their mechanics.

2 dropped chains and all for the sake of a £15 chain catcher.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,564
    Gweeds wrote:

Lefevre doesn't do marginal gains... :wink:
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    Or marginal chains
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,951
    .....wrong thread.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pinno
    dish_dash wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

...or accurate time gaps. Sometimes he doesn't even bother.
  • rick_chasey
    Pinno wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

I've read elsewhere that the chain got stuck between the big and the small ring on both, so a chain catcher wouldn't make a difference.

They needed a screwdriver to get the chains out of there.

Makes a nice story though.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Pinno wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

I've read elsewhere that the chain got stuck between the big and the small ring on both, so a chain catcher wouldn't make a difference.

They needed a screwdriver to get the chains out of there.

Makes a nice story though.

On what sort of cheap tat does the chain get stuck between the rings?

Mechanical or electronic anyone know?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pinno
    Making some assumptions, if you look at Boonen in the above shot, going uphill in the big ring: Was Boonen changing to the small ring under severe pedal pressure to get the chain stuck?
    So that's a combination of badly set up trim function of the front mech and force.
    It's relatively unheard of and it's never happened to me though Boonen's small left toe probably produces more power than me.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Pinno wrote:
    Aah but with a slight suspension sort of thing - a coiled spring in the steerer.

Interesting:

Okay not an engineer, but I would imagine that spring must be ever so strong (or whatever the technical term is) to keep headset in the right place. Too sloppy and headset would be compromised. So if the spring has to be dead strong, what advantage will it give? Might offer some bounce hitting metre deep pot holes, but over juddery cobbles? Not forgetting that once compressed the headset will be fubar'd, and floppy sloppy.. Would have been more efficient putting the flex in the stem, like a, err flexstem from the eighties.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Pinno wrote:
    Making some assumptions, if you look at Boonen in the above shot, going uphill in the big ring: Was Boonen changing to the small ring under severe pedal pressure to get the chain stuck?
    So that's a combination of badly set up trim function of the front mech and force.
    It's relatively unheard of and it's never happened to me though Boonen's small left toe probably produces more power than me.

Had a little google and apparently his 42 tooth inner is meant to be paired with a 54 or 55 outer but he was running it with a 53. Seems odd as 53*42 used to be standard even when up til when I started riding again 15 or so years back but they speculate maybe the misalignment in the rings because of the way they are designed these days led to the dropped chain Still surprised it would jam between the rings though - I've seen that enough on kids bikes but can't remember it happening on a decent bike though as you say Boonen climbing at race speed is probably a different proposition in terms of watts.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    i can't believe Boonens issue was one tooth too few on the big ring.
  • DeVlaeminck
    i can't believe Boonens issue was one tooth too few on the big ring.

It's possible if the 53 is milled to work better with a 39 rather than the 42 then it could make the difference between dropping the chain and not. That's the suggestion.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

Interesting:

Okay not an engineer, but I would imagine that spring must be ever so strong (or whatever the technical term is) to keep headset in the right place. Too sloppy and headset would be compromised. So if the spring has to be dead strong, what advantage will it give? Might offer some bounce hitting metre deep pot holes, but over juddery cobbles? Not forgetting that once compressed the headset will be fubar'd, and floppy sloppy.. Would have been more efficient putting the flex in the stem, like a, err flexstem from the eighties.

20mm of movement apparently.

From Cycling Weekly:

"The bikes comes with Future Shock, which is a spring cartridge that suspends the front end. It’s built into the fork and sits within the head tube.
    That in itself is nothing unusual, and Future Shock is available on the consumer model of the Specialized Roubaix. For these, the spring comes in three different weights.

However, Specialized says that Boonen has been experimenting with how stiff he runs his front end, so chances are, what he raced at Flanders is a lot stiffer than what you or I could buy."

...and on the subject of discs, in the same article, it is (as has been mentioned) a compatibility decision:

Quoting Specialized themselves:

“In a time where bikes with disc brakes have not yet been adopted by all teams, there exists a discrepancy in mechanical assistance along the course.

“For these technical and strategic reasons, working closely with our teams and riders, we’ve decided to supply Tom Boonen (for whom Paris-Roubaix will be the last race of his career), and all of our riders competing at both Flanders and Paris-Roubaix, with Roubaix bikes that have traditional rim brakes.”

It is a Di2 gruppo.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Pinno wrote:

Interesting:

I'd assume that the headset is kept in place by a separate mechanism, rather than by the stem/spacers. I know other headset set-ups recently have taken that approach - makes sense really as you can adjust or switch out the stem without having to worry about the headset.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,396
    So it's a ProFlex stem mk2 basically...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    ddraver wrote:
    So it's a ProFlex stem mk2 basically...

There's nothing new under the sun really.