Condor Potenza (now Dolan Dual) thoughts?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If tyre clearance is what you're after though, I wouldn't bother with an older Colnago. If the C40 geometry is anything like my Dream (which I suspect it mostly is) it won't fit anything bigger than a 23mm tyre (Vittoria Rubino) on a 17mm internal width rim.

I agree, I wasn't thinking about an old frame... it just came up in the discussion
    left the forum March 2023
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Does this have to be a carbon frame?

Thought alu was "on trend" now.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Moonbiker wrote:

Light aluminium with carbon forks is fine, although most alu frames are full on race with zero clearance, things like a Spesc Allez
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I too am a fan of BSA bottom brackets, it would influence my frame choice (C59 over a C60, for example). However, I had great success with a BB converter, BB30 to BSA on a CAAD10 frame. The one I used was made by FSA but there are others. Light press fit, some lower strength Loctite, a very good solution that opens up your choice considerably.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    Moonbiker wrote:

Light aluminium with carbon forks is fine, although most alu frames are full on race with zero clearance, things like a Spesc Allez

How about a trek emonda alr frameset?
  • ugo.santalucia
    jdee84 wrote:
    Moonbiker wrote:

How about a trek emonda alr frameset?

Visually I hate it, but if the frame really weighs only 1080 grams, then it is a very interesting option, although the BB86 might turn out to be a pain (as well as not)
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Dinyull wrote:
    Check if they have any "damaged". Usually just paint imperfections, but offered with over £100 off.

With it being an old design I'd be surprised if the current trend of 28mm fit?

But I'd class their frames in the same class of Planet X and Ribble. Chinese open mould etc.

It takes mudguards, so without them you can fit 28 mm tyres... I have just asked... I don't have a problem with Chinese frames, as long as they have been around and they are reputable

Dolan Dual in black/white has been my regular ride for 2.5 years now. I race it, and put full guards on it through winter. Easily fits 28s. Even larger tyres could be used if carefully selected. It might fit some 28s with guards and easily 25s with guards. This is all with BR650 calipers.
  • trek_dan wrote:

I am also hopeful that the arrival of Open PRO Exalith means a step up in performance and durability of rim brakes

extra €100 over non-Exalith rims though!
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Buy my C59! See classified. Although I think you despise all cycling things Italian.
    Just remembered it doesn't take 25mm tyres. Has a BSA BB though.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ugo.santalucia
    trek_dan wrote:

I am also hopeful that the arrival of Open PRO Exalith means a step up in performance and durability of rim brakes

In my position, I have to be a rim snob... can't settle for second best :mrgreen:
  • trek_dan wrote:

In my position, I have to be a rim snob... can't settle for second best :mrgreen:

I'm just hoping that the non-exaliths look the same, although they're still €70 (which will be about 2 million quid when they are released in June :D ).
  • ugo.santalucia
    trek_dan wrote:

I'm just hoping that the non-exaliths look the same, although they're still €70 (which will be about 2 million quid when they are released in June :D ).

Not according to the Barclays analysts who predict a recovery of the Pound... :roll:

I wonder why they pay so much money to those folks who can't get even the obvious right...
  • ugo.santalucia
    Buy my C59! See classified. Although I think you despise all cycling things Italian.

Clearance is really a deal breaker... it's the reason I went discs in the first place 7 years ago, I am not going back on that
  • Moonbiker
    Have you seen theese alan framsets?

Super-Corsa-Ergal2.jpg
  • proto

I've got 25mm tyres on my C59. :?
  • Moonbiker
    Ribble used to make some nice steel frames so I dunno why terry dolan carbon is is better than ribble carbon?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    proto wrote:

Do the wheels turn round?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ugo.santalucia
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Ribble used to make some nice steel frames so I dunno why terry dolan carbon is is better than ribble carbon?

Who says they are better? RIbble used to have a Sportive 365, which had clearance and all, but I can find it no more. The current offerings seem to be limited to 25 mm
  • ugo.santalucia
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Have you seen theese alan framsets?

Super-Corsa-Ergal2.jpg

Gosh, I thought Alan was gone 30 years ago...
  • proto
    proto wrote:

Do the wheels turn round?

Yes. I've used GP4000s tyres and Vittoria Corsa G+.
  • Moonbiker
    Sounds like you want a a lightwieght racy "audax" frameset (tyre clearance) so need something deemed "old fashioned" as due to discs they seem to have gone extinct.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    How about a Cannondale Synapse?

It has decent tyre clearance - admittedly press fit bottom bracket - however that should present no issues to you.

Link to free motion who sell their ex- rental bikes with a warranty - sell the stuff you don't want from it or ask if they will discount if you bought the bike sans wheels/components.

http://www.free-motion.com/en/tenerife/ ... e-ab-2010/
  • ugo.santalucia
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Sounds like you want a a lightwieght racy "audax" frameset (tyre clearance) so need something deemed "old fashioned" as due to discs they seem to have gone extinct.

Indeed... some very nice modern fashioned frames seem to take big tyres, but it's a case a of trial and error and I don't want to be the one making the error.
    Apparently the new Cannondale Supersix 2017 can take 28... maybe the Caad 12 and the Synapse can too?
    BB30 can be avoided with a Praxi, I suppose
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The PF30/ BB30 standard has had a bit of bad press - however, I have noticed that this is maybe due to Cannondale not producing frames with the appropriate tolerances in the BB shell. My feeling is that they have got better at this and so there is not the issues they had before.
  • ugo.santalucia
    This discussion has been useful to have a grasp of what's available out there. I think I need to make up my mind what I want/need. I guess the National AUK 400 in June will be key, whether I want to get into long distance or maybe it's not for me... basically whether something like the Dolan or maybe a Condor Fratello are for me, or maybe something a bit lighter/sleeker/meaner like one of the 'Dales or even the Emonda, which seems incredible value
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    It looks very nice in the blue colourway. I cant see any reference to tyre clearance? Specialized say my Tarmac will take 28c but I have tried two tyre brands and the clearnance is too tight.

Hang on I must be dreaming....Ugo...carbon...rim brakes......... :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    solboy10 wrote:
    It looks very nice in the blue colourway. I cant see any reference to tyre clearance? Specialized say my Tarmac will take 28c but I have tried two tyre brands and the clearnance is too tight.

Hang on I must be dreaming....Ugo...carbon...rim brakes......... :D

It's the way things are... lightweight and disc brakes is way too expensive for my pockets... plus I am a bit fed up that every week one has to learn about yet a new axle standard/caliper mount which is incompatible with the others... spending a lot of money to end up in a cul de sac is a realistic risk
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Look out for a second hand enigma esprit. Mine has a 25 michelin pro 3 on the back and I'm pretty sure a 28 would fit - especially with wide rims. The limit to clearance is the front mech band on the seat tube.
    Fork choice affects the front. My Ritchey Comp fork has loads of clearance for a 28 tyre, and the std drop brakes are almost fully adjusted to the bottom.

Maybe this:
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/enig ... 1183365189

or
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/lite ... 1227035077
  • ugo.santalucia
    Look out for a second hand enigma esprit. Mine has a 25 michelin pro 3 on the back and I'm pretty sure a 28 would fit - especially with wide rims. The limit to clearance is the front mech band on the seat tube.
    Fork choice affects the front. My Ritchey Comp fork has loads of clearance for a 28 tyre, and the std drop brakes are almost fully adjusted to the bottom.

Maybe this:
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/enig ... 1183365189

or
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/lite ... 1227035077

TBH I have never quite seen the point of titanium... it's not lighter, it's not stiffer, it's not prettier, but yet it commands a large premium... the same applies to stainless steel, I don't think it's worth bothering for a "frame hopper" like myself
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    It was two reasons: resale value, which is great if you buy second hand. And clearance for larger tyres. Titanium bikes generally seen to be built with more clearance.

Or stay steel and get an audax rig.
    http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/product/audax-club/

I'd get carbon forks though