Paris Nice 2017 spoilers

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Crampeur wrote:
    Haven't seen FDJ ride together so coherently in a long time.

Is it possible that TiboPino doesn't inspire and Demare does? FDJ really looked good today - planned, executed, won
  • Ooh, that were good

Echelons, leading GC contenders flailing, sprinters going out the back on the final ramp having made the front group

Something for everyone
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Despite being on the wrong side of the split, I still reckon Porte is the favourite. 53 seconds behind Alaphilippe on GC and only 38 behind Martin/Henao
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Romain Bardet has been disqualified. I don't know why, although we did see him get a giant handsling off the team car after he punctured - but that would be harsh IMO.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    RichN95 wrote:
    Romain Bardet has been disqualified. I don't know why, although we did see him get a giant handsling off the team car after he punctured - but that would be harsh IMO.

Think he crashed in the crosswind section- had a bloody hip and knee when they showed him at the finish line. It was a very, very long chase on and he had two magic spanners, a super sticky bottle and also was drafting the team car.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

It is to do with excessive help from the cars
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Boring, that was not.
    Maybe Velon should just invest in a bunch of wind machines.
    Time to start a : "Contador is finished," thread.....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:

Pretty harsh, though that was a huuuuge hand swing. He'd been pushing the boundary before that as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Thought Bardet was getting a lot of help after the crash. Commentators seemed to completely miss it. Bit harsh but it was a lot of help.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Thought Bardet was getting a lot of help after the crash. Commentators seemed to completely miss it. Bit harsh but it was a lot of help.

Not on Danish TV they didn't. They pointed out that the race coms tended to look the other way after a crash/mechanical but thought he was getting a bit more help than usual.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It is to do with excessive help from the cars

and a sticky bottle, and a bit of rear mech 'tinkering'...
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810

Not on Danish TV they didn't. They pointed out that the race coms tended to look the other way after a crash/mechanical but thought he was getting a bit more help than usual.
    Hatch and Kelly missed it on British Eurosport but hey, at least we didn't have Kirby going full retard again!
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Sticky bottles / drafting is one thing - but there was a great shot of him grabbing the rear window frame of his team car and pulling himself forward like a madison slingshot. Saw it at the time and thought he might struggle with that manoeuvre
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704

Hatch and Kelly missed it on British Eurosport but hey, at least we didn't have Kirby going full retard again!

The positioning of the Coquard interview, just as the groups were obviously entering an exposed section of the course, highlights Eurosport's lack of a half decent director, If they actually employ one at all.
    Seat of the pants operation.

With that on the split screen, they failed to notice Ion Izaguirre had ended up in a field.
    Seemed to throw them quite a bit, so they ended up searching for riders, rather than following Bardet's magical return.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Demarre looked strong at Kurne he would have been my pick :) - I thought Coquard would have been there but those crosswinds were brutal

Demarre coming of age and not just a bunch sprinter - he looks more versatile each year. Mollard was a good signing and so was Guarnieri who made massive contributions today. They are getting that end sorted out but look thin in terms of climbers. Madiot can't leave the classics - Demarre looking good for the monuments
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648

The positioning of the Coquard interview, just as the groups were obviously entering an exposed section of the course, highlights Eurosport's lack of a half decent director, If they actually employ one at all.

With that on the split screen, they failed to notice Ion Izaguirre had ended up in a field.
    Seemed to throw them quite a bit, so they ended up searching for riders, rather than following Bardet's magical return.
    They did notice Izaguirre.

And I just thought Bardet was getting the "local favourite" treatment.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431

All over it on Sporza too

And a well deserved DQ. He was taking the mickey to be honest... Well, its just that the French TV were glued to him being a French star and all... and that was his downfall.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • emadden wrote:

.. Well, its just that the French TV were glued to him being a French star and all... and that was his downfall.

Fighting bravely against adversity ...bending the rules for the cause...he might not be riding the next few days but his worth in terms of the next French thing just went up 'Croire passionnément à quelque chose'

if had been a Brit ..........Il ne serait pas acceptable!!
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Were there many on discs today?
  • 16996276_1503580743009193_2937480992962151259_n.png?oh=e8e38e98e614b33267819217f8ca7f64&oe=592E6FC9
  • That was quite a ride by Contador who has been feeling crock. No support at the end from what I can see - Porte had Roche and Wyss and still only lost 15 seconds in those conditions ? It's that sort of riding you don't always notice but is necessary for a GC rider....
  • rick_chasey
    Bluemoon17 wrote:

I didn't notice any.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Bluemoon17 wrote:

I didn't notice any.

Kittel at least, according to Cycling News
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    Tony Martin too according to his twitter feed.
  • inseine
    They were using drones today, not helicopters, Bardet probably didn't realize he was being watched.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    inseine wrote:
    They were using drones today, not helicopters, Bardet probably didn't realize he was being watched.

He'd just raced the Abu Dabai Tour, so you can understand where the whole 'nobody's watching' thing might have come from...
  • Thought Bardet was getting a lot of help after the crash. Commentators seemed to completely miss it. Bit harsh but it was a lot of help.

They did notice Izaguirre.

And I just thought Bardet was getting the "local favourite" treatment.

They didn't, they thought it was Grega Bole. Like Blazing says, they were showing a Coquard interview when JI went into a field, losing the group.

Bole had already been dropped by that point, but they just assumed it was him when they saw a Bahrain jersey back in the pack.

I wasn't overly impressed with the commentary today, and I LOVE Rob Hatch
  • When Bardet was up to his antics I did think he would get into some trouble for it..Henao must be in strong form to be able to hold on in the winds the way he did, when he was talking turns at the front and he was swapping over with the big classic sort of guys he looked absolutely tiny compared to them, I'm sure he would have hit his bed right away last night, he would have been knackered
  • When Bardet was up to his antics I did think he would get into some trouble for it..Henao must be in strong form to be able to hold on in the winds the way he did, when he was talking turns at the front and he was swapping over with the big classic sort of guys he looked absolutely tiny compared to them, I'm sure he would have hit his bed right away last night, he would have been knackered

He hit form for the Colombian Nats, and can ride that form for a bit. Did well yday.
  • inseine
    Nice to see my local roads handing up a tough test
    132950_20170305PNC0014.jpg