It's All Kicking Off in The Bottom Bracket

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Rick is well past his prime post wise but he doesn't let that stop him.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Frenchie does still log in from time to time...

Yes. And PMs people who say things he doesn't agree with, which is very odd behaviour!

PM's don't go towards the post count. It would ruin the lovely even number.

Are you planning something similar? Not long!

Or maybe going for the big 50?

Couldn't give a farq but I see some wishful thinking in there :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    edited February 2017
    Not everyone agreed with him but the world would be a boring place if everyone thought the same thing. The photos he used to post were great and he loves racing. Frenchie was all about the panache.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Pinno wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Frenchie does still log in from time to time...

Yes. And PMs people who say things he doesn't agree with, which is very odd behaviour!

PM's don't go towards the post count. It would ruin the lovely even number.

Are you planning something similar? Not long!

Or maybe going for the big 50?

Couldn't give a farq but I see some wishful thinking in there :wink:

Haha, you're alright really.

TBH I don't normally see post count as I usually browse from my phone.
  • Frenchie lives on through the My Man posts. He started that.

Admittedly there's not enough pictures on the forum, but I don't post enough, or scour the internet enough to find them
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Not everyone agreed with him but the world would be a boring place if everyone thought the same thing. The photos he used to post were great and he loves racing. Frenchie was all about the panache.

Plus he was the greatest sign maker of his generation. Let us not forget that.

2014-07-07203930_zps19b343de.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    For a long time I actually thought he was a teenager.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Who - FF or Contador?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    FF. I'm a big fan of contador, dopage or no dopage.
  • Matthewfalle
    This. I really quite like him. He always seems to be smiling, which is nice.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Learned to ride by hooning around on a butcher's bike, apparently.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I also have no beef with Contador
    That Bradley Wiggins likes to lark around as well - he's a nice chap also.
  • Matthewfalle
    I understand that his beef came in a secret courier package. The original Jiffey Bag of Doom. Bizarrely they had a courier docket for that one.

He also managed to massively annoy Dopestrong which is always nice.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Garry H wrote:

Rides with pride, looks good on a bike the best stage racer of the last 20 years. Whats not to like?
  • Garry H wrote:

Rides with pride, looks good on a bike the best stage racer of the last 20 years. Whats not to like?

His fans.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Garry H wrote:

His fans.
    :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Garry H wrote:

I freely concede I may be missing the joke but how about the fact that he is a drugs cheat. If he and his ilk were treated with the contempt they deserve then the sport would have proper sponsors and wages.

The fact that each drugs cheat is happily accepted back by sponsors and the peloton tells you that at best they see them as doing nothing wrong.
  • pinno
    edited February 2017
    Garry H wrote:

I freely concede I may be missing the joke but how about the fact that he is a drugs cheat. If he and his ilk were treated with the contempt they deserve then the sport would have proper sponsors and wages.

The fact that each drugs cheat is happily accepted back by sponsors and the peloton tells you that at best they see them as doing nothing wrong.

Well, if you're going to down that line, why not wipe all the records off every professional from way back in the day when it was acceptable (1930's and even viewed as 'innovative') right up until the Dopestrong scandal kicked off?

Museeuw, Tom Simpson, Pantani, Virenque, Farrar...

Contador served his ban and therefore you have to accept the UCI's decision making process. I might have guessed the holier-than-thou Surrey commuter would have taken that line.

So there. That's it, i've said it. That'll put an end to this luvvy duvvy 'Brackateers and Cake stoppers shack up with the Pro Racer boys' sh1t. :roll:

...and besides, there's little doubt in my mind that Wiggo pushed the TUE boundaries. It was legal but arguably immoral.
  • Garry H wrote:

His fans.

Post of ProRace
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Garry H wrote:

Given how rife it was, if you treated all dopers like that the sport would have folded.

The question I put to you is how much did the doping really bother fans when they were watching?

Some more than others no doubt. Ultimately cyclings a relative sport, so the difference between riding at 55kph and 50kph is not really noticeable.

It's not ideal, but boring racing and the fact races need to be 4-7 hours each day, is a bigger hindrance to its popularity. That puts a limit on it. (I don't mind - I like that and regularly wish races were longer, but I'm the outlier).

If people were really bothered by doping they'd be more concerned about football & other popular sports than they are.
  • Garry H wrote:

Given how rife it was, if you treated all dopers like that the sport would have folded.

The question I put to you is how much did the doping really bother fans when they were watching?

Some more than others no doubt. Ultimately cyclings a relative sport, so the difference between riding at 55kph and 50kph is not really noticeable.

It's not ideal, but boring racing and the fact races need to be 4-7 hours each day, is a bigger hindrance to its popularity. That puts a limit on it. (I don't mind - I like that and regularly wish races were longer, but I'm the outlier).

If people were really bothered by doping they'd be more concerned about football & other popular sports than they are.

I would say the equivalent in team sports is match fixing which they go to great lengths to stamp out. Even so commentators will openly discuss the validity of Pakistan's cricket performances.
  • rick_chasey
    Did it stop you watching?

Races being bought & sold used to happen a lot too.
  • Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Well, if you're going to down that line, why not wipe all the records off every professional from way back in the day when it was acceptable (1930's and even viewed as 'innovative') right up until the Dopestrong scandal kicked off?

Museeuw, Tom Simpson, Pantani, Virenque, Farrar...

Contador served his ban and therefore you have to accept the UCI's decision making process. I might have guessed the holier-than-thou Surrey commuter would have taken that line.

So there. That's it, i've said it. That'll put an end to this luvvy duvvy 'Brackateers and Cake stoppers shack up with the Pro Racer boys' sh1t. :roll:

...and besides, there's little doubt in my mind that Wiggo pushed the TUE boundaries. It was legal but arguably immoral.

Bit personal - you need to take responsibility for your own actions - blaming me will achieve nothing.

I have a consistent line with crime and punishment which is disproportionate sentencing to discourage the others
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Paul 8v wrote:

I never worked out if that was actually him or not. :-)
  • Matthewfalle
    We don't know if what Belgian Brad did was legal because we don't yet know what he actually did ......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Judging by the crowds at the major cycling events, it's pretty popular. Do you/we want it to be more popular and in the realms of footballers/golfers wages? I don't. In that event, the use of drugs and the temptation to would probably rise.

[I suppose I am agreeing with RC? farq me!]
  • rick_chasey
    Not like you to be relativist pinno ;)
  • Garry H
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

I never worked out if that was actually him or not. :-)

Looks like there's two people holding up the sign. The one in front is wearing funny trews. I bet that's him.
  • Matthewfalle
    Is that snow on the road? If so bloke playing Daddy behind in just a shirt is well 'rad.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    Is that snow on the road? If so bloke playing Daddy behind in just a shirt is well 'rad.

Was stage 3 of the 2015 TdF IIRC.