It's All Kicking Off in The Bottom Bracket

Comments

• Another thread bites the dust, just as the Guardian puts the wellie in the Daily Fail, too...

Amusing seeing Dan Hodges of the Fail on Sunday getting schooled on the Twatter this morning, with the coup de grace administered by the founder of Wikipedia
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Another thread bites the dust, just as the Guardian puts the wellie in the Daily Fail, too...

Amusing seeing Dan Hodges of the Fail on Sunday getting schooled on the Twatter this morning, with the coup de grace administered by the founder of Wikipedia
    Oooh. What happened? I've been out of the country sans-WiFi. I'd love to see the fail get a kicking
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Lol

Now, first of all: can anyone actually distinguish Cake Stop from Bottom Bracket?!

The 'It's kicking off in ******** thread' is just an alert. I can't vouch for everyone who posts down there but the vast majority of us don't do any trolling. You'll have to go and find actual trolling posts done by regular BBers before making that assertion.
    I personally don't find trolling funny or clever.
    Recently, we have had quite an influx of new posters and I think you'll find that it is far from a little club or clique. I notice that almost 0 Pro Race regulars post there, so without ever having had any interaction with 'us', again, you cannot make the assertion that it is a clique.
    The Wiggins thread Mk1, 2 and 3 deserved a can of petrol, you have to admit. Seems like every facet was covered ad nauseum and so a few BBers turning up when the dust was already being kicked up can hardly be deemed as 'trolling'.
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Do you think any of them actually even like cycling or are they on there just to be tw@ts?

What have we done or do that deserves to be called tw@ts exactly?
    They say that you can only insult friends and as I don't know you, that's insulting. I think there's a little hiding behind the shield of 'i'm in the company of like minded souls and I can insult people I don't know' in that statement, if you are perfectly honest. Whereas, i'll stick my neck out without 'cover'.

Anyway, odd comment considering that I know 1 regular Pro Race regular that doesn't actually cycle. Therefore, is it a pre-requisite that on order to be on a cycling forum, you need to own a bike?
    It's a moot point because I do not know anyone on BB that doesn't cycle and if someone has something to add to a forum, especially in an off topic area, then who cares anyway?

Me? I have been cycling for 32 years plus.

BB generally is an eclectic mix of eclectic people who almost never insult each other or call people names (unless in jest or in the constraints and within the culture of the BB). We almost never get into serious arguments and it almost never descends into personal insults. So I find the deep hypocrisy in some of the posts in this thread very amusing.
    BB is more like a chat forum and is filled with people who don't take things or each other too seriously and in actual fact, if you want something really off the wall and no holds barred, go into Crudcatcher. We're saints in comparison.

As a mod, I think that Veronese68 can vouch for the fact that we're actually pretty tolerant and open minded.
    On reflection, more open minded and tolerant than in most areas of the forum.

Why not get stuck in and see instead of looking at it through the wrong end of a telescope?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited February 2017
    Pinno wrote:
    Anyway, odd comment considering that I know 1 regular Pro Race regular that doesn't actually cycle.
    I notice that you suggested that that was me. I own three bikes. Admittedly I don't ride as much as I used to for various reasons and mostly just use the turbo trainer now, but I've ridden plenty.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I'm pleased to see that our efforts are being recognised at last. I think of BB as performing a valuable social function. Reduces pressure on the social services, keeps trouble makers off the streets and takes randomness to new levels. What can be wrong with that?

It's why BB was created following the Commuters v Cake Stop war of 2012
    ...that and the moderators wanted somewhere to put the Girls In... threads that they couldn't bring themselves to delete
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pinno wrote:
    Lol

Now, first of all: can anyone actually distinguish Cake Stop from Bottom Bracket?!

The 'It's kicking off in ******** thread' is just an alert. I can't vouch for everyone who posts down there but the vast majority of us don't do any trolling. You'll have to go and find actual trolling posts done by regular BBers before making that assertion.
    I personally don't find trolling funny or clever.
    Recently, we have had quite an influx of new posters and I think you'll find that it is far from a little club or clique. I notice that almost 0 Pro Race regulars post there, so without ever having had any interaction with 'us', again, you cannot make the assertion that it is a clique.
    The Wiggins thread Mk1, 2 and 3 deserved a can of petrol, you have to admit. Seems like every facet was covered ad nauseum and so a few BBers turning up when the dust was already being kicked up can hardly be deemed as 'trolling'.
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Do you think any of them actually even like cycling or are they on there just to be tw@ts?

What have we done or do that deserves to be called tw@ts exactly?
    They say that you can only insult friends and as I don't know you, that's insulting. I think there's a little hiding behind the shield of 'i'm in the company of like minded souls and I can insult people I don't know' in that statement, if you are perfectly honest. Whereas, i'll stick my neck out without 'cover'.

Anyway, odd comment considering that I know 1 regular Pro Race regular that doesn't actually cycle. Therefore, is it a pre-requisite that on order to be on a cycling forum, you need to own a bike?
    It's a moot point because I do not know anyone on BB that doesn't cycle and if someone has something to add to a forum, especially in an off topic area, then who cares anyway?

Me? I have been cycling for 32 years plus.

BB generally is an eclectic mix of eclectic people who almost never insult each other or call people names (unless in jest or in the constraints and within the culture of the BB). We almost never get into serious arguments and it almost never descends into personal insults. So I find the deep hypocrisy in some of the posts in this thread very amusing.
    BB is more like a chat forum and is filled with people who don't take things or each other too seriously and in actual fact, if you want something really off the wall and no holds barred, go into Crudcatcher. We're saints in comparison.

As a mod, I think that Veronese68 can vouch for the fact that we're actually pretty tolerant and open minded.
    On reflection, more open minded and tolerant than in most areas of the forum.

Why not get stuck in and see instead of looking at it through the wrong end of a telescope?

I think you will find that having a thread to summon your mates to join you in stirring up trouble on other threads is most people's definition of trolling.
  • pinno
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Anyway, odd comment considering that I know 1 regular Pro Race regular that doesn't actually cycle.
    I notice that you suggested that that was me. I own three bikes. Admittedly I don't ride as much as I used to for various reasons and mostly just use the turbo trainer, but I've ridden plenty.

The fact is, I don't care. You are a regular here and no one judges you for how much or how little you cycle.
    There was a little bit of "I'll tell you how many miles I cycle and then you can decide whether to interact with me or not" in paul 8v's line. That;s proper clique mentality to which I guarantee, you RichN are not a part of but others might be, even if it is not explicit.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Lol

Now...telescope?

I think you will find that having a thread to summon your mates to join you in stirring up trouble on other threads is most people's definition of trolling.

It is not a thread to 'summon your mates to join you in stirring up trouble' as I said. Provide evidence of that. It's just an alert because those 'popcorn' threads can be funny and often oh so trivial.
  • Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Lol

Now...telescope?

It is not a thread to 'summon your mates to join you in stirring up trouble' as I said. Provide evidence of that. It's just an alert because those 'popcorn' threads can be funny and often oh so trivial.

by Matthewfalle » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:20 pm

It's about as amusing as an auditors Christmas party.

Right - back on track. Let's find something worth disrupting....
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Lol

Now...telescope?

MF is a loose canon. But, MF is also an army medic who stitches people up in the field in some horrendous situations. You can forgive him if he finds many things banal and goes off on one. That's his release.
    I'm sure he'll be first to thank you for your contribution to his activities/career (vis a vis - the taxpayer).
    Why do people bite? Are sensitivities too sensitive? Why do you take him so seriously?
    He comes out with some whacky stuff at a complete tangent but I have respect for him as I couldn't do his job. Could you?
  • Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Lol

Now...telescope?

MF is a loose canon. But, MF is also an army medic who stitches people up in the field in some horrendous situations. You can forgive him if he finds many things banal and goes off on one. That's his release.
    I'm sure he'll be first to thank you for your contribution to his activities/career (vis a vis - the taxpayer).
    Why do people bite? Are sensitivities too sensitive? Why do you take him so seriously?

I would be surprised if you could find an example of me biting (if you exclude SteveO and Brexit for 8 months)
    I was merely answering your request for evidence with an example from 2 hours ago.
    I am surprised at your surprise in how you are collectively perceived and even more surprised that you are bothered by it.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Lol

Now...telescope?

I would be surprised if you could find an example of me biting (if you exclude SteveO and Brexit for 8 months)
    I was merely answering your request for evidence with an example from 2 hours ago.
    I am surprised at your surprise in how you are collectively perceived and even more surprised that you are bothered by it.

I asked 'Why do people bite?'. I wasn't suggesting you. Touche sir.

The comment: "I am surprised at your surprise in how you are collectively perceived and even more surprised that you are bothered by it." is simply assumption.

What I do find is a collective perception that is mostly unwarranted and unfounded.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I personally am humbled by Pinno's words - its just a job that pays the mortgage at the end of the day. Well, the job doesn't - you lot do, so thank you. You also paid for my Spinergys that rock, so thank you again. Thousands of us do the same sort of thing so I'm nothing special (but I do have more stocks of Haribo than many).

Overall though, forums are forums - they're a bit of trivial fun for us to all chill from day to day stuff - jobs, family, whatever your personal battle is, and everyone has one: as I tell people, life's too serious.

Yes, we'll all disagree and wind each other up and get miffed but I actually do get really surprised when really serious hurtful insults are thrown around - after all, its a forum about bicycles. Yup, bicycles. Not life and death, not anything serious but bicycles.

If people don't want to get roped into random bits, then stay out of the random areas: Crud Catcher, Bottom Bracket, to a certain extent Cake Stop. But at the same time, if you can't handle a gentle bit of joshing without effing, c-ing and blinding, then hey, its time to have a word with yourself.

B/B insults arte generally funny - done in good humour and tongue in cheek., Seeing some PR insults that are thrown around: blimey .........

Its a bicycle forum. Bicycles.

<exits stage left to watch people start on post>.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Another thread bites the dust, just as the Guardian puts the wellie in the Daily Fail, too...

Oooh. What happened? I've been out of the country sans-WiFi. I'd love to see the fail get a kicking

Wikipedia's banned the Fail as a ref source for citations - 'unreliable' (no shoot Sherlock)
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... or-website

Dan 'let nothing stand in my way of making a tit of myself' Hodges of the Fail on Sunday protested muchly on the Twatter. Then Wikipedia's CEO Jimmy Wales threw the killer blow.
  • Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Lol

Now...telescope?

I asked 'Why do people bite?'. I wasn't suggesting you. Touche sir.

The comment: "I am surprised at your surprise in how you are collectively perceived and even more surprised that you are bothered by it." is simply assumption.

What I do find is a collective perception that is mostly unwarranted and unfounded.

if a collective perception is universal does it become warranted and founded? is their such a thing as a self-fulfilling collective perception?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    RichN95 wrote:
    is this a place where we can discuss wiggins without the closed minded getting aggressive and personal causing useful information to get deleted along with the twaddle?
    Does the title refer to Wiggins?

You had a hundred pages to post useful information, but didn't post anything interesting. Any pertinent information can be written in two sentences.

Whereas your aggressive personal off topic attacks caused threads you didn't like to be deleted. Well done. I note this is another contribution you've made.
  • Vino'sGhost
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    I notice that you suggested that that was me. I own three bikes. Admittedly I don't ride as much as I used to for various reasons and mostly just use the turbo trainer now, but I've ridden plenty.
    BAHAHAHAHAHAJAHJHAJAJAJAJJAJAAJ. and you're one of the most insulting hahah. Perhaps you should ride more, chill out love your fellow man.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    BAHAHAHAHAHAJAHJHAJAJAJAJJAJAAJ. and you're one of the most insulting hahah. Perhaps you should ride more, chill out love your fellow man.

Make back-to-back, aggressive, personal attacks claiming that a fellow poster is allegedly aggressive and personal?
    No wonder you never win an argument.

This thread is just another total shiite throwing contest.

Termination with extreme prejudiced require.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Vino'sGhost
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Make back-to-back, aggressive, personal attacks claiming that a fellow poster is allegedly aggressive and personal?
    No wonder you never win an argument.

This thread is just another total shiite throwing contest.

Termination with extreme prejudiced require.

Theres no allegedly about it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Cartoon-Character-Mutley-Laughing.gif
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Hang on, you're supposed to be slagging off the twats in the Bottom Bracket and now you're fighting amongst yourselves.
    To be honest this sort of thing is why both probably appear cliquey to anyone that doesn't regularly post in them. The difference being no specialist knowledge is needed to post in BB, other than being a bit of a twat. Anyone is welcome over there, just join in. The humour is pretty childish, but as mentioned further up this is only a cycling forum on the internet, it's not something worth getting het up over. I have often said the tone can get lost when reading someones post, if something can be taken one of two ways try reading it with a smile on your face and a little tongue in cheek. Hopefully it wasn't intended to offend. Think of it more as a bunch of blokes talking bollox in a pub, there will be a lot of good natured pisstaking.
    In here knowledge about racing is required, unsurprisingly. I guess as it is something people follow passionately feelings will run high. But to an outsider it can come across as being cliquey and a bit intimidating. I enjoy watching a bit of racing, but I don't follow it enough to be anything like an expert and I tend not to post on here due to my lack of knowledge.
    I will add that following on from TWH's comment about the split up of Cake Stop and Bottom Bracket after the row with some of the commuters I made a point of using more of the forum as I hate tribal us and them type attitudes. Yes, there was a bit of mickey taking at first, but I'm big enough and ugly enough to handle it. I'm not keen on trolling for a reaction, but I'm not above taking a cheap shot at times by any stretch. The main thing to remember is this is only a bit of fun and a distraction from the serious things in life.
    Hope that makes sense, kept getting interrupted by pesky customers.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Veronese68 wrote:
    In here knowledge about racing is required, unsurprisingly. I guess as it is something people follow passionately feelings will run high. But to an outsider it can come across as being cliquey and a bit intimidating. I enjoy watching a bit of racing, but I don't follow it enough to be anything like an expert and I tend not to post on here due to my lack of knowledge.

Being relatively new to PR (I first visted during last year's TdF) I found the newbie thread quite helpful, and the response on the daily stage threads quite welcoming. It is more serious in here than, say, the footie threads in BB, but there is enough lightheaterd banter once you get accustomed to the 'tone' of the conversation. I'm by no means a regular (nor intending to be), but I'll certainly be following this years GT's here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    If you're new and you want to talk doping, you're in for a rough ride.

If you want to talk about racing, it's a lot easier.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Theres not much knowledge of racing either :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Who's talking about knowledge?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Veronese68 wrote:

I think it is quite a welcoming place. Especially spoiler threads. The thing with cycling is that there are long periods of time in which nothing happens, so there is ample opportunity to ask questions and discuss pretty much anything. As with all forums it has its divisive subjects, the biggest one is probably Sky (doping, boring, kit, whatever), but if you steer clear of that then all is well.

My other recommendation would be to play PTP.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    The original purpose of this thread was to highlight the fact that The Bottom Bracket crew play a game where they go off round the forum to disrupt threads and brag about it.

Hopefully that is now clear, and it's always worth checking in BB once a thread here gets into double digit pages!

Enough
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Oops...Thought I would be able to lock my own thread.

Can we just pretend it's locked and get back to more pressing matters.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    This could indeed be a historic day. Time for a group hug guys...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ridgerider wrote:
    The original purpose of this thread was to highlight the fact that The Bottom Bracket crew play a game where they go off round the forum to disrupt threads and brag about it.

Hopefully that is now clear, and it's always worth checking in BB once a thread here gets into double digit pages!

Enough

Well -

You started this thread trying to portray innocent, kind, gentle, caring, comedic Bracketeers as bad people: tyrants, bullies, imbeciles, rapists, those who purvey dark onto light. The bringers of sadness, of sorrow. Those who steal joy only replace it with disappointment and the yearning for joy.

Instead it's turned out that the PR dudes are the worse ones: within 3 pages you're arguing, cussing, bickering, accusing, finger pointing. Verbally stabbing, hitting, kicking, biting, scratching, slapping, spitting, slashing, shooting.

Bracketeers have shown loyalty, humility, gratefulness in this thread. Our posts have been humble, supportive of all forumites. PR have not.

And now you want to lock the thread down because it's not a Bracketeers slagfest. This is wrong. Freedom of speech is to be supported, welcomed and guarded.

I think that this shows something about your theories, but I shall allow you to make up your mind.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.