Are you a believer in god?

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,145
    I don't believe in God, and think religion has done far more harm than good, certainly in my lifetime.

So I am disgusted that when I send my children to a primary school they get taught that God created the world and have group prayers (primary school is not church affiliated). I'm also disgusted there is so little choice for non-religious schools higher up the age range. And don't get me started on non-religious parents that convert just to get their children in the right school, that just perpetuates the whole charade.

I'd be happy if my daughters chose themselves to believe but I object to ramming the issue down their thoughts before they have developed the ability to be objective about the whole thing.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    City Boy wrote:
    No. There is no evidence for any supernatural being but plenty of proof that humans invent gods.

I've just finished reading Sapiens by Yuval Harari (highly recommended btw) and he provides a number of compelling hypotheses as to how many man made fictions such as currency, politics, morality and religion (etc.) have played critical roles in human social evolution for both good and bad.

As others have said though, if someone adds value or meaning to their life through faith then good on them. Providing they don't try to impose their beliefs on others then they can believe what they like.
    Have a read of 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins. Quite relevant to this thread.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:
    No. There is no evidence for any supernatural being but plenty of proof that humans invent gods.

I've just finished reading Sapiens by Yuval Harari (highly recommended btw) and he provides a number of compelling hypotheses as to how many man made fictions such as currency, politics, morality and religion (etc.) have played critical roles in human social evolution for both good and bad.

As others have said though, if someone adds value or meaning to their life through faith then good on them. Providing they don't try to impose their beliefs on others then they can believe what they like.
    Have a read of 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins. Quite relevant to this thread.

I've just started it actually mate :)

God is not Great by the late, great Christopher Hitchens is also another good read.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    super_davo wrote:
    So I am disgusted that when I send my children to a primary school they get taught that God created the world .

do you let them believe in Santa, tooth fairy and easter bunny ... or have you just issues with religious imaginary friends ?
  • FocusZing wrote:
    Who created the who?
    Pete Townshend
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,145
    As far as I'm aware, nobody has flown planes into the side of buildings killing thousands of people because a particular country doesn't believe in the same tooth fairy as they do.
    I'm not a huge fan of teaching my kids those things too, but accept that it's part of the magic of childhood so go along. At least I know they'll stop believing when they are older.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    super_davo wrote:
    I don't believe in God, and think religion has done far more harm than good, certainly in my lifetime.

So I am disgusted that when I send my children to a primary school they get taught that God created the world and have group prayers (primary school is not church affiliated). I'm also disgusted there is so little choice for non-religious schools higher up the age range. And don't get me started on non-religious parents that convert just to get their children in the right school, that just perpetuates the whole charade.

I'd be happy if my daughters chose themselves to believe but I object to ramming the issue down their thoughts before they have developed the ability to be objective about the whole thing.

Merry Christmas... Oh, I guess you won't be celebrating it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:

I've just started it actually mate :)

God is not Great by the late, great Christopher Hitchens is also another good read.
    Never knew I was psychic...

Ta for the tip on that other book.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • joe2008 wrote:

Fortunately there were celebrations at this time of year long before Jesus.

Personally I'm celebrating the passing of the winter solstice and the days getting longer again.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I think this bloke has it just about right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj6XAvuRn4Q
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    edited December 2016
    Potential believer, pending proof. Until then I'll life my life as if it doesn't exist.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    ^Are you in a prison cell 8-/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Don't know what I believe any more to be honest. It doesn't make sense that there is some all powerful being but then the creation of something out of nothing and the existence of creatures with free thought and conscience rather than just the urge to survive (individually and as a species) makes no sense either.

I wonder how many lifelong atheists have a doubt at the end of their lives.

As for the argument of which God is the right God causing wars and violence, I'm not convinced that's quite right. I'm pretty sure that Christians, Jews and Muslims all believe in the same God and that Muslims even accept Jesus as a prophet (as do Jews). The arguments are over interpretation of how that God wants us to behave, which is really just humans battling for power and supremacy, is the cause of the violence. There's also a big difference between belief in God and following a religion.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    I'm not but I'm a respecter of those that do save for the pillocks. Saw a facebooker saying god wanted Trump to be pres and that he allowed O'Bama to get the gig to prepare them.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    bartman100 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Who created the who?
    Pete Townshend

Worshipping false idol :roll:

Roger daltry started the Detours and recruited Townsend, and then he changed the name of the Detours to The Who :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    joe2008 wrote:

Fortunately there were celebrations at this time of year long before Jesus.

Personally I'm celebrating the passing of the winter solstice and the days getting longer again.

I have to admit I find it difficult to 'believe'.

My wife has a faith, but doesn't believe in organised religion; she is happy, settled, and free... that's a position I am hoping to migrate to.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    NeXXus wrote:
    No but I often came top in RE exams somehow

One year I got 97% in Maths and 6% in RE.

That possibly indicates my level of belief/interest.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Joelsim wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    No but I often came top in RE exams somehow

One year I got 97% in Maths and 6% in RE.

That possibly indicates my level of belief/interest.
    Maybe I held the pen and god wrote the answers, I dunno :mrgreen:
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    Not at all.
    "Christmas" is a bloody good pagan celebration ruined by the introduction of religion.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i really dont know, science certainly doesnt have the answers and i d not put my faith in Hawkin et el thats its like a grain of sand telling you how the beach got there.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Not at all.
    "Christmas" is a bloody good pagan celebration ruined by the introduction of religion.

This reminded me of a quote from Christopher Hitchens (not sure if he was quoting someone else tbh)...

"Good men will do good things and evil men will do evil things. To get good men to do evil...you need religion for that!"
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I'm not a believer, but I don't care what others believe as long as they don't force their beliefs onto other people, including their own children (I'm 100% opposed to circumcision, for example), and as long as they respect their right for me to voice my objections, just as they can voice their objections to my beliefs.

I think my lack of belief pretty much stems from my non-belief in humans having a soul. I've known Jews, Christians and Muslims who believe in evolution, but for me that begs the question of when did humans first get a soul, if we did evolve? At what point did god(s) first decide that we are now separate enough from other species and should be judged for our actions? I don't know enough about Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. to be able to discuss their views on the subject, but I could never reconcile the Abrahamic faiths' belief that humans uniquely have souls, with my acceptance of evolutionary science.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    finchy wrote:
    I'm 100% opposed to circumcision, for example)
    Gonna have to stop you there pal, as the non-owner of a foreskin for medical reasons. Never 100% in owt, apart from Trump n Farridge being VOLTs.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    LukeTC wrote:

Or the bloke with the head of an elephant for that matter (Ganesh, not the actual Elephant man, that guy had it rough...)

I often wonder if the hindus would have chosen this form for one of their gods if they'd never seen an elephant. :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    orraloon wrote:
    finchy wrote:
    Gonna have to stop you there pal, as the non-owner of a foreskin for medical reasons. Never 100% in owt, apart from Trump n Farridge being VOLTs.

OK, just to clarify, I'm opposed to circumcision on religious grounds, obviously if there are medical reasons that's different.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    No. It's horse54it. I was raised a Catholic but now believe that 99% of conflict and war is over religious bollox.

And I'm with Sartre on hell: "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Fully committed atheist here :D

Religion is nonsense, and responsible for holding back the human race for thousands of years, I loathe it.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    orraloon wrote:
    finchy wrote:

No skin off my nose.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Nope.

Religion was a construct started by the educated few to control the uneducated masses. Seemingly billions are still hoodwinked.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.