SPOTY 2016

12346»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Timoid. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I go to the Cheltenham Gold Cup every year and my horse knowledge is very limited

Great race, just too many punters. And they've watered it down too much going to the four day schedule. The support card for the gold cup isn't good enough.
    While I don't know much, I have noticed that there have been more short price favourites in recent years, which may be due to what you say.

My (our) favourite memory is from the amateur race a few years back when we were all heavily on one horse. It was coming second in the run in when the clear leader randomly ran into the railings. We made loads and lived high on the hog for the night.

I still remember the Gold Cup commentary one year - "At the turn everyone still in the running except Lord Windemere"

So, it's Thistlecrack v Cue Card this year I believe. I remember those names.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    As Richie Benaud used to say, "Never bet on anything that can talk".
    Time to bet on Warner scoring a couple of hundreds in Melbourne.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    They're getting narrower mind, and personally, betting on smaller races is a bit of a mugs game because not everyone's in it to win it...

That's part of the bet. For example, I backed Tony Martin this year for P-R as he was very long odds. He was supposed to be riding in support of Tommeke, but I couldn't believe EQS would waste such a talent like that. I was wrong. That was my bet.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    TheBigBean wrote:
    They're getting narrower mind, and personally, betting on smaller races is a bit of a mugs game because not everyone's in it to win it...

That's part of the bet. For example, I backed Tony Martin this year for P-R as he was very long odds. He was supposed to be riding in support of Tommeke, but I couldn't believe EQS would waste such a talent like that. I was wrong. That was my bet.

Why waste the money?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Yeah.

That’s what the bet is. After being very rational about putting it on, the main point of the bet is to make the race more exciting than it otherwise is. When I saw Gasparotto winning Amstel Gold and I had him a week later at 120-1 I was practically giddy with excitement.

When Bouhani’s chain dropped when he was in the PERFECT position in MSR, I literally threw my remote control across the room in pure despair and disappointment. Great fun.

Had Boonen won P-R I was in for some decent wedge at 20 -1.

Can’t really get that exciting about a chipper, even if I have money on it.
  • Lost money each time I've check down the notes on a race (ok, only 5 times tbf)

Betting on SPOTY, OTOH...quids in
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    I remember your Bouhanni strop :D:D:D

RR2 you trying to vaguely bring this thread back on topic?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    dish_dash wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Why waste the money?

Waste? As RIck says I was buying entertainment, but it is more that, I was buying proof that I was right and that he could win. I like to be right. Of course, as it turns out, I was wrong, but that is easily forgotten.

I still think he could win. Just not in the same team as Tommeke.

Back in the day, I used to deal blackjack. A number of the punters would talk about good and bad players, and about how someone shouldn't have taken a card because statistically.....

In my mind, the best player wasn't at the table, the second best player was the one having fun at the table, and the worst player was the one that knew all the stats, knew that they would lose in the long run, but was sitting there getting grumpy about the people having fun.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    TheBigBean wrote:

Back in the day, I used to deal blackjack. A number of the punters would talk about good and bad players, and about how someone shouldn't have taken a card because statistically.....

In my mind, the best player wasn't at the table, the second best player was the one having fun at the table, and the worst player was the one that knew all the stats, knew that they would lose in the long run, but was sitting there getting grumpy about the people having fun.
    I'm the second best blackjack player! A croupier says so.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yeah.

That’s what the bet is. After being very rational about putting it on, the main point of the bet is to make the race more exciting than it otherwise is. When I saw Gasparotto winning Amstel Gold and I had him a week later at 120-1 I was practically giddy with excitement.

When Bouhani’s chain dropped when he was in the PERFECT position in MSR, I literally threw my remote control across the room in pure despair and disappointment. Great fun.

Had Boonen won P-R I was in for some decent wedge at 20 -1.

Can’t really get that exciting about a chipper, even if I have money on it.

Yeah that's my betting approach. I put down £1 or whatever and it makes the race more interesting.

Although I don't have exactly the same issue with chippers, I'll watch basically any bike race - it's still a race. Within reason obviously.

Saw you could bet on the UK national hill climbs - looked to be some very good odds if you knew the field, I can't imagine many bets were placed!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Saw you could bet on the UK national hill climbs - looked to be some very good odds if you knew the field, I can't imagine many bets were placed!
    Same levels of betting as a Tdf stage in 2015 according to Paddy Power:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ips-196743
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    thegibdog wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Same levels of betting as a Tdf stage in 2015 according to Paddy Power:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ips-196743

That makes me very happy!